The Ten Commandments of Realism

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Shaun Mason, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Really? Some aspect of that has to be commandment worthy actual game speed then? I don't know what it is but there is a definite drop off in speed with pads on vs. an official 40 time. Then there are those guys that are faster. Morris can definitely get past and away from guys IRL, I haven't played with him in Madden. Shit before Lynch went BEAST MODE in the playoffs two seasons ago he was an 82. Micheal Bush is another good Example.
  2. Raidernation

Understood, not the ability to do it but the success rate of it. Sorta like how NCAA has it where the route is scrambled etc.
  3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

The part of that statement that bothers me is that their speed was changed after they became successful. Speed is tangible, damn near every player in the NFL goes through the combine, a 4.5 = X shouldn't change if he runs for 1,000 yards.
  4. Shaun Mason

I agree. There should be some penalty to hot routing like Peyton Manning if you are using John Skelton.
  5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but in the NFL aren't hot routes kind of pre determined depending on the play? I wish it was like that in the game. I "THOUGHT" that it was sort of like the WR & the QB both have to read/acknowledge that there's a blitz coming and they'll have to throw it hot. The biproduct of that is that one receiver runs a "hot route" exploiting a weakness in the defense that's applicable to the play.

What doesn't happen? The Qb standing there basically audibling every route for that play.
  6. Keller

How about this:

The way you call plays in the game should reflect the way coaches call the plays in real life.

I'm not an NFL coach or even a High School coach but I'm pretty sure they don't just call plays like "4-3 over cover 3" - I could be wrong though.
    Cheez likes this.
  7. Shaun Mason

A "hot" route in real life is a route that is modified by a signal to give the QB an outlet on a blitz play.
  8. Keller

I think I'm confusing myself with option routes then - which I also believe there are far too few of.... even so I don't believe they work as they should
  9. Shaun Mason

NFL-Defensive-Call-Sheet-002-640x880.jpg
    Will Atkinson, Baron, RynoAid and 3 others like this.
  10. antcap24

antcap24 4 Star Recruit

Id like for the injuries to be like IRL. Less 14 week broken collarbones and more game to game nagging injuires that require a status: Out, Doubtful, Questionable, Probable...

As a coach you choose to start or sit.

With each injury comes a price. If a player is questionable with a sprain ankle, you choose to start him. He should not have the same speed he does at full strength. (see RGIII in playoffs)

So my commandment:

Injuries to be reflective of a particular status and the dynamic changes that co-exist with that injury
  11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx HK 15' Seahawks !

2K is like that , injured players can still play but they are not effective & get a ratings drop
  12. antcap24

antcap24 4 Star Recruit

To expand on this, if you choose to rest your player during the week of practice due to his injury he would have a drop in play recognition that week as he did not have practice reps against the scout team to practice against that weeks opponent.

Stuff like that.
    CHUNKNESS likes this.
  13. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

LOL We call our 4-3 set - Red from there to get to Cover 3 we would call Cloudy which Tells the SS he has the Flat

Every body else plays deep 3rd. It changes if we call different people. As the secondary has names. If we want a cover 2/4 they each have their own designed name.
  14. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

Not sure if this has been touched on already, but my 3 biggest pet peeves:

1) Presentation - I am a huge presentation guy and honestly presentation is just as if not more important than gameplay to me. Madden's presentation totally sucks. It is completely unrealistic. EVERY aspect is: announcing, environment interaction, pre / post-game presentation, GM decision making, etc etc. 2K sports has really opened my eyes to how fluid game presentation can be this year. Every aspect of announcing, stats, and team association progresses with time. For example, if Luck wins 4 SB's and 5 MVP's in a CCM, the announcers only introduce him as a "first-round pick". They don't talk about his achievments or failures since then. The announcing doesn't grow with the CCM. It should be able to talk the next game, the last game, the last season, the last playoff loss, the future of the franchise, etc. There is no difference in game atmosphere in a pre-season game vs a conference championship game. The environment is all the same. Announcers sound like they are just audio clips played off of a sound board, as opposed to actually watching and broadcasting the game. There is 0 interaction on with the sidelines, with the field turf, with the fans, with the opponents. These little details go a long way to making a game enjoyable and add re-play value.

2) Strategy - Let me pre-face this by saying, I am fully aware they can not make a game on the same level strategy-wise as the real NFL. However, ALOT can be done to improve this game. EA needs to realize that the average consumer for this game is a 16-28 YO male and not a 10 YO boy. My point is there is no real strategy involved in this game. No real "football knowledge" is required to excel in Madden, it is overly dependent on stick skills. I can not make a game plan for my next opponent. I can not make a script for my first 15 plays of the game. I can not make group substitutions. I can not alter a gameplan to defend a particular player. I can not tell my O-line to double Jared Allen. In online CCM I can't even hire a coaching staff. I like where EA is going with this legacy thing. Just as you guys are saying a rookie QB shouldn't be able to hot-route, a rookie coach should be at a strategical disadvantage also. Maybe like new coaches have less plays in their playbooks, and less productivity from their players.

