#2 Ohio State (11-1) vs. #1 Nebraska (13-0) Title Game Preview

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    TALE OF THE TAPE
    OHIO STATE VERSUS NEBRASKA
    A- OVERALL RATING A-
    A- OFFENSIVE RATING B+
    B+ DEFENSIVE RATING B+
    41.6 (#6) POINTS PER GAME 41.6 (#6)
    5173 YDS (#16) TOTAL OFFENSE 5316 YDS (#5)
    2027 YDS (#55) RUSH OFFENSE 1661 YDS (#91)
    3146 YDS (#15) PASS OFFENSE 3655 YDS (#6)
    3409 YDS (#3) TOTAL DEFENSE 4442 YDS (#50)
    1086 YDS (#4) RUSH DEFENSE 1486 YDS (#11)
    2323 YDS (#30) PASS DEFENSE 2956 YDS (#96)
    13 (#4) TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL 11 (#8)

OHIO STATE'S KEY PLAYERS
    RB Rod Smith (92), QB Braxton Miller (92), LOLB Curtis Grant (91), WR Ty Williams (85), DT Michael Bennett (85)

OSU comes in as one of the more balanced teams in the nation, featuring a bruising running game behind RB Rod Smith, who rushed for 1495yds so far and 20TD's. He's been grinding away the yards at a 5.1 YPC clip. Combine him with backup RB Dan Durbin (520yds, 8TD's) and they make a very dangerous duo. This is all behind SR-QB Braxton Miller, who has put it all together to throw for 3129yds while throwing 28TD's to only 11 INT's. While his completion % is barely below 54%, he has been good in not turning the ball over. Of course you have to worry about Miller's speed, though he's been more adept in staying in the pocket, only amounting for 1TD on the ground this year. He's been going to the air, mostly looking for his slot man, 6'5" Ty Williams, who's 6'5", 22lbs and has 98 speed. Simply put he's pretty much unguardable in the slot. Many teams have struggled trying to contain Williams.​

Defensively, the Buckeyes have been a very opportunistic bunch, led by the play of JR-DT Michael Bennett who leads the team with 10 sacks on the year. But don't get it twisted, this bunch of buckeyes bring the pressure from all angles, with 5 guys with 6 sacks or more for them. They also helped OSU become #4 in the nation in turnover differential, led by ball-hawking JR-CB Doran Grant, who has 8 INT's on the year. He's the top cover CB for OSU, who really relies on scheme and pressure to mask a secondary that's not beaming with top notch talent, specficially in their CB corps. But their defense is stout, as they are #3 in the nation.​

NEBRASKA'S KEY PLAYERS
    QB Brion Carnes (91), DT Chase Rome (89), CB Josh Stuckey (89), FS Craig Mack (87), RB Aaron Green (86)

Nebraska has been mostly about their offense in previous year but their defense has come along well. SR-QB Brion Carnes leads the crew here and has been airing it out, throwing for 3474yds so far this season with 33TD's but with 20 INT's. He's been bit with the INT bug this year and it has hurt Nebraska at times but down the stretch he leaned heavily on FR-WR Dustin Herron. The 6'4" WR climbed up the depth chart to #2 WR the last few games and has shined throughout catching 45 balls for 1150yds and 11TD's. Still, Nebraska briefly had a crisis in the backfield when Trey Smith went down to injury midway through the season, leaving stud RB/KR/PR Aaron Green as the main guy splitting duties in 3 positions. He held up well and rushed for 722yds and 11TD's as he took the place of Smith. Green's returning has been well documented: he won the best RET award for every year in college, with this year being his finest yet, returning 5 kicks for TD and 1 punt for TD. Good news is for this game, Smith is expected to be a go but it's unknown if he will get the start in the backfield.​

The much aligned Nebraska defense has been feisty all season and their play has been a bit of jekyl and hyde. The good centers around SR-DT Chase Rome, who has been a monster all year with 17.5 sacks and has been the anchor for this defense. Josh Stuckey has done a solid job containing the big time WR's in the conference and has even 2 sacks to go with his 3INT's but it has been the play of FS Craig Mack that has garnered some attention. Mack has 73 total tackles on the year and tied the team lead with 5INT's. His play alongside SO-SS A.J. Richardson has been noteworthy all year. This defense will give up plays, especially in the passing game as noted by their #96 rank in passing defense.​

This game looks to be highly contested and close...​

@The Parrothead, lemme know when u can run, I'm free after 7 tomorrow EST.​

• Like Like x 2
  2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I hate this. My 2 losses were to you bastids

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

And that's why we're in the title game and you're not. :D

4. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Nice writeup. I can go around 10:30 EST tonight if that works for you.

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

says the man who didnt even win his division :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

I expect a prompt delivery of checks to my players you payed off

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    1030 is fine parrot

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nebraska -6.5 vs Ohio State

Over/Under 59

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I woul love Nebraska -6.5 they're the real deal.

10. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I, too, will take Nebraska and give the points.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

12. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Nebraska

Over

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
  14. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Invited you before. Guessing the invite is gone. I'll try again.

15. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Sent again about 2 minutes ago. You not getting it?

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    nope been watching the screen the last 30 mins didn't get anything