10 years already

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by CaptMoe, Aug 23, 2012.

1. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Was surfing the net and decided to look up the history of Madden.
    1998 was the first year for Franchise Mode but, more importantly for us, 2003 was the first year for online play.
    I've been playing this game since at least 2000. That was the year I got my PS2 and it was only to play Madden...

2. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I've been playing Madden since Madden 93 on the SNES. I got Madden every year with the exception of 2000-2003 where I purchased a Sega Dreamcast and EA refused to make any games for it so I moved on to NFL 2K which some people will still argue to this day was a better game then Madden. I had a ton of fun with it but I ended up going back to Madden in 2004 after hitting the PC side of the game where I stayed until 2009 when EA decided to stop making the game for the PC which brought me here with you guys. I did play madden on Xbox/PS2 after 2005 but for the most part I was a PC guy. Hell I can even still remember having lots of fun with Tecmo Bowl lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I remember playing Madden so far back when they had the 3 passing windows to throw to.

Damn, was that like 1994?

4. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

5. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I absolutely LOVED Techmo Bowl. I was hoping they'd make an updated version but I guess EA got the monopoly...

6. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Um, I'm pretty sure Emmitt Smith, #22, wasn't white...lol
    I remember the flash picture of the fans going crazy after a big play...

7. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I think this was the game that I referred to. Since the NFLPA had an exclusive license with EA, they couldn't use the real teams, logos or players...

8. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

I've been playing all the old nes games on my nexus 7. The wii remote works with it and you can get any game you want

9. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Nice. I'm due for an upgrade and have been thinking about ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy S III and the Nexus 7 tablet.

Have you had any issues with the tablet?

10. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

This thread got me nostalgic for football video game history. (lots of good links here!)

As I recall my first football video game was Atari Football on the Atari 2600. Wow what a lame game now, but I loved it when I was like 6 or 7 years old. Funny thing is we always called it Ten Yard Fight, which apparently it was not, but I do feel as though I played that game too.

When I was about 12 or 13 we got NES Play Action Football for the original Nintendo, and that's when I first started getting hooked on Football Video Games. Around this same time, the convenience store at the corner of my street got a new arcade game in. This arcade game was essentially an NES unit with multiple games, you put in quarters for time on the system. This is where my friends and I first got to play Tecmo Bowl. Having played it, we had to have it and that became our football game of choice.

We played the heck out of Tecmo Bowl until I got a Super Nintendo for Christmas in '91. As I recall we tried the Tecmo Super Bowl release on the original NES, and it was good, but we were all about playing the new SNES. Later the next year I got Super Play Action Football, and boy was that game great. It had High School, College, and NFL levels. That was the first great franchise mode that I remember in a football game.

Finally in '93 we saw Tecmo Super Bowl for the SNES. This was the best game we had ever seen and it this was the game that really started the BIG franchises (sort of like we do here now) where we had kids from all over the neighborhood signed up and we would all get together and play our games. I recall many summer days where we would have a huge group of guys hanging out and we would be outside playing football or basketball while the guy(s) whose game was up would be in the house playing until he came out and said who was next up.

I remember there were a few guys who said that the Joe Montana Sports Talk Football series was better, but they were mostly shunned. ;)

The first I ever recall of hearing about Madden Football was during commercial for the 3DO system, where it came with the system (for like $700). I desperately wanted one of those systems, but that was never going to happen.

When I got the Playstation I remember the first football game I played was NFL Gameday, which blew my mind at the time!

Then once Madden 97 came out for the Playstation, I was hooked. From then on I would always try the other games (Gameday, Quarterback Club, NFL Fever, and of course NFL 2K), but I would always come back to Madden (of course EA gave us no choice after 2004, but that's another story).

Then of course with the advent of the online franchise on PS3, I found and globbed onto this collection of misfits we now call the 12th Man, and that changed football games for ever for me!

What a trip down memory lane! :D

• Like Like x 3
  11. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Remember the hand-held football game:

• Like Like x 2
  12. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

None. Love it