3) Physics - The run physics are very flawed. The juking, spin moves, and schange of pace / direction all need to be improved like the infinity improved tackling. A player should not be able to run sideways faster than a defender can run straight ahead. A player should not be at top speed 2 steps after taking the handoff. A players speed should be slower in the 4th quarter than it was in the 1st quarter.

These things all directly affect realism.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 4 Star Recruit

Piggy Backing on this, there seems to be a slight acceleration after a catch from a Receiver and also the wildcat. Once they get the ball, they accelerate and then i guess go to normal speed.
  16. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

A new blocking algorithm that incorporates angle, skill set, and size/mass difference between both engaged.
    fuzzyl0gic and Baron like this.
  17. Shaun Mason

This isn't a wishlist thread. It's a "what is realism" meta thread.

Anyone else want to contribute?
  18. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 4 Star Recruit

I got a few more.

Gray out some plays when using a bad QB

Many times, we hear rookie qbs or backup qbs having the playbook reduced if they have to play due to a starter being injured. Some qbs dont have a full grasp of the playbook. Gray out certain plays out of the playbook if you plan to play a shitty qb because he is fast. He might be fast, but he sure if is a derp, gray out them plays because idiot qbs dont know alot of the playbook. Realism!!

Nerf Turbo Button

A player should not have the same speed/attributes as he did coming into the game and at the end of the game. Every player has that wear and tear during the game and gameplay should be reflected that way. I think it is pretty unrealistic to be able to hold down the turbo button the whole time and run around with your player. Realistically, if I hold down the turbo button all the time with my rb, he should wear down and run slower as the game progresses. Perhaps he gains his speed after halftime, but it should never be 100%. If I use a LB and hold down turbo, he should get real tired as the game progresses and become slower. Now if you control your player straight up, he still gets tired, except he might be able to run faster when needed as he conserved energy, like a battery. For me to use anybody and hold down the turbo button and he has the same speed and attributes in the 4th quarter as he did in the 1st quarter is unrealistic. Players get tired over the course of the game, as far as I Know, a player gets tired in Madden and gets taken out a few plays and then comes back 100%. Not real.

Nerf the Catch button

Yes, the catch button is overpowered and only takes somebody to hold the button for it to have your player react to the ball on offense/defense. Really, it doesn’t take too much skill to hold the button. In the old madden, you have to press the button so precisely to make a play on the ball, that is why usering was pretty hard way back when, IMO. Now, you just hold onto the button, it really dumbed down the game and made it easier to get interceptions. EA needs to promote realistic plays on the ball and not allow for me holding onto the catch button before the ball gets there to make a play. A lot of the times, the defender should have knocked the ball down because he was not in position, but instead, I can hold onto the button and get a pick because the catch button helps warp them into position. THis is actually for both offense and defense. Throw this in with the unlimited acceleration, pick city.

Defensive assist button

I am actually not sure if this is in the game or not, i know it was in m10 and m11 for all pro and lower, if it is in m13, get rid of that weak ass stuff. Please!
  19. Shaun Mason

You are missing the point of the original post. I'm not taking about mechanisms to make the game more realistic, I'm talking about "what is realistic". These are all mechanisms. Put it in the wishlist thread.
  20. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Recruiter, Quality Simulation Football

Stadiums should appear/sound as they do at the actual NFL. Madden should emulate those sounds. Crowd chants specific with each stadium both during and in between plays. Stadium noise should correlate with what is going on at that moment in the game (possession, score, field position, time remaining). For example.; if the away team is driving, the home crowd should be roaring in attempt to throw off the opposing offense unless the game is a blowout and/or scoring no longer matters. That crowd noise should have a bearing on how effective quarterbacks or defenses are that make play (not individual assignment) audibles at the line. The fans in the stands and the players on the sidelines should react with the current activity in the game.
  21. Keller

Are you saying that this is too complex to implement in the game?

I wish playcalling was more like this than what we have now. I don't know enough about how real plays are called and how scheme's are built to say one way or another, but it looks really freaking cool to me.

I maintain my above post until i hear otherwise:
    The way you call plays in the game should reflect the way coaches call the plays in real life.
  22. Shaun Mason

Could we generalize that more?
  23. Raidernation

Didn't they have the game plan feature a year or two ago? It'd be nice to have that integrated into the start of the CCM process. Define your scheme, plays, and situational calls = SIM.
  24. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson 2 Star Recruit

Situational play-calling that would coincide with the gameplan that you drew up that week..

If the offense comes out in formation "X" on a certain down and distance, you would have only a select few plays to choose from based on how you tailored your gameplan.. If you draw up a shitty gameplan then you will pay the price... Only in a video game are players prepared EVERY WEEK to run EVERY PLAY.. Add this to the Connected Careers and leave the arcade gameplay for the lobby players..
  25. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson 2 Star Recruit

And if that could be accompanied with a theater mode to watch film on your opponent, I would pitch a denim tent.