#2 Purdue outlasts #3 Michigan in West Lafayette

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

#2 Purdue outlasts #3 Michigan in West Lafayette

Purdue wins a slugfest against #3 Michigan in West Lafayette

The Purdue Boilermakers turned a couple of monumental breaks and solid defense into a 38-26 win in front of a packed crowd at Ross-Ade Stadium.

In the first quarter this looked like it would be an absolute barnburner. Michigan took the opening kickoff. After a five-yard run by Joey Hackett, Bobby Horn dropped back, found nobody open, and scrambled for yardage. However, senior cornerback Rory Gonzalez, who has always found ways to make plays for Purdue, hit Horn right on the ball hand and knocked it loose. Russell Hixon recovered to give Purdue the ball. Brian Williams struck for a big play on the next snap, catching a 28-yard pass as coach Hellisan went for the combo-breaker super fantabular, jugular momentum switch. But he was tackled and Purdue ultimately settled for a field goal.

Then things got crazy.

Horn dropped back two plays later and threw a floater about 75 yards in the air. Marcus Robinson caught the ball in stride despite the efforts of free safety Chad Dean, and scored - officially a 71-yard bomb.

Purdue replied in kind - kind of. Anthony Robinson threw a floater about 60 yards in the air, and Michigan defender Barrett Ruud pulled ahead of Williams and batted the pass - right into Williams' arms. Touchdown, and Purdue was back on top. The momentum difference between having to punt and having the lead went a long way for Purdue.

[​IMG]
    Brian Williams' heads-up snag of a batted pass was extremely lucky for the Boilermakers

Michigan put on hard hats of their own and marched down the field on a 10-play drive that resulted in a 14-yard touchdown pass from Bobby Horn to Hackett. Middle linebacker Jermaine Brown was standing right in front of Hackett on the play, but was so surprised by the brazen throw of Bobby Horn that he didn't even lift his arms. "We suck," said Coach Hellisan.

There was a little bit of magic left for Purdue in that frenzied first quarter. The ensuing kickoff resulted in a 98-yard touchdown return by freshman T.J. Freeman.

Michigan tried to go back to the Horn-to-Robinson well, but this time beastly cornerback Michael Adams was on the scene and picked it off. Adams' interception marked a change from off-the-rails thrill ride to a more typical Big Ten battle. The game was ultimately won on defense.

Thanks to a couple of nice defensive stands, Purdue held Michigan to a field goal in the second quarter, and Robinson found Williams for a 15-yard touchdown pass before the end of the first half. Purdue held Michigan out of the end zone at the end of the second quarter and received the second half kick.

On the first drive of the second half, Purdue had a nice drive going, but Robinson was absolutely obliterated in the pocket and fumbled. Michigan recovered, essentially keeping the game much closer than it might have been had Purdue managed to punch it in.

[​IMG]
    Anthony Robinson is drilled by one of Michigan's uber-fast DE's and Smokin' Joe Frazier picks up the fumble

Horn found Hackett for a 62-yard gain a couple of plays later, but the Purdue defense got tough around the goal line once again, holding the Wolverines to a field goal. The key play was Jermaine Brown coming through the line so fast that he took down Horn for a three-yard loss on a play that was designed to be a pitch to Hackett. The Purdue offense stalled out the rest of the third quarter, as is often their wont.

The fourth quarter opened with Rory Gonzalez coming through with his second great play of the game. He shadowed Robinson down the field and did a great job of competing for another Horn lob. Robinson and Gonzalez had an equal shot at it, and Gonzalez came away with the ball before being shoved out of bounds.

[​IMG]
    Rory Gonzales is shoved out of bounds after intercepting a pass intended for Marcus Robinson

Purdue was able to put the offense in gear once more as Campbell scored on a 1-yarder on the following drive. The big play was a 29-yard pass from Robinson to TE Jordan Briggs. The wolverines were in this game until the very end, as they came right back down the field and scored on a five yard pass from Horn to Eddie Jones.

