15 Ways To Make Dynasty Mode Fresh in NCAA Football 14

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by I Peench, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

All of the talk this cycle has been the "stale" nature of NCAA. The fallout has been somewhat mind-boggling. Although there are several presentation and gameplay oriented reasons the game is stale, here are my suggestions on how to make the game interesting through dynasty mode.

********Just to preface this, I'd like to keep any posts in this thread directly related to my suggestions. I don't want this to turn into a wish-list.********

First, here are some of the general fundamental problems plaguing the mode:

Choices: There aren’t enough difficult choices or trade-offs when it comes to building your program or picking recruits.

Predictability: Recruit 2 players same position same overall they will generally progress the same.

Arbitrary results: Why did La Tech just take down Georgia? How is it that Fresno State ran the table? Why is a stacked Florida State team under-performing? There is no answer, because there are no variables to account for these abnormalities.

Lack of perspective: Without a centralized hub and story-lines, it’s very difficult to keep track of what is going on throughout the college football world. Studio updates are a step in the right direction, but we need more.

No love for the underdog: Ezekial Ansah, Eric Fisher, Jonathan Cyprien: All projected 1st round picks who had little to no notoriety coming out of high school. What’s to account for this? Could they have been “gems” that went undetected by the big dogs? Perhaps, but why can’t a 68 overall recruit develop into a 99 overall first round pick?

So without further ado, here are my 15 suggestions as to how to alleviate some of these problems, and make dynasty mode fun again:

1. Storylines
    Much like in Madden, a central hub with generated stories would go a long way in generating interest in a dynasty. Bama just signed that #1 overall player? I shouldn’t have to dig for that, I want those important articles of information to come to me.

2. Schemes
    Schemes are something I’ve been looking to see implemented for years. I was glad that the EA team’s implementation of schemes in Madden 13, but felt it was a bit two-dimensional. Schemes yielded no tangible impact on the field, merely a cosmetic drop/increase in overall (and just overall). In NCAA 14, schemes should effect both individual ratings AND progression. If you find a player that fits your scheme, he should progress better than a player who does not. I also think there should be players that fit multiple schemes, and that the computer specifically target scheme fits.

3. Player/Coach traits and personalities
    As it stands now, there aren’t enough variables that go into whether or not a particular recruit flourishes or under-performs in your system. Stealing a page out of OOTP baseball, players/recruits should have ratings on the following: Leadership, Loyalty, Intelligence, Work Ethic, Potential, Character and Focus. The effects of which could yield very dynamic results and storylines:

-A player with poor focus and work ethic might struggle to maintain academic eligibility.
    -A player with a high leadership rating who is a projected first round pick might opt to return for his fourth -year to lead his team to a championship (ie Matt Barkley and Manti Te’o)/
    -A player with high intelligence and work ethic might develop awareness and play recognition faster.
    -A player with high work ethic and low intelligence might develop strength faster (gym rat).
    -Low/high character affects team morale and can result in suspensions.

On the flip side, coaches need dynamic personalities that influence who develops and who does not. Much like Madden, the choices could be something along the lines of Motivator, Strategist, Team Builder.

-A motivator is an expert at developing a player’s physical tools, and can recruit his ass off. Recruits are excited about the opportunity to play for him.
    -A strategist is an expert at increasing all of his player’s attributes.
    -A team builder is a shrewd talent evaluator, and is notorious for digging up diamonds in the rough.

To take it a step further, coaches (heads and assistants) need individual ratings for the following: Development, Prestige, Leadership, Ambition, and Recruiting Ability.

-Recruiting ability: Boosts one’s ability to both recruit high school prospects.
    -Leadership: Affects both team morale and one’s ability to convince a draft-eligible player to stay.
    -Prestige: Affects the coaching offers a coach receives, and the recruiting pitch.
    -Ambition: More likely to accept a more prestigious offer

4. Team chemistry
    As of right now, there is no variable to account for why certain teams with less talent are more successful than those with more talent. A combination of a coach's leadership ability, the character of the players on the roster, the leadership ratings of players, and the success of the program should directly affect team chemistry. Chemistry should result in temporary but tangible increases/decreases in ratings.

5. Spring ball
    Spring practices and a spring game should be used as yet another tool to differentiate one player’s ratings from another. As of now, there isn't enough factors in determining why some players win particular position battles.

