#1 Clemson vs #4 Florida State

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by hornfaninbama, Aug 15, 2013.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Top 5 Matchup in Death Valley
    #4 FSU Visits #1 Clemson
    [​IMG]

Clemson, SC- Death Valley is always rocking, but this week there will be more excitement and noise than normal as the hated Florida State Seminoles make a visit to Clemson. Clemson vs FSU is always a heated, physical game, but with both teams ranked in the Top 5 in both the AP and Coaches poll, it could get chippier than usual.
    [​IMG]
    FSU's offense is led by RS Freshman Jameis Winston. The Alabama native spurned his homestate Crimson Tide and Auburn to sign with the Seminoles, and so far the #1 QB in the 2011 class has lived up to the hype. Winston is 83 of 121 for 1072 yards 9 TD's and 8 interceptions. He does an excellent job spreading the ball around with 5 different receivers over 14 catches for the season. Senior Kenny Shaw and Junior Christian Green are the leaders in the receiving game with 14 catches for 249 yards and 1 TD by Shaw and 16 catches for 247 yards and 4 TD's by Green. TE Nick O'Leary is the leader in receptions with 19 but he only has 233 yards and 1 TD.

FSU spreads the ball around in the run game as well, with 3 different players over 320 yards and all within 30 yards of each other. Junior Devonta Freeman has rushed for 349 yards and 3 TD's, Winston follows him with 64 carries for 341 yards and 4 TD's. The hammer in the run game is James Wilder Jr. Wilder has carried 45 times for 322 yards, and has bulled his way for 7 TD's.

The Seminoles are very dangerous on offense. Winston is a dynamic young talent, and can win games with his arms or his legs. And he's got weapons all around him that make the Seminole offense even more dangerous. The most dangerous aspect of the Seminole offense is that the defense can't key on any one player. The Seminoles spread the ball around through the air and on the ground, and the talent on the field in Tallahassee means any player with the ball in his hands is capable of taking it the distance.

[​IMG]
    Clemson has installed an Air Raid attack that keeps the ball humming around the field, and Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins have benefitted the most from the style change. Boyd has turned into one of the most dangerous QB's in the country, and despite having had both bye weeks already this season he has thrown for 1835 yards 19 TD's and 5 interceptions. The tigers have thrown the ball more this season than in years past, but Boyd has attempted 70 fewer passes than Keith Wenning who leads the country in passing yardage, and has attempted fewer passes than Connor Halliday, number 2, has completed. The reason Boyd has done so well is due to his astonishing accuracy, 80.8% so far on the season, almost a full 3 points better than current record holder Colt McCoy, and 8 points over the #2 passer Clint Chelf. Watkins has toned down his running this season, playing more from the pocket, but he still has 3 TD's on the ground.

[​IMG]
    Sammy Watkins has been the best WR in the ACC this season, and that's not hyperbole. Watkins leads the Clemson WR with 37 catches for 641 yards and 6 TD's. That's good enough for the speedster to rank 3rd in the country in yards and tie for the lead in TD's. Fortunately for Clemson he's not the only dangerous receiver. Germone Hopper is second on the team with 29 catches for 368 yards and 3 TD's. Charone Peake has 18 catches for 313 yards. Adam Humphris and Martavis Bryant split the #4 WR role between them and Humphries has 19 catches for 269 yards and 2 TD's and Bryant 10 for 132 and 1 TD.

The Tiger's running game is pretty nonexistent, but Roderick McDowell does have 48 carries for 272 yards and 4 TD's. and sophomore DJ Howard has 12 carries for 68 yards.

It will be nice to see 2 excellent ACC teams face off. Usually the game of the week and marquee matchups go to one of the other conferences, but ESPN is rumored to make this a night game and let the Tigers and Noles face off under the lights. There's no doubt it will be an excellent game, and who knows, we might even get an excellent play like this.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

tahj boyd is balling out this season, curious to see how the fsu defense plays him

3. hornfaninbama

He's been solid so far, but I've racked up against CPU teams. I've only had 1 user game so far this season. And it was baron so I don't know if tht counts. I threw 5 picks against Wake Forest's robo D this week, but he hit 5 TDs too and 500 some yards.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Wish we could stream this game live. Should be a dandy!

5. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Ill be right near my computer when it is happening, so I will try to update as best as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hornfaninbama

When is this happening? I've got time tonight and hopefully tomorrow night as well.

7. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Depending on when we advance I could be open tonight. Otherwise tomorrow night works.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I can go whenever we advance, which is occurring right now.