#20 Penn State @ #4 Purdue

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

#20 Penn State @ #4 Purdue

Penn State traveled to West Lafayette in a game that marked the first meeting between these teams in three years. That's a lot of time to change game plans, play styles, etc.

Coach JMS and company had the mental edge as they had handled the Boilers easily in all but one of the previous meetings, and were unbeaten in the former matchups. For our part, we were throwing up in the locker room before the game.

On the opening drive, Purdue moved the ball in small chunks before Penn State blitzed and soph. QB Anthony Robinson threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Brian Williams over the top. (Highlight of touchdown pass to Williams)

Penn State moved down the field and was caught in the middle on a 4th and short. Punt and they might get 25 yards of field position. They went for it, and freshman corner back Michael Adams sacked N. Robinson and caused a fumble. Middle linebacker Jammal Brown recovered.

From there, Purdue widened the lead on a nice 19-yard touchdown carry by Robert Moore. It was Moore's only impressive run of the game, as he hurdled one defender at the line, caught a couple of good blocks, and then broke two tackles to get into the end zone. (highlight of Moore's touchdown run)

JMS and co. kept it close in the first half - if not on the scoreboard - but Robinson threw a couple of interceptions that stalled promising drives. Purdue led 17-0 at the half.

Penn State re-established Mark Williams in the second half as Williams dominated on the opening drive and scored on a 1-yard touchdown run. Purdue answered on the following drive with a short field goal to make it 20-7.

Penn State scored on their second consecutive drive, another 1-yard run courtesy of N. Robinson. This got Penn State right back into the thick of things at 20-14.

Purdue regained control with a 3:00 drive that culminated in a two-yard touchdown run by Robert Moore, as well as another two-yard 2-point conversion by Moore.

Penn State was feeling the pressure. They moved right back into scoring position, but Robinson was intercepted by strong safety Fred Green on the six yard line.

Rather than run into the teeth of a blitzing defense, Anthony Robinson executed a nifty lob to speedy tight end Chaz Barnes, who outran the Nittany Lion defense for a 94-yard touchdown that put the game out of reach. (Highlight of Barnes' touchdown catch)

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Off topic, but this is just horrible looking. Can't we force the screen to be a little less wide, ala the forums at Operation Sports? I shouldn't have to type 8-sentence paragraphs just to make it look decent.

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

This loss hurts Penn State in recruiting is my prediction, it will allow that RB to come to Michigan next week and be swept away, cause he isnt signing on with Old azz JoePa after this beating.

Maybe a soft commit and OSU is too far behing me to overtake me before the visit.

I see myself using the GT playbook next year with the QB I am going to get also..

Wishbone here I come.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice, let a supreme talent like Clark Smith rot away on the bench. PS, I welcome the wishbone... lol

I heart getting 3 fumble recoveries a game.

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

brucey, that RB is coming to OSU the same week (8) he's going to ann arbor. and we're pretty much equal on his interest bar i think. you better thump whoever you're playing

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I don't know what you guys are smoking..........I have a full bar on him....OSU is way far away and maybe Michigan has a shot......pick your battles............you lost this one.

7. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

odds are...after a loss, your 3rd of the year???, you didn't sign him in week 7. week 8, he is visiting both us and michigan, vs. the cpu. he'll sign with one of us after this week, prob michigan, since you're right. i remember checking last night and the wolverines had taken a lead over us

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

you are betting man correct??

I bet you $20 I sign him

9. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

make a bet where you don't sim ahead to see and know the answer

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

simming ahead doesnt mean anything regarding signing recruits

11. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

it gives you a pretty good indication that even after losing to helli, you didn't drop any. come on man...im a betting man, which should tell you that i dont make dumb bets without doing research. if i was a gambler, id bet you on this sucker bet. if you get him, congrats...makes up for probably falling to 4* program after the year :)

12. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

PSU mad overrated and they are on a downward spiral...hopefully the recruits wake up soon and realize this

13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

If he doesnt sign with PSU he is gone to Michigan we have the bar at over 3/4 with another week and visit lined up.

The only thing that stops us is if JoePa somehow cons another player into going to unhappy valley.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

PSU has a National Title....something a lot of folks are still striving for..........time is running out my friends.

A few weeks ago I simmed ahead after Corey Johnson visited and he signed immediately.........2-3 weeks later in real dynasty.....he is still trying to make up his freaking mind.

I was expecting these 2 down years.......I was hoping to be better this year but I am just filled with alot of mediocre players except Williams and Hutch. And I am struggling in the passing game on heisman
    My D-line is dismal....the cornerbacks are nothing special.....the FS is good....the SS is a freshman.

Thing is my Linebackers are good but good linebackers dont seem to have the impact that they should.

I remember playing madden against Chicago or Baltimore and Lewis and Urlacher were freaking beasts.....forget running up the middle.

All I know is signing this DE will give me an actual weapon on defense......I need this.

Rhude I leave you alone now......we are done till next season and this season is a wash for you. Kinger Cheesed your team for a victory.......you should feel raped!

15. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yeah, that wasn't cool.....

16. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Alot of people prefer the "wide screen" as it requires less scrolling down and more text is visible on the screen at a time. Yes, we do have a fixed width version of the style that i could possibly add to the style chooser.

Thanks for the compliment on the look and feel though, glad your so supportive.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah it really doesn't. I remember me and bbj were battling for a CB last year. When I simmed ahead, I got albin (he was a 5star CB)...when we advanced he went to USC. That's just of many cases though.

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL. I hope you're kidding. I meant my summary looked horrible, not the overall look/feel of the forums. I stated how I felt about white text on a black background but I'm in the minority there. Overall the layout of it is great.. lol

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i took that as a negative remark to how the forums are setup... and while it may not be aesthetically pleasing for you, i've tried my best to put in best practices for everyone... saying "it's horrible looking" kinda chapped my hide, because i spent alot of time working on getting the wide screen to function in just the way you are criticizing....

sorry if im sensitive, probably something i should let roll off my back. That being said, i will look into uploading the fixed width style as a user based style option for people who would rather view things that way.

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Sorry man. I assume you guys know that I'm appreciative of the effort that you guys have put into this. Especially because I have stated it before... You guys have done a fantastic job and this is a site that we can take pride in. I love the way that the usernames are above and all the content is below, I like a lot about how it looks. I just thought it looked funny that i typed out something that was several paragraphs in length and it looked like a series of sentences. But yeah I should really watch what I say, I can totally see how you could take it that way. Totally not intended as such Jeff... Sorry. I always forget how sensitive u are.. a real sweetie. :)

I've got a monitor at home that switches from horizontal to vertical, and I'm gonna set it up vertical for ease of reading, both on this site and the others that I frequent... So no changes necessary for me bro.

21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

no problem.. im just doing my best to scold more white guys... don't take it personally.

22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Are you guys kidding? Or did he...

23. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I would have thrown out that game and made Kinger replay it.......77-73.........out of bounds IMHO

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Um.... You did the same exact thing a couple of years back.... remember? CPU team plays out of its mind and you had to play with your hair on fire to beat them and it at least 100 combined points, more like 120?.... (still holding out hope that you're joking)...

edit: and royster with like 500 receiving yards in the game... lol

edit2: if you're saying this cuz it was a user team I can kinda see where you're coming from, I took the foot off the gas real early against Oklahoma for that reaosn...

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

U are correct that game should have gone thrown out also....but my game went into double overtime.....