1-5-5 Defense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by wildcatter78, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

1-5-5 Defense

Will someone please give me an example of a University that runs this defense? I'm not sure I have ever seen a team come out in this alignment.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm not sure, but from what I've read on OS, this is a pretty cheesy defense because I think you only have 1 D-lineman which, in real life, would mean that the O-line would be shoving the defense all over the place, but in NCAA, you can get as much, if not more pressure with a 1-5-5 or a 3-2-6 (I think using run commits) which is totally unrealistic.

In a straight league like this one, I'd be wary of running defenses like this (especially against formations like twin TEs like everyone does online) as it'll almost certainly be considered cheese and against the rules.

I know that if I played against someone that played a 3-2-6 and 1-5-5 all game and totally shut down my running game, while also shutting down my pass, I'd be pretty pissed off.

3. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

I totally agree and my question was posed in order for me to eventually make some of your points. We might as well just ban the 1-5-5 because no team uses this formation in college football. 1-5-5 and show blitz is just weak in my opinion to anyone that uses this tactic. Then throw in the run commit.

The 1-5-5, 3-2-6 & Quarters defense were effective last year at stopping the run because of the terrible run blocking by the AI. Now, EA has improved the run blocking but threw in the run commit which, again, makes these defenses lethal against the run.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

it's velveeta

5. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Well, it doesn't seem anyone can name a team in college football that currently uses this defensive alignment.

So, how about a gentleman's agreement amongst the OFFL-MM not to use this defense against the CPU or other users?

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Signed...

7. shane79013

shane79013 Walk On

actually it was used quite a few times last year against Georgia Tech. it didnt work at all. that was proven in the Florida State game.:(

however it is deadly effective against the fleXbox One in this game. well actually now that i think about it pretty much any run game in the game.

i dont even have it in the defesne play book i use so im all for not using it in this league.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I am going to post a link to this thread in the general OFFL discussion board. This seems like it could easily become a league-wide rule. I don't have the 1-5-5 in my playbook, and if I did I would never run it. The 3-2-6 I do use on 3rd and long situations, which is clearly NOT what you guys are talking about here. It was a huge problem in 09 with dime backs stuffing offensive tackles, and it doesn't seem fully fixed.

9. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I remember a couple years ago the Patriots running it during a Sunday or Monday night game. Possibly against the Colts? I know the question was any college but that is the only time I can recall anyone running that defense.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It seems like there are occasions when this defense is used. It seems to exist for at least some small purpose. I'm totally against anyone making it (or the 3-2-6) a base d, but I don't know it it needs to be thrown out. But I'd be fine with whatever the guys want. Makes no real difference to me.

AG

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It seems like there are occasions when this defense is used. It seems to exist for at least some small purpose. I'm totally against anyone making it (or the 3-2-6) a base d, but I don't know it it needs to be thrown out. But I'd be fine with whatever the guys want. Makes no real difference to me.

AG

12. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

The 3-3-5 stack is almost as bad. It is basically like running a 4-2-5 show blitz the whole game, except you get one faster guy on the field. It can stop runs from twin TE sets and cover Shotgun 5 WR with the same play call.

13. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Thanks for the responses. Here in Big 12 country, I have never seen this defense alignment, although some might say we rarely see any defensive alignments the way the offenses are destroying the defenses.

I agree this defense has its uses but I believe those to be on the video game only. I can only see this defense being used by a college or pro team on a very limited situational basis at best. Which lead me to wonder why it is in the video game.

14. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Hi, I'm in my first year with the OFFL East and I'm not sure if my input matters since I'm in a different league from this one but I noticed Ole Miss use that alignment against Alabama in 3rd and long last year but they would put in defensive ends as line backers and use different blitzing techniques. In my opinion it should be atleast allowed in 3rd in long situations. With really good linebackers or defensive end this technique is and should be very effective, hence why the patriots have been known to use it.

15. shane79013

shane79013 Walk On

sorry but the 3-3-5 can do that in real life also. We ran the 3-3-5 stack at the college i played at.

16. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Good point Papa Perry and thanks for the examples. I knew there had to be some out there!

17. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

In my opinion, i would allow it as long as no one abuses it and uses it every play. I use the Multiple D playbook and even though I have only one user game, Colemanchu can tell you I did use it but I don't beleive I abused it. In fact I believe he scored against me a couple of times i used it.