2009 player ratings

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

2009 player ratings

Here are the overall and speed ratings for the starters (plus a couple WRs and CBs) for Michigan, aOSU, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin. I was going to do everyone, but I changed my mind. :) Maybe someone else can do those.

Of course, these can change on release day when EA puts the correct rosters in the EA Locker, but while, a lot of teams are screwed up, the major schools seem to be pretty okay. With that in mind, take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Michigan's average is within 2 points of OSU's, better than Notre Dame, and about the same as Wisconsin. Michigan easily has the worst offense (85 vs. 87.4 for aOSU, 87.4 for ND, and 86.2 for Wisc). Wow! ND's offense is as good as aOSU's! On the flip side, ND has by far the worst defense by a huge margin. 80.4 for ND, 86.8 for wisc, 87.2 for Mich, and 88.5 for aOSU.

If speed is the be all, end all like it was in '09, then things could be interesting. aOSU's the fastest team (big shock there) followed by Mich, ND, and wisc. The interesting thing is that Michigan has almost no speed at the skill positions on offense. aOSU has a LB that has the same speed as my starting WR and they even have a defensive end that's only 1 point slower than my starting wide out. ouch!

Anywho, here are the numbers. I hope this table looks okay.

EDIT: For speed, I didn't include the speed of linemen or kickers/punters so the speed average is mainly from guys from whom we care about their speed.

Column 1
    Position Mich aOSU ND WISC
    OVR SPD OVR SPD OVR SPD OVR SPD
    QB 83 85 91 90 90 71 84 74
    HB 89 90 89 92 90 95 90 90
    FB 85 82 81 87 80 80 81 76
    TE 84 83 88 83 90 86 92 86
    WR1 88 87 89 92 93 93 88 94
    WR2 87 92 87 93 91 90 87 90
    WR3 86 90 87 88 87 89 86 91
    WR4 84 87 86 95 86 88 85 93
    LT 82 86 86 91
    LG 86 92 86 87
    C 89 90 87 85
    RG 86 85 81 81
    RT 85 87 95 89
    K 78 86 81 81
    LE 93 84 89 75 69 79 86 82
    DT 91 88 88 91 84
    DT 85 88 85 88
    RE 85 81 93 86 78 80 86
    LOLB 85 82 87 87 75 84 89 80
    MLB 85 84 88 85 82 84 85 82
    ROLB 86 84 89 84 83 84 84 85
    CB1 91 94 90 93 87 92 87 91
    CB2 86 92 87 92 86 94 86 90
    CB3 83 90 86 92 80 91 85 91
    FS 86 92 90 91 77 90 89 91
    SS 88 91 94 93 74 92 89 91
    P 90 82 81 84
    AVG 86.1 87.2 88.0 88.8 84.0 86.8 86.5 86.7
    O-AVG 85.1 87.0 87.4 90.0 87.4 86.5 86.2 86.8
    D-AVG 87.2 87.4 88.5 87.8 80.4 87.0 86.8 86.7

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Interesting stuff. Things look pretty close overall - closer than I would have thought. I figured the bad season last year would have carried over into bad player ratings this year. Glad it didn't. The closer the game, the more fun it is to play.

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Thanks for doing this.

I checked it out a couple weeks ago and ND's roster is pretty messed up. Several 2008 seniors still on the roster, only 1 freshman (Te'o, who's an 82 or 83), walk-on QB3 (Montana) and 5* soph (Crist) are rated the same. DL & LB ratings are all over the place, I can't even make out who they're supposed to be and one of the DE starters is a 69. DB, especially S ratings are atrocious. Also without some major changes, ND will have no decent OL in year 2. I think they did a pretty decent job with the offensive starters. Backup WR's are overrated (redshirt freshmen that were good recruits, but are rated like 86's). I'm pretty certain that even the updated rosters are going to stink for ND, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Jello (if you're still reading after my rant) - a little off topic, but what is your expectation / hope for the real Michigan squad this year? I know Forcier had a good spring game, but true freshmen QBs struggle. I think they return the whole o-line right? Offense should improve with being in year 2, but I can't get past having a true frosh QB (who's not T Pryor, V Young, etc). Defense lost a lot. I'm guessing 6 wins. Looking at the schedule I can't see them winning fewer than 5 or more than 7.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Dat, our (yours in the OD, our passion in real life) roster should be bad. We don't develop our talent, and it hurts. I know it hurts you too, to see so many "great" recruiting classes not pan out. I am eternally optimistic with the Irish though, and I think the changes of personnel that were made will benefit the team.

