1st Annual KnightNoles GM Award

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by ryalaman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The absolute worst of the worst. We have some horrible GMs in this league, and you people are the worst we have. If you're on this list, you should feel pretty horrible about yourself.​
    1. San Diego Padres NeuroticTruth
    [​IMG]
    San Diego has seen some tough times recently and are coming off 65-97 season in 2019. Thanks in part to the dimensions of Petco, the Padres pitching staff was a solid 5th in the National League but the offence was horrific ranking either dead last or next to last in almost all the offensive categories.​
    Why's the Padres belong on this list:​
    One person who could have helped was 1B Nick Ramirez who 58 homers in two years with the Padres but was dealt to Baltimore in a controversial trade. Out of the 5 players coming back in the deal only 1 still remains with the team - OF Guy Cedneo. Cedneo rebounded from horrific 2018 campaign with a 280/331/701 slash in 2019 but had a paltry .317 WOBA. His defensive value in LF was negated by his terrible play in CF and RF which turned him into a negative defender. Meanwhile Ramirez helped lead Baltimore to a World Series in 2019 forming a devastating 1-2 punch with Dave Moore.​
    One player who Padres fans were looking forward to solving their offensive woes was C Wayne Barnes who was expected to go in the top 3 but fell into the Padres laps at #6 overall. Barnes excelled in his first pro season having a OPS+ of 142 in A Ball. Inexplicably management decided to trade him to Baltimore for 30 year old SP Jake Odorizzi whose last truly good season came in 2015. What makes this trade worse for San Diego is that Baltimore admitted that they would have to sell low Odorizzi and according to sources 'tripped over themselves to agree to the deal.' This is the kind of deal that will haunt an organization for years and could possibly be one of the worst 3 trades ever completed in the Dugout.​
    - sonn
    2. Chicago White Sox soxandgators
    [​IMG]
    Damnit Josh. You promised me you were done trading. You said you looked at your farm and knew that if you just sat tight for a year, you’d be in great position. I told you I agreed because your org was stacked, and you were in a great position. What happened? You were so close.​
    I guess I’ll just restrict my scope to this year because it makes my job much easier. We’ll start with the SD deal where the White Sox bailed the Padres out of crippling debt. They got very little in return in exchange (except for a catcher who can’t play catcher!) for 40M. The market had already been set for these kinds of trades, and they all included nice prospect pieces. Why the White Sox made this deal instead of spending money on a better catcher or demanding prospects back, I’ll never know.​
    The 3 team deal, in addition to being crazy complex, was also a bad one for Chicago. They traded away a great 5* SS prospect, 2 very very good 1B prospects, and other pieces for… a 1B prospect worth about what theirs were and a 4th OF. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? If you wanted a 4th OF that bad, I had one for you cheaper than that. Bruce Larson could have returned you this package by himself if you wanted it.​
    Thought I forgot about the Augusto trade, did you? It was a special kind of bad trade, because the White Sox have to see the Twins 19 times a year and be reminded of their deal. Augusto for Lawson straight up would be a bad deal for Chicago by itself… Lawson can hit, but his defensive abilities have been compared to Adam Dunn. Counting on him to continue playing in the OF is a big reason that the Sox pitchers struggle so badly. But when you add in the fact that the White Sox also gave up Robinson Martinez and took back Corey Hart’s rotting corpse (and contract)? Uh, now we’re in discussion for all time worst deal. Especially after being warned by basically everyone that he was dealing Augusto at the absolute lowest point for his trade value.​
    -@ryalaman​
    3. Pittsburgh Pirates PAgamer07
    [​IMG]
    Any time you get trade raped by one of the consensus top 2, you’re gonna find your way onto this list. But let’s work our way up to that one. Let’s start with killing Alfredo Silva. I don’t care that this is supposed to be about offseason moves/trades. This is my feature, I make the damn rules. Jesse always says that you should never rush your pitching prospects. So what does he do? He rushes a top prospect and he pitches as bad as you’d think.​
    The Al Albuquerque signing also happened. And it also sucked. It’s an overpay for a closer who has proven to be decent, but certainly not worth 4/21 or 2/14. Luckily the mighty Pirates always make the playoffs and have a huge budget so they can swallow bad deals like this.​
    And finally, the Matt Bates trade. As the old saying goes, whenever you are presented the opportunity to trade away a top 10 3B prospect who has been productive (and who has 45+ HR potential with plus defense at the hot corner) for a 4th OF and a mediocre reliever prospect, you have to do it. Oh, what’s that? No one ever said that? Oh yeah, that makes more sense. Most people would see an offer like Adams and Janovich for Bates and laugh at the other person until they couldn’t breathe, but I guess our fearless leader must have just fallen in love with the reliever with a 6+ BB/9 in the minors last year. By any objective measure, this is an absolutely horrific trade that should get anyone on the list. But when you also lose it to another member of this list? Well, now we may have to think about renaming the award after you.​
    -@ryalaman​
    4. Detroit Tigers Fmode11
    [​IMG]
    How the mighty have fallen; once upon a time the Detroit was the top team in the Dugout in both talent and stupid names. Now under new management things have changed with the Tigers finishing last year with a mediocre 78-84 record, good for 3rd in the middling Central divison. The ace of the staff is Ryan 'Timber' Blackwood with his spectacular 13-6 record in the major leagues (we can ignore all his other stats, everyone knows wins are the only barometer of a pitcher skills).​
    Thanks to the previous regime the Tigers still have a solid core but there were some headscratching moves made in the past year. One was the terrible deal given to 2B Rob Ames who is admittingly great defensively but has Double A quality offense. The other was the handling of top prospect Pedro Serna. Serna was crushing the ball in the minors but struggled reaching the bigs with a 256/452/747 slash and a -10.1 ZR rating in LF and RF which was good for a -0.8 WAR but I guess those stats don't matter.​
    - sonn
    5. Boston Red Sox RynoAid
    [​IMG]
    RynoAid has missed his 10th export.​
    Honorable Mention:
    Minnesota Twins- Ken Welsch accidentally underbid by 10k for Evan Longoria. PAgamer07 is resimming now to fix this travesty. BigSmooth33 lost Jason Parrish to a career ending injury and ty5oke still beat the Twins for Longoria in the resim.​
    Los Angeles Dodgers- WTF was Jose Ramano doing up?​
    Washington Nationals- The Nats finished with another losing record. At least KnightNoles didn't force a rule change to prevent him from being booted from the league this year.​

