#2 Vandy falls in Rivalry game

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by plex, Dec 6, 2010.

1. plex

plex Walk On

Hats off to Zikry for getting the upset victory. This loss stings because of how close it was to going the completely other way. My star running back Norman Fumbled twice once inside the UT's 5 and the other in Tenn territory. My QB Smith also fumbled inside Tenn's 5 yard line. Tenn(Zikry) made the big plays when he need too w/ two Td's of 50+ including a 96 yard TD scamper by his RB.

Hopefully My team can bounce back. If We play like this in the SEC Championship game I'll surely get blown out.

2. Itsnotagame

Itsnotagame Walk On

Down goes Fraser down goes Fraser. welcome to Sec Speed Zirky

3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Awesome game Plex, just got those bounces I needed this game to squeak out the W. I'll get a full writeup done sometime tomorrow! Hopefully next year we can meet in a game that means more to Tennessee than it did this year, lol.

4. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

ouch, didnt see that commin' gg zik!!! now plex gonna take it out on my ass in the conf game

5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

I'm shocked you guys didn't have a Tennessee coach. That team is just stacked with talent.

6. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

Bama too..............

7. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

New Coach, New Attitude
    Vols Shock #2 Vanderbilt 31-28
    [​IMG]
    In a game that meant little in terms of final standings for Tennessee, they welcomed in a new coach and with the promises of a brighter tomorrow the Vol fans packed the stadium looking for a spark in the team, what they would see would be one of the bigger shocks of the year as Tennessee ended Vanderbilt's undefeated season and possibly their shot at the BCS title game.​
    Vanderbilt would get the ball first and scored with ease on a 9 yard run by Warren Norman. That would surprisingly be all the scoring in the 1st quarter as the Vandy defense suffocated the Vols early on, while the Volunteer defense brought the pressure and kept the team in the game in the early stages.​
    In the 2nd quarter Tennessee would score 14 unanswered to take a 14-7 lead into halftime. First, after the Vol defense was able to strip the ball away, they were set on their own 4 yard line. Anticipating the blitz, Tennessee sent David Oku on a route to the flat and Tyler Bray found him perfectly as he was able to get past the blitzing defense and take it 96 yards to the house to tie the game up at 7. David Oku would get his 2nd touchdown of the day with 1:50 left in the half on a 7 yard run to give the Vols the 14-7 lead at halftime.​
    Tennessee would open up the 3rd quarter with 10 unanswered, as a 17 yard field goal was followed up with a 56 yard fumble return for a touchdown by ROLB Herman Lathers and all of a sudden the Vols had a 24-7 lead on Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt would narrow the gap to 10 with 1 minute left in the 3rd as fullback Ryan ven Rensburg took it in from 2 yards out.​
    After forcing Tennessee into a punting situation, Vanderbilt needed a quick score, and John Cole obliged, taking the punt 84 yards to the house and all of a sudden Vandy was only down 3 24-21. After both Tennessee and Vanderbilt exchanged possessions, Tennessee had the ball on their own 15 with 1:40 left in the game. Looking for Vandy to burn their timeouts David Oku took a handoff to the left and founds a big hole as the blitzing free safety was blocked perfectly, allowing Oku to take it up the sideline and score on a 85 yard run play to give Tennessee a 10 point lead once again. Vandy would not quit, and made their way down the field, without burning their timeouts, and scored a touchdown on a 11 yard pass to tight end Brandon Barden with 35 seconds left. After an unsuccessful onside kick Vandy stopped Oku on a first down run and burned their first timeout. Thinking that they would be unable to ice the game on the ground, Tennessee came out on 2nd down with the intentions to throw the ball, and that plan worked to perfection as Tyler Bray hit his tight end for a huge first down, effectively ending the game and giving the Vols the huge win to end the season.​
    Great Game Plex. See you next year!!​
    Tennessee Player Stats:
    QB Tyler Bray: 19-31, 286 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs​
    HB David Oku (Player of the Game): 14 carries, 128 yards, 2 TDs. 3 catches, 119 yards, 1 TD.​
    DE William Bohannon: 6 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble.​

8. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

some vids to go with that commentary!