Planetside 2

Discussion in 'Tradition Shooters' started by MaxATX34, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

www.planetside2.com

I've heard some chatter around the site about this game... Anyone else going to pick it up? I played PS1 and it was really fun. Its a Massively Multi-Player Online FPS. No monthly subscription!!! PS2 looks pretty sick, and I think it has something for everyone.

It was years and years ago since I played so I have lost touch with my outfit (guild/clan) and was thinking about making a TSO Outfit when the game drops.

They have a beta buy-in offer right now that looks pretty cool. Anyone get that? If I wasnt swamped with school I'd be all over it (and am honestly still considering it haha). I'll post some gameplay vids when I get chance. It really does look amazing, but you have to have a good PC to run it well.
  2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. _MG_

_MG_ Where Cheesers Dare

Is it free to play still like I heard last year?
  4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Yes. From the wiki:

So there will be a cash shop, but it wont sell items that give you an advantage in gameplay (like you cant buy a better gun or better armor/mech/vehicle).
  5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

A couple of pretty cool vids I found on www.reddit.com/r/planetside

Careful w the audio... dude will start talking and his voice is louder than gameplay

-

Funny vid. The guy sees PS as a series of cool events and wanted to make a vid that showed how it "feels" to play Planetside2 lol
  6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Woohoo!!! Just got my beta key...

I'll post impressions later
  7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Waiting...
  8. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Meh. I am sort of dissapoint. It is kind of weak compared to PS1. I know its a beta so I expected it to be clunky and all that, but a lot of the gameplay that made PS1 great just isnt there. The way you cap bases and stuff make for a hectic front-line and makes it difficult to figure out where the battles will be next. the bases design favor attackers WAY too much and basically make it a "who can get the most people to overrun this shit" game. some exp. mechanics promote sitting AFK for hours... just not a great product yet. I still havent put a lot of time into it... but I wasnt as impressed as I wanted to be.

It will still be pretty fun I am sure, the open-field combat is cool and the flying is cool (tough to do though) but it damn sure isnt PS1.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. Keller

Wow huge buzzkill for me. Guess I will do the whole wait and see thing. I was pretty pumped about this game initially - time to turn my interest to War Z.
  10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Same here. PS1 was so much fun. It was a big part of my gaming history so maybe it is just personal bias. The Free 2 Play aspect might entice me into buying anyway. It still has the potential to be epic if they make some tweaks here and there.
  11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It bugs me when they make a trailer that's so over the top that the gameplay can't come close to matching it. Not that I was going to buy it anyway, but the part where they are jetpacking around from air vehicle to air vehicle and all that... No way you can do anything like that in the game, just dumb.
  12. OzcarL

OzcarL 1 Star Recruit

So this will be free on the psn store?
  13. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

The game isnt free. It just wont have a monthly subscription.
  14. Keller

FWIW I've been playing the Beta for about a week now and I've enjoyed myself for the most part. The sheer scale of things is just immense, and the credits system for purchasing stuff is really a drag because it just seems impossible to ever get all the things you want BUT despite its drawbacks its been fun.

Its not a homerun by any stretch of the imagination, not for me at least, but its definitely worth checking out. Its not like any other FPS I've ever played - not with the scale of things.
    MaxATX34 likes this.
  15. _MG_

_MG_ Where Cheesers Dare

Game coming out tomorrow, anyone going to play?
  16. Keller

I've been playing the beta on PC.... the scale of things is just nuts. Definitely worth checking out but so far it doesn't seem to be my bag exactly.