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 19
  2. sonn

sonn Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

funny read!

4. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

This.Was.Awesome.

I'd explain my moves if I didn't want to ruin the hilarity of the thread. So Ill keep quiet.

5. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I thought for sure I would be on this list!! Somehow I am not!!! Yet...

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Good shit ryalaman

tweeted.

I figured I would get honorable mention for masterminding that three-team carpet bomb.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

sonn deserves some credit for being the sneaky asshole of the thread. Don't let him off the hook that easily! This was as awesome as I expected it to be. The only thing that could have made it better is a poll to see who is really the worst KnightNoles gm so far in Dugout history.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Excellent! Glad to see I'm not in the list somehow hahahaha.

9. sonn

sonn Walk On

Ryal getting all the credit...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brandon S.

Ryno took your spot by default ;)

11. Brandon S.

watching Supernatural on netflix right now, season 4 finale.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Keep chuckling, we'll see how this shakes out in the long run.:)

13. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Yeah, sonn should get a lot of credit for this too. I tried to tag the pieces that each of us did, but he also sucks so I'll take the credit for it if people want to give it to me.

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

Lol, sorry, didn't see you co-authored.

As compensation I'll give you credit for something great that you had no part in at a later date.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Sooooo, the Blue Jays winning a World Series?

16. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

You've been pretty bad with player development. But your first trade was very, very good for you IMO

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Awesome, awesome read.

18. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

I will accept my #2 ranking and raise you Lawson being traded in the next few days in a trade 2 weeks in the making. Will this put me to #1 ?

19. sonn

sonn Walk On

Yes...In next year's rankings.

20. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

You know we said 1st annual, right? We're always happy when people try to strengthen their cases.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Whoever you trade Lawson to may jump you since he is really just not as good as people think.

22. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

RynoAid is making a strong case for #1 with his 21 man minor league system, and all of the talent down there. He'd better hope Abbott, Kukuk, and Gausman can carry him to a couple of decent seasons in the toughest division in baseball or he'll be pulling his own version of the #TeepeeTankJob

23. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

:wacky: \\\\\\ but wait, we are dealing with ootp gods here. Dbag wins a WS and all is not worthy. Give me a break especially for those god for saken silly UM unis. Content chiefs cant get #1 records right, #2 names right, #3 stats right or even #4 trade deals evaluated correctly. Might as well turn on MSNBC ask about our economy

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  24. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

[​IMG]

25. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

[​IMG]