6. Assistant coaches
    These coaches should have ratings as well-ratings that affect development, recruiting ability, team chemistry, and how likely they are to bolt for a more prestigious offer. They should be given a certain amount of time to recruit, as in real life assistant coaches play a pivitol role in this department. You should be actively fighting to retain your top assistants, while trying to lure in others.

7. Regional recruiting
    Assistant coaches should be assigned regions to recruit, and very few schools should be able to recruit on a national scale. Some players should be very difficult to drag out of particular regions.

8. Recruits having stronger sets of interests
    Recruits who care about particular pitches (prox, academics, prestige) should care MORE about them than as it stands now. They also should have more logical lists of initial schools of interest. I've long said that pitch preferences aren't strong enough. If you have a 4* player who cares most about academic prestige? Stanford, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt should immediately be on their initial lists. If a player from NC has a very high interest in proximity to home? North Carolina and NC State should be on their initial lists.

9. Less precise scouting/dynamic rankings
    Scouting success and accuracy should be tied directly to the recruiting. If you’re a mediocre talent evaluator, you should have trouble unlocking accurate ratings. Additionally, players should shift up and down the rankings index throughout the season.

10. More dynamic recruiting pool
    How many of us have seen that 5’8 171 pound HB with A speed A acceleration and D carry? NCAA 14 needs a more diverse set of recruit skillsets. Why can’t there be a 97 speed back with 80 carry that’s 6’0 210 pounds? Why must every tall/fast WR have terrible hands?

11. Positional depth in the recruiting pool
    How many years in a row has there been a defensive end rated #1 in real life? Yet in NCAA 13, we still see far too many WRs and ATHs labeled as 5 star talents, and far too few elite DL. My suggestions?
    -More quality depth at HB, LB, C.
    -More quality pocket passers and less scrambling quarterbacks (can find the latter as athletes)
    -Less athletes in general (there are far too many when compared to real life)
    -Less depth at WR
    -Gems/busts all too bountiful at OL and DL. Scarce elsewhere.
    -Less five star players in general

12. Junior class recruiting
    College Hoops 2K8 implemented this system, and it was one that made me more emotionally invested in the players I was recruiting-a key in maintaining interest in a particular dynasty. Not only should one be able to scout a select number of juniors (say have 10 on your board), but there should also be a junior day in which you can invited up to 5 players to attend, resulting in an interest boost. Here’s the catch: A player can decline an invitation and can only attend 3-5 junior day events.

13. Recruits recruiting
    As a Notre Dame fan, I attribute much of our latest class’ success with the recruitment of players by current commits. A high profile player with high leadership and character should influence other recruits, as should team chemistry.

14. Playable All-American game
    Again, getting emotionally invested in these recruits only furthers the overall dynasty experience. Playing with these players in an All American game and getting an actual feel for how their skills translate would be a very cool experience.

15. Declaration/transfer logic
    As it stands now, there is very little rhyme or reason as to why players might leave or join your program. Player personalities should have an awful lot to do with this, as should the depth of the current draft pool (like this season irl, there is a very deep offensive tackle class. This should make fringe 1st round OTs want to come back). Also, running backs should almost always bolt when given the opportunity to be drafted in the top two rounds. In general, not nearly enough players end up leaving. Though they often can be persuaded by getting their degree, not every player should value a degree as much as the other. This is where player personality should be paramount.

For transfers, next to none should leave after being red-shirted their freshman year. It’s completely illogical, as they have to sit out yet another year. Again, player personalities and how they correlate with a coach’s personality should be immensely important, as should depth at their position. In NCAA 13, there is ZERO logic in regards to depth chart. I had a sophomore TE leave for playing time as he was about to assume the starting position (first and second string players were seniors, he was third string).

So what do you guys think? Instead of turning this into a wishlist thead, I'd just like feedback on these 15 things.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Tangible schemes that you can really change (even in the basic form it is in in Madden) would be great for the recruiting trail.

#12 is awesome.

Everything in here is very very good I Peench . Player personalities would be huge.

3. I Peench

Thanks man. There is so much potential in this mode, it pains me to see it so far from fully-realized.

4. TryHardNation

TryHardNation Texas Gang or Die

One little thing about the number of athletes. You said "-Less athletes in general (there are far too many when compared to real life)". While this may seem true when looking at recruiting databases such as 24/7 composite (my preferred), you have to realize that there are lots of guys who play multiple positions in high school but project to a specific one at the next level or are told by coaches that they will play that position. They are usually put in databases as that position. For example, Texas has a commit name Lorenzo Joe out of Abilene Cooper, he plays quarterback for Cooper yet in a databases he is considered a WR because that is the position the Texas coaches have told him he will play WR and that is where he worked at most summer camps. IMO in NCAA he should be considered an ATH because he could play multiple positions. My scouting ability should be able to tell me he is a WR at next level.
    Great post though, appreciate it.

