EA SPORTS NCAA Football 12: Help shape the cannons

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by RynoAid, Apr 6, 2011.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid Learn to live above your circumstances.

EA SPORTS reached out to the NCAA Football community today and is requesting information on teams with cannon traditions during their games.

"We are looking to find out what type of cannons a school uses at their home stadium (either the modern military style, or the classic “western” style), if the cannon is fired after every touchdown, and if the cannon is located inside the stadium (i.e. on the field)."

If you have info about specific traditions related to your school, post them here and i will send them in.

2. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

Central Michigan shoots the cannon off after every point, including extra points. The cannon is placed to the right of the building on the open side of the stadium, on the hill. It's a modern military one operated by the ROTC.
  3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Added link to spreadsheet in first post.
  4. abolishthefed

abolishthefed 5 Star Recruit

Football Cannon: Blasts are fired at the beginning of each home game, at the end of each quarter, and after every Rocket score. The Toledo community will continue to hear the continuous score of the Rockets football team through the mighty sound of the cannon at each home game.

http://www.coachbeckman.com/tradition.html

ATHLETICS
    The Football Cannon

Everyone who attends a Rockets football game knows when UT scores by the traditional “boom” of the cannon. The cannon originates from a Pi Kappa Phi member who bartered his cannon for his fraternity dues because he was short on money. The cannon is a Civil War era model, one of the oldest around. In 1953, the men of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity fired the first cannon shot at a Rocket’s football game from aloft the northeast Blockhouse in the Glass Bowl stadium. The cannon continued to be fired from this position until 1989, when the cannon had to be moved to the field because of structural concerns with the Blockhouse. In 1990, the cannon was fired from the northwest corner of the end zone. Then during the beginning of the 1995 football season, because of concerns of the on-field media, the administration decided to move the cannon once more to its present day position in the southeast corner of the field near the student section. Blasts are fired at the beginning of each home game, at the end of each quarter, and after every Rocket score. The Toledo community will continue to hear the continuous score of the Rockets football team through the mighty sound of the cannon at each home game.

Edit (by bsta93): The cannon no longer resides on the field. It was moved after a wide receiver was shoved into it during a game in 2009, I believe it was the Colorado game. The cannon is now located on a pillar in the northeast part of the stadium, on top of the football building.
  5. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Cincinnati Bearcats do this as well after they score a touchdown, cannons are fired.
  6. CyclONE NATION

CyclONE NATION 1 Star Recruit

Iowa State University

The touchdown cannon at Jack Trice is owned and operated by Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity. It is located in the northwest corner of the stadium and is fired after every TD, FG and extra point. Western style cannon. Pictures available upon request.
    The Parrothead likes this.
  7. ryalaman

ryalaman 5 Star Recruit

The University of Maryland fires off a cannon after every score (TD, FG, XP). It's located by the open end of the field next to the inflatable Testudo. I don't have a picture of it right now (and I actually can't find one online) but its fairly small and I can swing by and get a picture if necessary.
  8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

**Hater Alert!**

I hope they got gameplay in order before they worry about 'little shit' like this #justsayin'

Hater 1 Out.

Edit:

**Hater 1 Back Online**

I think its cool they're trying to get the atmosphere right. Just thought I'd say something positive, trying some new things in my life so that I look at things on the 'bright side'.

Hater 1 Out. (Again!)
    Big Suge Knight likes this.
  9. RynoAid

this thread is for cannon information, not commentary on your opinion about the game.... thanks
    JFunk34, Cimmy24 and G-Unit5281 like this.
  10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Spreadsheet is looking pretty weak. I'll see what I can do today to gather some info for you @RynoAid
  11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Missouri -

[​IMG]

Located in north endzone. Fired after every score. Nicknamed "Little Joe"
  12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Iowa State -

I've seen some articles saying they have one, can't get a picture. Maybe @Emmdotfrisk has better knowledge (y)
  13. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Texas -

[​IMG]

"Smokey the Cannon" Fired when Longhorns score, at every kick-off, and at the end of each quarter. South endzone
  14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Texas A&M -

[​IMG]

Located off of Kyle Field behind the ?South End Zone?
  15. RynoAid

actually The Gaming Tailgate has taken what we put up and added to what OS and TGT have done and we got almost all of them.
  16. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Yeah I just saw that
  17. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

I embedded the sheet to make it easier.
  18. The Parrothead

The Parrothead 4 Star Recruit

They've got one. I went to school there during the glory days of winning 1-2 games per year. Best picture I can find is right here:

[​IMG]
  19. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward 4 Star Recruit

Are there any threads for stuff other than just cannons? I would REALLY like to see Kansas have the white alternate helmets they wore in the Border War be in the game. I'm Western Kentucky in a dynasty and they have so many alternates at everything. KU had alternates in the 2009 border war where they had a jayhawk on the helmet instead of KU and they added the blue pants to this years game but not th helmet. I love the white helmets so I would just like to see them in there.
  20. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

Virginia Tech fires a cannon after any Virginia Tech score. The cannon is outside the stadium at the practice field.