2009 SEC Rushing Stats

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Aug 14, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2009 SEC Rushing Stats

I know this was a part of the heated slider discussion regarding the run game so I thought I'd provide these as I was looking at them in my Phil Steele mag this morning. Given that the SEC is one of the toughest conferences defensively top to bottom, I figured this would be a good the best conference to use.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Name School YPC
    Anthony Dixon MSU 5.4
    Mark Ingram Ala 6.1
    Ben Tate Aub 5.2
    Montario Hardesty Tenn 4.8
    Dexter McClutchen UM 6.5
    Washaun Ealey UGA 5.7
    Derrick Locke UK 4.7
    Warren Norman VU 5.4
    Caleb King UGA 5.2
    Trent Richardson Ala 5.2
    Jeff Demps UF 7.5
    Onterio McCalebb Aub 5.4
    Kenny Miles SC 5.4
    Zac Stacy VU 4.5

***Note: I've excluded anyone w/less than 99 carries.

So, as you can see, even the Vanderbilt HBs averaged around 5 ypc in the SEC. These guys are no where near pro material and playing against superior competition and they still did this. So perhaps our idea of what YPC should be is a bit off. It's certainitly not like the traditional NFL ypc we're all probably used to of 4.5 being an extremely great season.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

C'mon KSherm... OMU? Really?

The University of Mississippi - UM or Ole Miss, not OMU!

:D :HoosierHoo: :D

Is it possible that the SEC defenses are overrated top to bottom? A better study may be of how each of their 12 opponents did against the top 25 rushing defenses. Way more work, but might provide a better picture of reality.

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

My bad on the Ole Miss haha.

The SEC has been rated the #1 conference the past 3 years by Phil Steele. You got beef, write him a letter. I'm going to concede that he knows more about college football than you and I combined. So, taking the rushing stats for the league's HB's, many of which aren't the best in the nation, shows a fairly rounded out sample. I briefly looked through the Big 10, and the numbers looked slightly lower, but pretty similar.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah I wasn't "attacking" the SEC itself, more so that conference-specific might not be the *best barometer. Not the worst barometer either for sure.