WE ARE...

N D!

5. jello1717

I think we can certainly get back to a bowl game this year. We've should win at least 3 of our 4 OOC games (Western, Eastern, and Delaware State) and I think we certainly have a shot against Notre Dame. Our schedule is also pretty ridiculous in the sense that we have 8 home games! In conference, we certainly should be able to beat Indiana and Purdue. The rest of the conference schedule will be rough.

Even though Forcier is a FR, he's been on campus all year and he will have just as much experience as both Threet and Sheridan had last year, but he's much more talented, and most importantly, he has the skill set that Richie Rod needs for his offense. Because of this, while he certainly won't be as good as he will be as he matures, he'll certainly be much, much better in this system as a freshman than either Threet or Sheridan were (which isn't really saying a whole lot). On top of that, we still have Minor and Brown in the backfield and, while they're not the types of backs that Richie Rod would prefer, they're still really good. We'll definitely need a lot of help at the receiver position though.

6. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I've had this argument with several buddies who all feel the way you do. You're definitely in the majority of ND fans (and obviously non-fans) with those thoughts. But I think people are still hurting over 2007 and to a lesser extent last year, and don't realize how much our lack of experience hurt and how much teams can change from year to year. Those recruiting classes that people love to say didn't pan out are now true juniors and sophomores. You can argue that the 4th year senior class (2006, Weis' first class) was disappointing, but it was mostly because of transfers out due to better younger players coming in and beating them out (eg D Jones, Z Frazier, K Reuland, M Carufel). And 06 didn't come close to having the top-end talent the 07, 08, and 09 classes. The 05 & 04 classes were atrocious due to T Willie's propensity to golf rather than recruit. These were our 5th and 4th year players last year. Look up those classes on rivals, they're awful.

I put some of the blame on Weis for 2007, but not all given the bare cupboard we had in the junior and senior classes. In my mind, we probably could have won 6 games, Weis tried to get too cute thinking he could squeeze out 9 and we won 3. But that roster was terrible. Last year we had true sophs starting at QB, RB, WR, true freshmen at the other WR and TE, the 3rd WR and 2nd HB were true sophs, and 5 of the top 6 OL had 3 or fewer seasons in the program. The D played a few older guys, but other than Bruton none will be missed. We are better this season at literally EVERY position in both sides of the ball but FS and I'd say Bruton to Harrison Smith (rSO) is a wash. Hayseed started out of position at OLB last year as a rFR and was still nasty.

I know we've been disappointed the last couple years, but when I hear "not developing talent" cited as the reason I cringe. Especially when so called "analysts" on ESPN and such say it. That's why I think everyone will be surprised by ND this year even though they shouln't be. And 2010 will be even better. Give me some examples of players under Weis that haven't developed.

Dear God I am nervous for this season.

7. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I pretty much agree with all that. Although admittedly I'm hoping Forcier struggles early and it brings out the Forcier in him, leading to his and the team's self-destruction.

I'm going to be let down if ND doesn't beat them by 2 td's in Ann Arbor. I think it could be a beatdown (see my post above), but I'll stop short of predicting that it will definitely happen.

I know you guys won't believe me, but normally I really am a pessimist when it comes to my sports teams. For instance, I'm predicting 4-5 wins for my Denver Broncos this year (although I might not be in the minority there).

8. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Where did you find the ratings?

