2 point Point conversion rule

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by rushers24, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

My last game was decided off a failed 2pt conversion with seconds left at the end of the game. The score was 35 to 34, and the extra point would have tied the game and sent it into overtime. I allowed the attempt to happen without stopping the game because I knew that there was no rule against doing that. However, I feel that this should be addressed. I feel that the game is way slanted towards offense in this years game, and that going for it in that situation should not be allowed. If that would have been a playoff game or the Super Bowl and if I would have lost on a play like that I would have been very, very upset.

So I am proposing a new rule for when a 2 point conversions should be allowed. There are obvious times when 2 pt conv. should be allowed, even when your winning. So the rule should state something like this...

No player may go for a 2 point conversion unless it would put your team up, or down by 3, 6, 7, 9, 10 and so on. No player may go for a 2 point conv. at any point in the game to make a 1 or 2 point lead.

I really feel like this issue should be addressed and changed. Games should not be decided by a 2 point conversion when a FG will tie, especially in an important game in the playoffs. What do you guys think?

2. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

My personal view is I like what your opponent did. Obviously, if there was a rule against it, I would abide by it, but I wouldnt agree with it. Our rules restrict coaches enough (with good reason) but this is something I feel should be up to the individual player. It is not like it is taking advantage of a glitch, messing with the AI, or anything of that sort.

3. Austin811

Austin811 Go Dbacks!

Nope, I think Yankeery is correct 100%

Ive stopped 4th and 1 and inches many times, against human and CPU opponents, its all about trying to read the play.

Thats 2 yards, its definitely stoppable.

To be honest, if Im playing you, and I know how deadly you are, you specifically ....Im going for the two...just so I know if I stop you and get the two, I would win.

4. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I'm kind of torn here....yankeery is right about how the rules are already restrictive but then again I'd say you're going to make a 2 pt conversion more often then not. I think the best way to look at it is would you see it in an NFL game? I think going for 2 to win the game is a rarity even in college.
    I think I'll take the middle road on this one, allow it during the regular season but not in the playoffs. No NFL coach in his right mind would do that in the playoffs with the game on the line because he knows his job could be at stake and we don't have to worry about the CPU firing us because of bad coaching decisions.

5. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

My point is that it's too easy on offense this year, and the game is way slanted towards offense and not defense. If a good offense went for a 2 point conversion 10 times he's prolly going to get it 7 or 8 times. You see this happen once every five years in the NFL, if that. It is very rare for that to happen, and it would never happen in a playoff game. On top of that there is a difference between Madden and real life, and that's why there are rules and restrictions towards balancing that out. And that's why were in a SIM league.

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I tend to agree with Rush and think there should probably be some type of rule put in place. Put yourself in that situation - its the Superbowl - times expired and the game should be going to OT. Instead, your opponent is the Giants and has Brandon Jacobs - hes gonna go for 2 because he knows even if you hit Jacobs 2 yards in the backfield he's likely going to fall forward about 35 yards, lol.

If you really think about it, this years game is slanted towards offense. How many 3-0 or 7-6 games have we seen? None. How many 14-17 games have we seen, a couple. How many 42-37 games have we seen? A bunch.

To me its just obvious that the game favors more scoring - that being the case - its not exactly a 50/50 shot to get a 2pt conversion - not in my opinion at least. If you put a gun to my head and said put a number to it, I'd say its more like 65/35. Im in favor of installing a rule - what rule exactly - I don't know yet, but something.

7. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

I guess I'll reluctantly agree. If we could adjust sliders to fix defense, everything would be great

8. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Hopefully next years game we will have sliders and we can make defenses better and the game more balanced, and then we could possibly play with less restrictions and open some things up. We'll see.

9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I don't think there should be a written rule on the 2pt conversion. Going for it in the situation the Eagles did, it makes sense. There on the road, the division is at stakes, the streak is on the line. What have they got to lose? Ya it sucks for the game to come down to that decision, but at some point we have put the decision soley on the coach and maybe question excessive use of it to win games. Since he didn't make it, it should be a lesson that there is a defense for everything offensive in this game.

10. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Going for it on 4th down is also the coaches decision, as well as a risk. But seeing how the game is slanted towards offense this year, we have 4th down rules to help balance things out. The same thing should apply to the 2 point conversion. We can't go for it on 4th down anytime we want, nor should we be allowed to go for the two point conversion anytime we want. But I'm not completely against doing this, but I do believe there should be restrictions instead of it being left wide open. At the very least, a 2 point attempt in that situation should not be allowed beyond the season and into the playoffs.

I'm for what's best for the league though. If the majority wants it left alone with no rules, then so be it.

11. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

i don't have a problem with 2 pt conversions to win the game...its stupid to even consider making it a rule...If i know my Defense can't stop the offense i am facing i am not taking a chance in OT...

12. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I'm on the side of no rule, unless it starts being an epidemic. Its not like its a risk free proposition. So long as commons sense is used it shouldn't be a problem. it would be interesting to see the last time it was actually used in a non desperation scenario, (if ever) there are few NFL coaches who take risks. (Belichek). its been used heavily this year to tie games but I cant really ever remember seeing an NFL team gamble with a sure tie. however the minute someone gets cute and starts going for every Xp as a 2pt conversion. we will have a rule.

13. Keller

14. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

@Keller

My bad, still new here, figured I'd let the guys that have been here discuss it.

I don't think there should be a rule. :)...

Before I joined here I was in another Madden league, I was down 14 points with 1:10 left, I threw a deep ball to Brandon Lloyd, only down 7 late, then stripped Ryan Matthews, got it back and scored with like 8 seconds left, I went for 2 and ran a delayed QB run with Tim Tebow and won on a 2 pt conversion..my opponent was 1 mad dude. I felt like a dick but I also didn't feel like playing overtime.

I don't know how you can tell someone you can't go for the win, if your ballsy enough to do it, then do it. It's a touchy situation, How do you put a restriction on someone that you can't go for 2 if it puts you up 1 or 2 points but can go for 2 if your losing and it trims the lead to 2 scores or something...I don't like that.

Defense is part of the game, I know it's leaning towards offense this season, but if you call good defensive plays, you can stop someone's run. Covering crossing routes is a little tough, that's the only downfall of people going for 2.

I can see positives of a rule but I think it leans more on negatives..even if you set a rule of "you have to ask your opponent if u can go for 2", your opponent is going to cry no.

Was this conversation started because the Cowboys were scared their 30 game win streak was going to come to an end?

15. Keller

Trey, you make some good points, thank you for participating. Just because you're new doesn't mean don't participate. Tell your buddy Zach the same thing. I watch new guys for activity levels - if you're not active - you're gone. If you've been here awhile, I understand things come up and life is more important than video games so I'll cut you some slack but you new guys - big brother is watching.

16. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

I would have done the same thing the eagles owner did that's the way I play. It dont make any sense to go into overtime with offense being overpowered and nearly impossible to miss a 55 yard FG. IF I was told at the beginning of the game that I only had 3 yards get to win or lose I'm taking it every time. Its not like there is some type advantage, he didnt get it and he lost. I have had a few goal line stops myself in this league
    so I think its a 50/50 chance to win or lose. I vote no rule.

17. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

So it seems that most people so far agree that there should be no rule.

So here's the scenario. Your in the Super Bowl, same situation. Your opponent comes out for the 2 point conversion with no time left to win the game when a XP will tie. He drops back and throws a simple crossing pattern and wins the game. How upset are you going to be? Does everyone really want something like that to happen to decide our league champion? That is something that NO head coach would ever do in the NFL. Period.

18. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

^^^ I never thought a NFL coach would do an onside kick in the superbowl either.

19. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

True, that was a shocker. But it was a surprise play to start the second half. There was still a whole 2nd half of football left to be played, and calling that didn't directly result in winning or losing like a 2 point conversion would at the end of the game. The risk levels are way higher that no coach would chance.

20. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I get pissed whenever the opposing team scores.. If i lose on a 2 point conversion will not make me any less pissed than if i lossed in OT.

21. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

I dont think there should be a 2pt conversion rule because its your choice you can either get it and win or you miss and lose and say dang i probably should have just kicked it to go to OT but you also have to take into account if you came back from down 14 or so and you dont think you can beat the person in overtime then i would just go for the win.

22. Keller

I dont think theres anyway we can install a rule with so many people against it. Feel free to continue to weigh in but it would pretty much take everyone else voting for a rule to actually put one in place.

23. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

I've read this, but don't have a real strong opinion either way. It's hard to set solid rules because there are often exceptions where a broken rule could be justified.

Obviously, there are situations where a 2 point conversion is NEEDED. (down by 2, down by 10, up by 1).

Then there are also situations where a 2-point conversion is not needed, but is within the spirit of football. For example, against a stronger opponent in which you fear you cannot stop in overtime. Weighing in the possible factor that the offensive advantage makes a big difference on a 2 point conversion leaves the issue in the grey area.

I'm pretty much still neutral. If you all want to put in a rule where it's only allowed when NEEDED, that's cool. If you want to extend it to cover other situations, I'm fine with that too.

24. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

25. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Keep in mind what we decide here could put a lot of other aggressive-play related rules into question. The bottom line is that we're a sim league and one thing that has to be considered is if you would see this situation in a real game. Like rush said, the risk level is much higher in an actual game so the answer is no you wouldn't. If we let this slide then we have to accept that we are picking and choosing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.