Purdue put the game away with some good playcalling by the coach and great running by Jonathan Campbell. Michigan blitzed while double covering Williams, and Campbell sneaked out of the backfield for a screen pass. The Purdue line led him down the field for a 32-yard gain. Campbell, who had 28 carries for 106 yards and 2 touchdowns then scored on a 21-yard run which resulted in the final score. Michigan had some time left on the clock, but Chad Dean atoned for the earlier blunder by intercepting a pass to send the Purdue crowd into a frenzy and on their way out the gates.

[​IMG]
    Campbell follows his line as he breaks free for a 32-yard screen pass

Code:
    [u]
           1st  2nd  3rd  4th  Tot[/u]
    MICH    14    3    3    6   26
    PUR     17    7    0   14   38

1ST QTR
    6:10 FG PUr:  W. Sanders, 21 Yd FG
    5:44 TD Mich: M. Robinson, 70 Yd Pass from B. Horn (xp)
    4:44 TD Pur:  B. Williams, 54 yd Pass from A. Robinson (xp)
    1:20 TD Mich: J. Hackett, 14 yd Pass from B. Horn (xp)
    1:07 TD Pur:  T. Freeman, returned Kickoff 98 Yards (xp)

2ND QTR
    2:36 FG Mich: M. Hancock 23 yd FG
    0:28 TD Pur:  B. Williams, 14 Yd Pass from A. Robinson

3RD QTR
    2:57 FG Mich: M. Hancock, 22 yd FG

4TH QTR
    5:57 TD Pur:  J. Campbell, 0 yd Run (xp)
    4:05 TD Mich: E. Jones, 5 yd Pass from Horn (2-pt failed)
    1:52 TD Pur:  J. Campbell, 21 yd Run (xp)

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

wow, awesome indepth write up. looks like its up to me to ruin your season again :)

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Cool pics!!

Michigan........choke!

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Dayum. Looks like rhude put the jinx on Michigan :)

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Purdue>>>oregon

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Our first tango tends to disagree with u ;)

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Tough loss but hardly a choke. We had won over 6 user games in a row and around 22 str overall.

Very hard to win on the road and even harder when plays you feel like should be at the very least a bat down resulting in a punt if not an interception turn into a TD for the other team.

The batted pass td and the kr td were game changers. Its also very hard to overcome four turnovers.

Our qbs offset each other each losing a fumble, the secondary for Purdue had sticky fingers and ours didnt. If we manage to pick a couple of the balls off we feel we should have the game is different.

If and buts...and all that...coulda, shoulda, woulda..not good enough on the road at #2

We had shots to get turnovers and didnt come up with them, Purdue did and thats the difference.

Grats to Helli.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

you guys are so sensitive and nice!!!

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

and ur a tool :D

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Don't make me record your ass on the mic when your losing!!!:monkeybutt:

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL... I think I'm the worst in the league pretty much by far. Bruce complains a lot but with him, it's honestly like a piano playing in the background to me anymore. If he's not bitching, I'm not doing my job.

Mike gets pissed and lets' out a quick "FUCK!!!" when he throws a pick, but I'm like a combo of Mike and Bruce X 10

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I might be worst than y'all...

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Really? I see you more as the cold calculating type that never gets his feathers ruffled. You're over there cursing?

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    LMAO hell yes

when I threw that pick...*cursed*

when I was getting sacked...WHAT DA F*CKKKKK

I'ma firecracker man...when I scored on him to take the final lead I did the Tiger Woods pump fist (y)

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Lately I have been trying to be better. If I know the game is gonna be tough beforehand (Michigan, yesterday) I generally keep it a lot more mellow. I try to stay focused because if i come unglued then my chances really go out the window. It's when I feel I have an equal or better shot that i tend to come completely unglued and act like an idiot on the mic.

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am quiet loser but after I lose I need to burn off some steam....I grab the pull up bar and do as many as I can before I feel like my lats are going to rip off my body...lol

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I just go TO the bar and drink as many beers as I can before I feel like my body is gonna kill me... hahaha! :D