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Along the lines of personality and recruiting, some athletes want to play a specific position and will only consider a school that commits to letting him play there. (Ie Denard Robinson could play QB at Michigan but not Florida) Adding that to the promises section of recruiting would add depth as well. Nice job I Peench

6. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

To go with this. What about a way that you recruit an Athlete to play a certain position? If a high school kid wants to play QB, but everyone offers him at WR, a lower school could offer him to play QB and see if he comes. So don't reduce the athletes but be forced to offer an athlete at the position you will have them play.

With number 7, FIFA has a way that you hire a scout for a region and he lets you know who is out there. Perhaps that could build on number 7.

Great list I Peench

• Like Like x 3
  7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Changed the thread title. ;)

8. I Peench

Haha thank you, that was bothering me

9. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Awesome ideas Steve! I completely agree with everything you said here.

I would just like to add to the spring games idea maybe throwing in early enrollees. I know Georgia had like 17 early enrollees from this year's recruiting class. This way they could play in the spring game and you could also see how they progressed through spring training. If they don't progress like you had expected redshirt them if they do progress they get playing time or hell even get the starting job.

Also all of the content all of your ideas could bring to leagues would be huge.

10. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

Of everything on here, #13 is the one I could do with out, would like to have, but wouldn't want it in the first round of additions. I think that would create so many bugs or just be so random that we wouldn't really enjoy it. Because the other 14 are a lot to add in and of themselves.

I love the list. And I would buy the game if they did this. right now I am probably just going to miss a year, and wait till the new consoles get the game. As I am planning on getting Microsoft's new console when they finally start selling them. To be honest (and I don't want to turn this into some OS rant, cause I hate those) updating dynasty mode like this is really the only way I will buy it new. Of course I have high hopes for the infinity engine and dynasty mode for the 4th gen consoles, but i also look forward to the increased social aspect where I can access minute details away from the console too.

11. Rev Bolyard

Rev Bolyard Walk On

My thoughts will be in green :)

12. I Peench

Rev Bolyard great feedback!

As for storylines, the possibilities are endless. Heisman race updates, upcoming vists, recent commitments, etc.

With Assistant coaches, I'd ideally love to see position coaches; I just don't see it as realistic right now. I'd settle for coordinators.

With the redshirting, I agree that players who care greatly about early playing time be at risk for transferring.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We need to start having these discussions about 4-5 months earlier. ;)

14. I Peench

Meaning it's too late to make any of this possible

:(

15. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

There's always NCAA 15 lmao

• Like Like x 1
  16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Not necessarily. Just making a comment that it adds MORE value the earlier we can produce these types of community discussions.

Also important to note the difference between threads such as this and the knee-jerk reaction/bitching that can occur in other communities. This is the stuff the devs want to read.

• Like Like x 2
  17. chance17

chance17 Walk On

I believe you and I are in much the same boat, Peench. We played College Hoops 2k8 and thought, "Wow, they've really taken this dynasty and recruiting up a notch. I can't wait to see where developers go in the next couple of years on these sports titles, especially when this kind depth makes it into the NCAA franchise." Maybe with the first or second title for the next consoles we could get some of these finally in a football game.

3.Player/Coach traits and personalities
    I would love to have to decide between a 71 OVR vs a 75 OVR because of intangibles and the players they will eventually become. This would mean that the progression would have to be affected somehow (potential rating/coach's development rating) and that would help take the predictability out of recruiting.

4. Team Chemistry
    This sounds like something that maybe could have an effect on the execution of plays. For example, false starts, effectiveness of the play pass, high/low snaps, jumped or missed routes would be things that come to mind. I personally always liked the composure rating they had, but anything to make it where just starting whoever has the highest overall isn't necessarily the best way to field a team.

9. Dynamic Ratings
    Perhaps a simple solution to this would be when scouting the assistant coach or recruiter could not get number ratings, but letter grades or rough ranges if they didn't scout extensively enough. I'd kill to be able to scout specific ratings or tiers of ratings, btw. :)

7 & 11. Regional recruiting and the recruiting pool
    I agree that the recruiting pool seems a bit top heavy, but is also light at the 2 star rating. Comparing the numbers from dynasty wire to rivals and scout, there is an obvious discrepancy.