9. jello1717

They're on the teambuilder site.
    http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/ncaafootball/create_a_school

You can create a team, and then there's a section for roster where you can use any roster that's in the game, so you can see the roster of any team that'll ship with the disk. This year, however, the rosters are really borked for some teams (Texas Tech only has 58 players!) with a bunch having people who already graduated, others with almost no freshmen on them, and other with players that never existed, etc. Luckily, this year we've had the teambuilder site so people have known for about a month now how horrible the rosters are and let EA know. Because of this advanced notice, EA has fixed the rosters and will release the correct ones to EA Locker on the 15th (the day after the game releases).

A lot of teams are close (Michigan, aOSU, Florida, and most of the major programs) while others are completely hosed.

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Just to clarify, as it pertains to the EA rosters I'm mostly disappointed with the inaccuracies in the player #'s, who's starting, and how under/over-rated so many of them are. I'm not really concerned with the team rating overall, which seemed to be pretty accurate. And I know my opinion as a fan will vary with an objective one, but I try to think of it objectively.

Brian Smith, our defensive leader and best LB is rated a 78 whereas Maurice Crum was a 90+ last year. Crum was overrated, Smith should be somewhere in the 86-87 range. Similiarly, it looks like they made Robbie Parris (4th or 5th WR) an 86 which is way too high. I don't even see Ethan Johnson (possibly our best defensive player) on the roster. He should be at least an 87-88 as a true soph. And after leading the team in tackles last season, 5th yr SS Kyle McCarthy is rated like 10 points lower than last year. I think Grimes and Bruton (5th yr seniors last year) are still on the team. There are other players I don't recognize. This is all of the top of my head, I can't access the teambuilder site at work. But outside of the offensive starters, nothing is even close.

11. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Dat, you and my older brother should get together to talk about the great things happening with ND football. I love the optimism but just can't buy in. I agree with Basis, and the ESPN pundits (Cowherd anyone?), that the recent ND recruiting classes don't appear to get coached up and improve, but to me the most obvious problem is a lack of motivation and discipline. I do not believe Charlie can relate to these kids for whatever reason, possibly due to his pumped up ego, and I do not see a football team that is fired up and motivated to win. The inability of our OL to blow the San Diego State D-line off the ball (their starting 3 or 4 lineman were injured in the spring and they had one of the worst run defenses in the country the year before) and run for more than 100 yds. is example number 1. Example #2 is ND's pathetic showing later in the year at home vs. Syracuse. That was an awful Syracuse team, fielding a lot of 1 star type recruits and ND's 3, 4 and 5 star recruits couldn't find it in themselves to beat that lowly team in South Bend. I know there are a lot of little excuses that the optimistic fans can point to as to why we have underperformed these past couple years, Willingham left the cupboard bare, bad position coaches, transfers, etc., but the fact is that these kids do not appear to get better and they do not appear to have the fire that teams from almost any of the other traditional power seems to have.
    We have a very easy schedule and should easily win 9 or 10 but I don't think we will. We will lose 1 or 2 we shouldn't, and have a couple more that are a lot closer than they should be. We may end up with around 8 wins but it will not look like it should and I think Charlie will be gone.

12. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

God I hope so...I hear ND calling Urbie's Name.:D

13. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Blitz, I can't really say you're wrong overall. Those are good points, and I can see your scenario of 8 wins (as my absolute downside case). I can't explain Syracuse, or not being able to get a first down against USC for almost 3 quarters. I think confidence had something to do with it. I've wondered about the motivation thing, Weis definitely takes a low key approach. But he's not the first coach with that personality (Tom Osborne comes to mind). Weis obviously relates well to these kids or they wouldn't be signing LOI's and coming to ND. My biggest worry for this year, and the thing I had the toughest time figuring out last year, is the run blocking. You're right, we should be able to knock SD State's dline off the ball and get 3 yards every play. I really don't know why we can't. I could see the o-line this year being like 05/06. Has experience, pass blocking is solid, but the running game will be set up by the pass. I'm hoping the run blocking improves somehow with Hart though.

