#13 asu @ #8 oregon

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, May 18, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    #13 asu @ #8 oregon

Following the win over USC, Oregon didn't move up an inch. "Sigh," said coach moreecemos..."this might be one of those years you just don't have the breaks go your way"...

The only thing Oregon has to do is control their destiny and win out. They can't worry about Oklahoma, Michigan, Purdue and teams ahead of them who might have better resumes. Oregon has to 1st worry about Arizona State, a team hungry for a win against the Coach moreecemos led Oregon Ducks. Coach Ramirez has yet notch a win over Oregon.

ASU came out guns a blazing with a 73 yard strike from Murray to Silva. The 1st big play of the game surprised Coach Moreecemos because he knows who that offense relies on and that's Martel Ham and Clint Rogers. Another thing that surprised coach was how ASU got some of their star players to don nicknames, like Martel Ham had "Greased Ham" on the back of their jersey. "Hey, anything to break the spell against us," coach thought.

Down 7-0, Oregon got to work and orchestrated a nice drive, with a ton of Cory Crowder out of the gun. Crowder has been a passing machine this year and he led the Ducks down the field ending on a Justin Harrell 0 yard run (1 yard...SMH EA). Oregon would later strike to take a 14-7 lead when Crowder ran in from 7 yards out and once again, that Oregon mystique was messing with ASU coach Ramirez's head.

ASU came into the 2nd quarter going with what works best and that's a steady dose of the "Greased Ham." Ham, who is a sophomore, only played a series in last year's game before getting hurt. This year, Ham made his impact known, scoring 2TD's in the 2nd quarter, one from 3 yards out and one from 60 yards out. Just like that ASU was riding high going into halftime. Their defense stopped the Oregon offense, holding them to 0 second quarter points, and their offense was clicking on all cylinders.

ASU would extend their lead to 24-14 on a FG with 4 minutes left in the 3rd and Oregon was now down 10. Oregon's offense was sputtering, their intermediate passing game was shutdown by a ferocious ASU pass rush and a defensive secondary that played tighter to their men. Oregon made an adjustment and fired up their screen game and within that quarter, Oregon scored 14 points, both via screens to RB Justin Harrell, one of the 26 yard variety and the other 55 yards. Up 28-24, the seesaw was teetered back to ASU.

Within 2 minutes of the 4th quarter starting, ASU took the lead on a Murray option run to go up 31-28. Oregon would respond with a 29 yard FG to tie the game up. ASU went to Rogers, who had a very nice day as he responded with a long run for about 47 yards. He would set up his own TD, running in from 2 yards out up the gut to take the 38-31 lead.

Was the pressure on Oregon? or on ASU who needed the win to ease the mind? Oregon had no pressure as coach Moreecemos was cool, calm and collected. He put the game in the hands of his senior QB Cory Crowder and he delivered, nailing Ken Burton on a 38 yard pass for the tie.

Indeed the pressure was on ASU. ASU needed another score to win and they had the weapons and by all means their offense was solid all game. Tie game, ASU couldn't score and was forced to punt. With around 2 minutes to go in the game, their defense had to step up. Oregon drove a bit down field to ASU's 31 yard line. Oregon came out in a 3 wide set, looking to get closer for a better FG. Crowder snapped the ball from the shotgun, dropped back looked to his slot WR Chuck Carter (who has BTW become Oregon's most reliable WR) but he was blanketed. He glanced to the right and saw Burton WIDE OPEN as ASU's CB stayed in his cover 2. Crowder fired a strike to Burton who turned around to receive the ball and gave the Oregon crowd reason to rumble Autzen Stadium.

Down by 7 with 1:23 to go, ASU just needed to score. ASU would drive a bit down field, using Rogers on runs up the middle and a nice pass from Murray to Ham. Yet the game saving play for Oregon was when Murray dropped back and tried to hit his man on a quick go route, but MLB James Moore picked it off to save the game and to keep Oregon's slim title hopes alive.

