1st and 10 (6.2)

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by Oshiomogho, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]
    for season 6 1n10 I would like to go over 4 downs per week focusing on 4 topics indepthly every advance instead of 10 topics since usually 4 topics or so were already the same general topic

1st Down
    Who is the Favorite to win the MWC?
    Last season was the craziest race to the conference title possibly in the history of the conference, certainly in recent memory. And when all was said and done, a familiar face walked away victorious; Air Force. So entering the new year, it's only natural that Air Force is the early frontrunner to repeat again. A tough schedule that includes preseason top 10 teams LSU and Notre Dame as well as #13 Oregon is going to be very favorable for the polls. Assuming he takes care of the computer teams i feel even losing a conference matchup or two will result in another BCS bowl game. After winning the season opener over Oregon, week two will be the Falcon's first tough challenge as they head to San Diego in a big conference matchup.​
    Colorado State was the runner up last year somehow but enter this year losing some key components of that team. Coach Elk knows how to get the best of his players through scheme defensively but offensively it is going to be an interesting season for the Rams Week 1 looked good but I feel the next 5 weeks will get progressively more challenging capped off with games at Air Force and against BUY. I can see this squad winning anywhere from 5 games to 10 but I still find them a longshot for the conference title at this point until we see more film on the offense.​
    The rest of the conference can be considered a toss up at this point as well. BYU went from potentially locking up the conference to a total collapse to end the year. Utah has steadily gotten better each year it seems and may be a strong competitor against any team in the nation but hasnt proved it can consistently win all the games in needs to. UNLV looked like it was about to shock the conference last year but still has monkeys to get off their backs as they too cant win all the games they are supposed to. Wyoming and San Diego State are dark horses but the lack of talent across the board allows no room for error. if they play a perfect game, they can beat anyone, but as soon as they start turning the ball over, they dont have the talent to make up for it. New Mexico is getting better nothing has come easy. Their schedule gives great hope of reaching a bowl game but competing for conference may prove difficult.​
    Front runner is clearly Air Force although the gap to the field has been greatly reduced in the past few years.

2nd Down
    Air Force @ SDSU
    The conference season is officially underway this week with the powerhouse that is the Air Force Falcons visiting the San Diego State Aztecs. SDSU has not beat coach Noff and his Falcons but has gotten closer each year it seems including a last second field goal loss. Both teams easily handled their week one matchups while AF was a lot tougher competitor in Oregon. but both offense and defense on both teams looked in midseason form already. Air Force will have a lot tougher matchup with the option this week then Oregon which could force them to work the passing game more and if they can exicute that, this game should come easy but if the Aztecs can rattle Smith, i do believe they can force turnovers. There is no chance he completes 90% of his passes this week. In fact, the game could come down to which QB can be more efficient. Andrews has looked good in tough ga​

mes but really has moments where he misses big opportunities.​
    I predict Air Force to edge out another victory but i would not be surprised to see 2 or even 3 OT periods to do it.

3rd Down
    Anthony Butler; Fluke or For Real?
    In the season opener for Wyoming, QB Antony Butler went off for 537 yards on 27/45 and 6 TDs. Butler is a senior this year but this was the first time he had ever touched the playing field for the Cowboys. Clearly be and Calvin Cameron hit on something as the junior receiver caught 11 balls for an impressive 269 yards and 3 scores. It was only the first week but can we already start a heisman campaign for this kid? Clearly the answer is no at this point. Yes, the performance was impressive but the 60% completion rate and 41% of his completions to Cameron are both red flags in my book. If he cant complete more then 60% of his passes against Southern Miss, what makes me believe he wont force turnovers against teams like Colorado State or Air Force? And teams know how to key on an obvious #1 receiver and that could increase the turnover rate even more if Butler still tries to make that pass.
    It is early in the year and Butler may put together a great year but I find it hard to believe he can truely compete for awards with the schedule of tough matcuhps with good defenses.

4th Down
    Can anyone out recruit USC and Oklahoma?
    24 of the Nations 35 five star recruits have OU and/or USC in their top 3 schools this early point into the recruiting year and OU even has two commits. The Mountain West is not traditionally known for hauling in 5 star talent but has been working towards it and this may be the best recruiting year in conference history. Air Force is the lead school to land many of these top teir talents with already being on 29 of the 35 players top 10 lists. It is an impressive note to be on the watchlists but pulling in the talent is a tougher challenge. San Diego State has managed to slip onto two of the top 35 while Colorado State is fighting hard for #4 overall recruit HB Orlando Lawrence. Air Force is beating CSU for Lawrence early but the lack of gauranteed playing time could definitely hurt the Falcons in pulling all the top talent HBs this year after managing to pull it off last year. In order for SDSU to pull either of their 5 stars, they have to get by instate powerhouse USC.
    Scholarship limitations always hurts the conference in recruiting top rated classes but with many 4 stars interesting throughout the conference, a middle of the pack conference team can still recruit a solid class this year and continue to get better.

I felt this report is heavy on the Falcons but they are the top team in conference and its early so not too much to talk about. We'll get some good topics going each week.

2. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

"Somehow" =

Compliment :)

"knows how to get the best of his players through scheme defensively"

tis the tooth

"but offensively it is going to be an interesting season for the Rams"

when Pittman is healthy, I think the O is just as good (or better) than last season.

"I can see this squad winning anywhere from 5 games to 10 but I still find them a longshot for the conference title at this point"

Lol back to back years as second place and I'm a longshot. Oh well, we enjoy being underdogs and upsetting all yall.

Nice read!

3. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

I called AF @ SDSU game of the week and it delivered. I said it could go into OT and it probably could or should have very easily

also said for me to have a chance at conference i have to play mistake free ball. the interception should have done me in but other then that i was near perfect

4. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Nice to see you finally get the Air Force monkey off your back! You have played him so close every year that you were due to have win against the Falcons this season! Air Force will have to get ride back on the saddle as the upcoming weeks are no gimmes.