20 NFL Players Arrested In 120 Days Since Lockout Began

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Richard Smiley, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Richard Smiley

Richard Smiley Walk On

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis predicted crime would rise if the NFL lockout didn't end soon.

A lot of people laughed off what Lewis had to say as hype from a player wanting the lockout to end soon, but his words are starting to look prophetic.

Do this research if we don't have a season," he told ESPN. "Watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game,"

The Sporting News just published the names of 19 (now 20) NFL players who have been arrested in the 120 days since the owners locked the players out, as they try to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement.

During the lockout there can't be any contact between the the teams and players. And while no games have been missed yet some players obviously need more structure, even in the off season. Normally teams would have had organized team activities by now. Also players would have been allowed to rehab injuries and workout at team facilities. With those options unavailable players have been left on their own, and some have made bad decisions.

There is some good news on the horizon. The owners and players appear closer than ever to ending the longest ever work stoppage in league history.

The two sides will continue to negotiate a new CBA this week.

Check out the list of NFL players who have been arrested since the lockout began on March 12.

March

13th: Vikings CB Chris Cook (brandishing a handgun)

17th: Raiders OT Mario Henderson (carrying a concealed weapon)

19th: Cowboys DB Bryan McCann (public intoxication)

25th: Packers DL Johnny Jolly (drug possession)

25th: Eagles OT Jason Peters (disturbing the peace)

30th: Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib (aggravated assault with a deadly weapon)

April

3rd: Raiders WR Louis Murphy (drug possession)

4th: Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel (felony theft)

12th: Titans WR Kenny Britt (eluding police, obstruction)

19th: Falcons S William Moore (speeding, driving with suspended license)

May

6th: Chargers LB Antwan Applewhite (drunken driving suspicion)

10th: Buccaneers DE Alex Magee (marijuana possession)

22nd: Bears RB Garrett Wolfe (theft, disorderly conduct, assaulting an officer, resisting arrest with violence)

June

8th: Titans WR Kenny Britt (resisting arrest)

9th: Colts RB Javarris James (drug possession)

16th: Packers CB Brandon Underwood (disorderly conduct)

17th: Seahawks DE Raheem Brock (theft, resisting arrest)

19th: Eagles LB Akeem Jordan (assault and battery)

July

9th: Steelers WR Hines Ward (drunken driving)

**UPDATE** 20th Player Arrested

10th: Bengals CB Adam "Pacman" Jones (disorderly conduct while intoxicated and resisting arrest)

I think the Lockout really needs too end soon man and Very fast because these NFL guys have too much time on their hands and none of their NFL checks are coming in so some guys cant Eat! cant feed their family... what do you guys think?

2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I don't think Lewis was talking about NFL players... but I guess he was right. ;)

The league minimum is close to 300k. If a player did not plan well enough to stretch that salary for that lockout that everyone knew was coming, I don't feel sorry for them.

3. Richard Smiley

Richard Smiley Walk On

i think it's 275k minimum 10% or 15% of that goes too his agent the other 10% of the goes too taxes and then that player gets the rest. even if you stretch that money it only goes so far when you have cash going out and not the same coming inn. my older sister has a boyfriend that plays for the Bengals here in cincinnati, He was a college free agent they signed in 2010 he made 275k 69k of that money went to his agent and paying taxes. he saved his money and he is good but he did tell me some guys are loose when you comes too saving money on the team..
    good post man

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Vrabel... Gets arrested, decides to retire and coach at Ohio State... fitting.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Their are only 3 Americans that are never wrong -- Charlie Sheen, Ray Lewis, and Jesus

Is this fact or fiction? Work blocks a lot of sports sites so I can't research right now.

6. DC

DC Shake n Bake

It's true, vrabel plans to retire and coach at Tosu

7. Richard Smiley

Richard Smiley Walk On

it's true man

8. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Reading this makes me sick. Poor NFL players, nice excuse.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Funniest thing is that on the other sports forums I go to, Ray Lewis was the butt of a lot of jokes. Now he looks like he Nostradamus (sp?)

10. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Can't feed their Families?? Yeah right!! Not with most of the contracts that alot of these guys make. The ones that are gonna be hit the Hardest is the FA and the Rookies.

FA- Only have the Money they got from their last teams, Hope that lasts.
    Rookies- Better Smarten Up and Not Blow yr Check on BS. Big Houses, Cars, Etc, Etc......

Most of the Names have been called before for Crimes, specially Pac-Man Trouble is his Middle name.

11. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I'm sure tax for them is more like 25-30%. I live in a state with no income tax and get 15% taken out while making $9/hr. Not that I feel bad for them. They are also friends with guys who make millions that they can borrow from.

-

And I think Ray Lewis was talking about crime inthe general public since people will have to occupy their time with someone less productive. I wonder how big of an increase this is over the same time period last year.

12. Richard Smiley

Richard Smiley Walk On

I think it is a Big increase from last year in theis same period... and yes ray was talking about non-players that work for the teams

13. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

It's been a while since I cracked open the Bible but I don't think Jesus was an American citizen. ;)

• Like Like x 2