OREGON- 45, ASU- 38

P.O.G.- QB Cory Crowder- 29/39, 475yds, 4TD's, 3INT's

OREGON STATS

RB Justin Harrell- 13car, 35yds, TD, 8rec, 108yds, 2TD's
    FB/TE Justin Miller- 4car, 31yds
    WR Chuck Carter- 7rec, 101yds
    WR Kris Moss- 5rec, 114yds
    WR Ken Burton- 5rec, 112yds, 2TD's
    FS Robert Cunningham- 10tackles, FL, INT
    CB James Heard- 8 tackles, 2INT's
    SS Kevin Bowling- 7 tackles, 2INT's
    MLB James Moore- 3 tackles, FL, INT

ASU STATS
    QB D.Murray- 14/23, 276yds, 3TD's, 6INT's, 5car, 2yds, TD
    RB Clint Rogers- 20car, 168yds, TD
    WR Martel Ham- 7rec, 133yds, 2TD's
    WR T.Silva- 3rec, 109yds, TD
    RE Lance Wright- 3 tackles, 2FL, 2 sacks

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Fosh and I were watching that game with keen interest. At some point both defenses just checked out and were nowhere to be found, but yours came back for a stop in time to help you win the game, nice win.

Yeah it is funny that ASU likes to dress their players up like clowns, have you seen Lance Wright? LMFAO....

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Typical PAC 10 play no defense game....lol

4. jfosh

jfosh Super

nice write up mo....six picks...wow...you get a nice little week off then you come to the Rose Bowl.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    that mf'er has a club on his arm lol...dirty bastid

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    there was some defense lmao...9 INT's...thing is pac-10 is all about the big play...we have a ton of them.

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

I always say DE Wright is a dirty player with that big ass cast...Like WWF(E)

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

If it was 10-7 I would have said the same thing.

9 ints tells me someone is throwing the ball to guys that are not open

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It's not just the cast. Although that is a nice touch. Everything is mismatched.... EVERYTHING. he's dressed up like a clown.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Lance Wright.......I still dont know how someone has like over 100 sacks in 4 years........HOW?????

Corey Johnson.....just as good might.......just might sniff 50 in 4 years....

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If I score under 10 points, I'll take the worst team in division 1 and play with them...hi Buffalo.

12. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Plain and simple I folded like a bitch......

I had him right where I wanted him and he changed the tempo of the game something you just cant do against MoGriff..... He played fast and I fell for it....

No defense are you crazy.... You should have seen the first 3 user picks this guy had unbelievable... guys open and he gets there it is uncanny...

As for his pass plays to Burton they were ugly deep passes...both were misplayed by me and it cost me... The one to Burton was just terrible I had two guys on him and he was able to win the jump ball after not playing it correctly....

I had the tempo I wanted and he upped it in the 4th quarter and I can't play like that against him because he burns me with the safety..

I will get him next year....

13. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Well get a WEBCAM so we can watch it!!!!!!!!!

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Should have stuck it out in the side league with Johnny "Mo Trainer" Dukes and the rest of us....

15. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Don't get me wrong here I know there a number of good players here but I think I'm as good as anybody..... His style is so different than the norm.... Maybe you're right about the "Mo" trainer....

I think he knows every time he plays me it is going to be a war going forward....

I look forward to next year when I can add Gordon Purcell A+ speed 4.16 forty... 6'5" to the mix along with Ham and another 5* recruit who is 6'5'' with A- spped and A acceleration to go with A elusiveness...

Next year my top 3 receivers will all be 6'5"..should be (99, 97/98, and 93speed)... My RB 6'4" 97/98 spped and a 6'5" TE with 93 speed.... It will be fun.....

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    LOL no lie, there was times where when u slow the tempo, i can't stand that...you ran the ball well too last night...QB play was pretty bad on both sides from us...

this was the closest this year because u had the lead on me in the 4th...I'm really not looking forward to those behemoths you are bringing in, while my secondary won't be able to keep up. Plus I'm losing my QB and likely RB to graduation...sigh :(

17. jfosh

jfosh Super

If Johnson had a club arm he would be able to get more sacks...give him the club!!!

18. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

There isnt a player in this league that goes into games with no chance of losing to another user.

Every game hinges on breaks. If you catch picks and the other guy drops em chances are you will win.

Part of what makes this league so much fun is the diversity of game styles.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah that's true...and the thing about it is...this is with the speed being the #1 dominant force in this game

I hope NCAA 10 diversifies the game...so that teams can build power football teams, speed is toned so it's not as effective....and guys can make better pursuit angles on the ball.