#18 ASU 23 v #3 UCLA 56

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jfosh, May 20, 2009.

1. jfosh

jfosh Super

#18 ASU 23 v #3 UCLA 56

There was alot of tension between these two teams before the game started. With coach jfosh predicting a loss for the Devils in Pasadena. With an impending NCAA investigation looming over the Sundevils heads their sports information department released some outlandish allegations involving the UCLA head coach. Asked before the game about them coach said "This is crazy were not even going to acknowledge this type of stuff.We'll answer between the white lines."

The Devils won the coin toss and elected to get the ball. They drove the length of the field on the back of Clint "Jolly" Rodgers and a focused game plan. The Bruins failed to answer on thier first drive throwing a pick on 3rd and 13. The Devils drove again behind a solid game plan and extended its lead to 14-0. Fans were stunned but the Bruins have never folded when behind. UCLA was able to put a drive together midway through the second quarter. HB Emmanuel Nicholas broke a sweep on the left side for 24 yards taking it to the ASU 1. UCLA punched it in to pull within 7.

ASU was back in business plodding down the field trying to push its lead to back to 14 with some nice passes to Martel "Greased" Ham. On second and 13 from the UCLA 30 with 2:00 minutes to go in the 1st half the Devils do it all QB Darren Murry dropped back but somebody missed their assignment and All-American DT Tyler Britt came crashing through driving Murry to the turf. Murry fumbled and LB Ryan Jones picked it up and rumbled down field for 30 yards. The booth reviewed the fumble and ruled Murry was down. But the damage was done Murry was out for the game and RS Frosh T.J. Thomas would trot out to take over the Sundevils O.

Thomas carrer Stats 5-8 0 tds 1int 72yds longest pass 36 yards.

Thomas the best choice from a bench where the most experienced QB after him P.J. Russell had logged only 1 attempt in his career.

Thomas was in enemy territory and had trouble finding his helment before heading on to the field. Coach Ramirez tried to get his feet wet and called a sure completion on a screen pass. The pass left them 9 yards short of the 1st and they booted a field goal to go up 17-7.

UCLA took over after the kickoff with 1:35 left in the quarter from there own 35. If Mark Jackson was calling this game he would have said "Mama there goes that man again." it was Nicholas of the right edge spinning and flying by ASU defenders for a 65 yard score pulling the Bruins to within 3.

ASU always trying to push their lead let Thomas open up his options on what looked to be the last possession of the half. Thomas completed a couple underneath routes then tried to hit Ham on a mid range post route but his inexperience showed missing high and behind the intended target. (Think Rich Ankiel) SS Jordan Downs picked up his 9th int of the year on the play. The Bruins had the ball and wanted to put themselves ahead before the half. They took advantage of the soft coverage on back to back plays before hitting WR Chad Grevis on the left side for a 30 yard strike. Bruins now lead 21-17. Thomas left a throw short that Downs picked off on following play. This QB was rattled and Bruins had all the "MO" and the ball heading into the second half.

The second half just got ugly the Bruins scored everytime they touched ball. They had rattled off 28 in a row before the Devils posted a field goal. The Devils were only able to muster a 2nd field goal for their total output in the second half. They had a couple of drives that looked like they would end in TD's but were called back on holding calls. UCLA confused the freshman QB in the second half with stunts and blitzes. On offense they could do no wrong finding all the holes in the zone and on the ground. Final score 56-23.

Thomas ended the game still searching for his first TD.
    Gore was 12-15 with 5td's 1 int and 305yds. Nicholas 22 carries for 188yds and 2 td's. Chad Grevious had 5 catches for 153 yds and 2 scores.The Bruin defense combined for 7 sacks and SS Jordan Downs (Thorpe finalist) had 9 tackles to go with his 2 INT's.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That was a clinic from the third possession of the game and on. It just seemed as though ASU was lost, and of course losing your QB will do that to you sometimes. You keeping it to 15 throws on the day ended up being perfect since half of them were huge plays. Great performance by the Bruins, who appear primed heading into an important showdown with the Quacks.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    you can't throw on the Bruins lol...it's really a chore.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL Mo. Yeah, having a strong safety with 99 speed, 99 acceleration, and 99 man coverage ability - and a fast strong safety over the top! - tends to give a team quite a bit of flexibility. The corners aren't exactly chopped liver either. I'm glad taht Fosh didn't choose me now (there were about five guys that all thought Fosh was gonna play us, and I just let him choose).

5. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

So much speed everywhere he finally put it all together and blew me the fuck out........

Look at his speed at LB as well it is sick!

Nicholas came into his own last night.

Overall through 2009 I may have had an 80% winning percentage against Foshie but it has definitely been tough since we came into this season... His team is lights out good and my young student has finally grown into the player I knew he was capable of being...........

I definitely feel like the pebble was plucked from my hand last night and in the second half it was shoved up my ass!

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

you and the sheep...

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah he is just dominant as a recruiter, it's very hard to go against that. You should have seen everybody watching the game saying "hey why did he throw another TD pass!? Hey, why did he run off tackle for the first down on 4th and 7!?

Everybody was up in arms, I had to explain the situation to them lol.