To help out with depth, I'd like it if when you were scouting regions you could see more players than were initially on the ESPN list or SPARQ or whatever "recruiting service" we use as coaches in this game. Obviously these wouldn't be 4 star prospects, but maybe you see plenty of 2 star guys going unnoticed and maybe a 3 star once in a while (scouting a region for a position in FIFA anyone?).

15. Declaration/Transfer Logic
    I'm going to have to steal from CH2k8 and say bring in a player happiness rating. I know no of these are simple to implement, but this is a very simple way to show the user who they have to worry about in the offseason as it stands. Throw in the option for meetings with players that may sway them and make it update each week depending on playing time/stats/depth chart position.

I like the recruiting in this game and each release we get marginally closer to what I'd really like to play, but every time I break out the college hoops I see the missed opportunities. Great list and maybe we will see some of these make their way in and improve the dynasty experience.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  18. I Peench

Great feedback, Chance. Thanks for the input.

19. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Just to reiterate that the guys at EA SPORT do read these things:

favorited.PNG

• Like Like x 6
  20. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

Guess I'll include

1.Storylines
    I would love this if we could have the computer create stories about the players/recruits. Such as interviews done with the press/recruiting services/school. For Games - perhaps a weekly story that broke down the top 25 action and all upsets (games where Herbie picked wrong). Also A weekly recruiting recap would be nice detailing who committed where, maybe a why/"twitter"announcement from the players.

2.Schemes

Would love this to be a bonus and also play in to clock management, where pro style teams with a conservative approach would sit on the clock when up late.

3.Player/Coach traits and personalities
    Loved what you had. This is a must. I want players to be dynamic and incentive to play underclassmen over upperclassmen, right now there is no benefit if the upperclassmen is better by a few slots. Seeing a promising freshmen or sophomore get minutes over an underwhelming junior or senior would increase the amount of game planning and effort I have to put in, which I would love.

4. Team Chemistry
    Composure was a thing a beauty, CH2k8 had player moods where if one guy was in a bad mood he didn't play well and wanted leave eventually, I can't remember the exact game, but it was MLB game and it too had player personalities where you had to soothe egos and mesh people who worked well together, not just insert high rated player. I too would like to see this affect gameplay and development, as teams can hinder themselves from developing.

6. Assistant Coaches
    I believe the NCAA standard is a coaching staff may not exceed more than 9. How about the same, and the HC assigns titles and assignments. I think until a point or monetary system to reflect a salary, positions like assistant HC and HC in waiting would have to wait. But add in Special Teams coordinator and since most coordinators are also position coaches all 3 coordinators would also coach a position group.

7, 11, & 12. Regional recruiting and the recruiting pool
    Region recruiting is a must, increasing the recruiting pool and including juniors also a must. I would like to add one more thing, for coordinators/ position coaches, they should only recruit their assigned area and players under the scope of responsibility. As an offensive or defensive coordinator I shouldn't be in complete control over the recruiting as I was in the NCAA 12 and NCAA 13, the HC is the only one who should have that power. Also would like the option to trade in call time for scout time, which would be invaluable later in the recruiting when I have met most of my needs and just want to find a gem to top it off.

8 & 10. Recruits Stronger Interest & Positional Depth
    I believe the positional depth issues goes back to the state by state recruiting database. I feel it needs to be increased. Either more 3 and lower stars or more in general. There have been times when Oregon only has 20 total recruits in the state ... far too few. Also I too feel that the Proximity to Home Pitch needs to be reworked. I think the idea of being from the same city (being the only possible A+) was too limited. With regional settings this would allow for the proximity to switch to that. A+ to same region, A for adjacent region, No lower than an A- for same state. I think once you hit the second level, there should be significant drop off.

14. ALL-American games
    I see this as a way for EA to make ad dollars as I am sure Army, Marines (Siemper Fidelis), and Under Armour would love to capitalize on marketing these events. And I would love to have it, the more the better.

15. Declaration/Transfer Logic
    CH2k8 player happiness rating.

21. TryHardNation

My thoughts

1: Storylines. I tried so hard to pay attention to the other teams in my dynasty but sometimes I just wanted to play and advance. It was too time consuming to go look for things and a hub would connect the world and immerse you into the world of college football.
    Another way to possibly go about this is have a weekly show in which not only games (previews, reviews) are talked about, but also things going on in the world like coaching and recruiting rumors, commitments, and de commitments. Also players could be unhappy and have reports about possible transfers.

