1st and 10 (6.4)

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by Oshiomogho, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]

1st Down
    Week 4
    Week four opened up some tough games and resulted in some interesting results. Conference play officially kicked off with three head to head matchups. In a surprise, UNLV came ready to play and pounded out a victory in San Diego. UNLV HB Brent Williams went off for 216 yards, including an 80 yarder on the first offensive play for the Rebels. Both passing offenses were very efficient but three turnovers was killer for the Aztecs and put them on the losing end. In another shocker, TCU upset the BYU Cougars on the road in overtime. Both teams played very comparable offensive and defensively except one very important category. BYU threw four interceptions and just couldnt come back. Now making a QB change at this point in the year, the season is just beginning but maybe already over for the Cougars. In not so much of a shocker, the Air Force Falcons rebounded from the conference opener loss to easily take down the Utes. Justin Barrett went 71 yards on the first play of the game and Air Force never looked back. Barrett is putting up the stats to enter the Heisman race soon and if he keeps playing like this, we could be seeing freshman history.

2nd Down
    Mountain West
    Still very early in the year, we already are seeing a great competition for the conference title forming. After Air Force lost in week 2, there was a chance they may find it difficult to get back on top, but after winning this week, and the Aztecs losing, both teams sit 1-1 in conference. TCU and UNLV both won conference openers to stand at the top at 1-0 while BYU and Utah both sit 0-1. Colorado State Wyoming and New Mexico all play conference openers in week 5. Since the Aztecs lost, Air Force should be considered the favorites again with all the talent on the offense but the team has been moving away from the option and if teams can lock down the ground game, they are beatable. It's too early to declare any winner yet but I feel the overall talent in the conference has taken a step back from last year.

3rd Down
    Wyoming at UNLV
    Last year, Wyoming surprised a lot of coaches by putting together an impressive 7-6 season and placed 4th in the conference, this year the team still doesnt have much for elite talent but coach DD has done a good job getting the most out of his players and calling a good scheme to be successful. Unfortunately, as we enter week 5, the Cowboys are coming off back to back losses to Tennessee and USF in nonconference play and have seen the offense take steps back each week. USF held them down to just 3 points in week 4. UNLV is coming off a huge win over the rival Aztecs but still only find themselves at 2-2 with struggling losses to Nevada and Miami. It wasnt until week 4 that the team even had the identity of a run heavy offense. With their QB Robinson out and not coming back for a while still, the running game is the strength. I feel the Cowboys defense is going to struggle to keep them contained in this game and are going to have to force turnovers somewhere to get the Rebels behind and force them to throw the ball.

4th Down
    Year of the Freshman
    This season entered the first year that every player on every team is a recruit or transfer brought in by the coaches. There is nothing left of the old system. The lack of talent in the conference years ago resulted in some weak recruiting classes for the first few seasons and teams are suffering from it now. However, there are other teams that have built their programs up to respectable levels and have been able to pull in talented players recently who are making instant impacts. Justin Barrett has been torturing defenses all year and will probably see strong considerations for some nice hardware if he keeps it up. Colorado State QB Austin Pittman was handed over control of the Rams but it's far too early to call him a star but he has all the potential to be a great playmaker. Entering the week, SDSU WR Jon Lewis was 6th in the nation in receiving yards and already caught his 5th TD of the year against the Rebels. BYU MLB John Hansen entered the week tied for 3rd in the Nation in solo tackles with 15 while Air Force SS Brian Johnson sat tied for 6th with 13. UNLV true freshman DT Jim Bennett leads all freshman was 2.5 sacks while BYU DT Todd McDougal as 2. UNLV true freshman corner Jon Scott already has 2 interceptions in the early start to the year.
    All these players should develop into some great talent for each coach and next year may even bring in more great prospects

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Nothing about the RB who murdered you on the ground in his first start? That's cool i bet you still salty about it.

3. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

I felt that was enough​

4. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

#18 CSU: 13
    #5 Ohio State: 10

Looks like I didn't play before you wrote this. Pittman was picked on his first two drives and threw a 3rd pick in the second half after we were down in 3-10 at half. Ward entered the game and rallied the team to win.

I need to do a better job of preventing Pittman from making mistakes early and going cold. He was blue the entire game and his play reflected it!

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

My bad i over read that. I was just looking the Freshman of the Year thing.

6. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

yeah, I wrote this before your game as I knew it wasnt a conference match so I thought i could get around it before we advanced

as for brent williams, guess I didnt even know he was a freshman