I would say the schedule is average, not "very easy". Everyone is going to talk about how easy it is, but that's not really true. It's manageable though. We should be better on paper than every team besides USC, but we won't be good enough to not drop 1 or 2 that we're favored in. I'm guessing 10 wins. If things fall right, 11 or 12 isn't impossible. If they don't, neither is 8.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which player(s) specifically have lacked in their development.

14. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

You guys are gonna love Weis again in 2 years, wait and see. Fans can be so fickle.

The people who 4 or 5 years ago said ND would never be good again b/c they can't recruit well enough with their academic standards are the same people now claiming this generalized "development" issue. Those who followed closely knew that Davie was a good recruiter, but an idiot, and Ty W was the laziest POS snake oil salesman to walk the earth. It's true that ND can't get about 1 out of 3 players past admissions, so it does shrink the pool. But they have advantages too. With hard work (like Weis has put in), good classes are possible/happening. I don't know if Weis has proven he CAN develop guys, but at this point it's too early to say for sure than he can't. This season will be telling.

15. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I'm not FICKLE. I just want him to leave UF. Not to mention, he would recruit quite well.

16. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

And I'm sure he would post records better than 3-9 and 7-6.

17. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Sorry AMP, I was thinking of Basis when I posted that. :) Wrong Florida team.

I'm out for the weekend. Let 3 days of unchecked Weis bashing commence.

18. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

NO harm no foul. ND FEARS ORANGE.:D

19. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Yes, I'm sure he would have won MNC's in those years. :rolleyes:

I'll bet Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardzija wish Urbie would have come to ND instead of Weis.

And now I'm out....seriously

20. jello1717

Test smaller box score table:

Column 1
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    Michigan 17 21 10 28 76
    Ohio State 0 3 3 0 6

21. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Way to go. Apparently you kept pryor off the field.

22. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Dat, when I talk about the lack of development of talent, I am also referring to coaching high school kids and molding them into college athletes. Two aspects of our team that have REALLY bugged me for the past few seasons: offensive line and our inability to TACKLE consistently. I have not been keeping up with ND's offseason so much, but I am pretty sure we replaced our O-Line coach? Granted we had a couple of injuries last season (I think? again, not positive), but overall the unit was pure garbage. Our defense was also the worst tackling team that I have seen ND put on the field last season. If we could tackle, we don't lose to North Carolina, we don't lose to Pitt, and we don't lose to Syracuse. That would have been a 9-3 regular season. I really like the looks of our team this season, and with another year for Clausen, Allen, Floyd, Rudolph, Kumara, Tate, etc. etc. etc., an easy schedule, and the hope that our O-Line and tackling is better. Honestly, 10 wins doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. I would be happy with 8.

As far as Weis goes, I never wanted him out. I think he is a good coach who didn't surround himself with the right people to win.

23. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Another ND point -- if we go 11-1, we better not be ranked anywhere near the top 8 with our schedule.

24. jello1717

Heh. I'm just playing around with box scores, trying to make them easy and look good for my blog. I like how in this forum, I can just paste a table from excel, hit the "table" icon above and it'll make a pretty table for me. I tried copying the html it creates to my blog, but it didn't work out well.

Oh, yeah. And since I'm just playing around, there's a slight chance that those numbers in that box score might have been made up.

25. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

And AWAAYYYYYYYYY WE GO!!!!

9/05/09 Nevada (WIN)
    9/12/09 @ Michigan (LOSS)
    9/19/09 Michigan State (WIN)
    9/26/09 @ Purdue (WIN)
    10/3/09 Washington (WIN)
    10/17/09 USC Notre Dame (LOSS)
    10/24/09 Boston College (LOSS)
    10/31/09 vs. Washington State (WIN)
    11/7/09 Navy (LINE GAME)
    11/14/09 @ Pittsburgh (WIN)
    11/21/09 Connecticut (WIN)
    11/28/09 @ Stanford (UPSET - LOSS)

8-4, or 7-5 IMO. You guys win the bowl game. Weiss is fired, Urban brings you a NC the year after. I'm not a ND fan in any way, but with the talent you guys bring in you should be contending every year. Weiss came in on a good class and his true colors are now seen. Just my two cents.