2:Schemes. I agree with what you said but another potential dimension is the recruits being affected by the schemes. A WR wants the ball a lot, send him to an Air Raid team. Got a guy who loves defending the pass, send him to the big 12. This could affect interest and more importantly add a layer to the play style pitch introduced this year.

3: Player/Coach Traits and personality: as long as it gives us a different progression system than the current, I'm happy

4: Team Chemistry. Ultimate team was the first thing to pop into my head. Players play better if they have better chemistry. If I recruit a team full of self entitled rebels then there should be less chemistry especially between players and coach. This one ties in perfectly with personalities.

5:SPRING BALL. Those 22 practices you get during the spring semester are SO IMPORTANT. Especially if you are changing schemes or to a new play book. Coupled with this should be early enrollies. We should be able to play spring game but that should not determine progression. Reps given to a player should. See my post on the bottom of the 4th page of the wish list thread. "The spring game DOES NOT determine off-season training. Practice does. And practice is simulated by setting the rep percentage of your players in spring depth chart.
    So, spring depth chart is essentially spring practice. Each specific position group in your offense/defense scheme (based on playbooks) has a cumulative total of 100% reps. Example of a pro-form offense's position groups: QB, RB, FB, TE, SE, FL, LT, LG, C, RG, RT. Each one of those groups totals to 100% reps.
    Then, you divvy up that 100% within each position group. Say you have 3 QBs. You give your starter 50% reps, back-up 30%, and 3rd string 20%.
    1 - QB = 50%
    2 - QB = 30%
    3 - QB = 20%
    And you do this for each position...
    1 - RB = 40%
    2 - RB = 30%
    3 - RB = 20%
    4 - RB = 10%
    The amount of reps, coupled with a player's potential (which is hidden), will determine the offseason training results. It's also a risk/reward scenario. You could give one player all 100% of the reps at his position, leaving the others with 0%, where your reward is maximum progression for that player depending on his potential rating, however you risk injury. Conversely, if a player gets a small percentage of reps, you risk that player transferring or minimal to no training results. Even further, if you give the player 0% reps, some of his ratings will actually regress, so it's important that even if you have a 90 OVR Senior starter, and think you don't have to give him any reps, think again. This would also play a huge role for CPU A.I. when they oversign too many players at one position, like having 5 QBs on a roster. The 4th and/or 5th string QBs would be getting screwed in the rep department and may transfer.
    The game should have a default percentage already set up, then you could manipulate it from there.
    This would give you some control over the development of your players. But just as coaching in real life, there are risk/rewards to these decisions. Hidden potential ratings, though, are the key in keeping offseason progression from being cheesed"

6: Assistant Coaches. Great job there.

7: Regional Recruiting. In addition to this, scouting should not only be based off specific players but also watching game. I should be able to set one of my scouts to scout East Texas and They will go to top games every week and bring back a little information on a few players. Once I identify my targets, I should have the option for my guy to watch film and/or look at a specific player and get more ratings on one player

8: Interests, only thing I could add is maybe the scheme interest.

9: less precise Scouting. Agree on all especially shifting rankings. Also, injuries could happen and players ratings could go down similar to Madden and those people may fall down in rankings.

10: More Dynamic recruiting Pool. Beautiful.

11:positional depth in recruiting pool. Already pointed out one little thing I disagree with but other than that you're right. Why not go look at some previous data and find out the numbers. USE 247 COMPOSITE

12: Junior Class recruiting. Completely agree. Bama just offered an 8th grader a scholarship and I still can't offer one to a junior. Where are junior days? Recruits should be able to attend junior days and spring games and summer camps.

13: Recuits Recruiting. Not as high on my priority list. Good idea though

14: Playable Special Bowls: A must for me. Everyone always say senior bowl but I'd prefer ones with recruits.

15: very good.

I don't want to derail but I think that recruiting needs to happen during the offseason. It's eight months for a reason. All the stuff happens in the offseason.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Please reformat, hahaha.

23. TryHardNation

Haha don't know how to hit those spoilers. Didn't wanna look like a noob with something like
    at the begin inning and

EDIT: Well I still look like a noob lolol

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

This will be excerpted and on the front page sometime tomorrow, I didn't get back in until 2 am CT to put anything together.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I would really like to see signature skills implemented, as seen in NBA 2k13. It really impacts gameplay in a positive way and goes a long way in play-style variation