2010 Conference USA Title Game

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JerzeyReign, Apr 10, 2010.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

2010 Conference USA Title Game

[​IMG]

#20 Memphis vs. #3 Southern Methodist University​

Dallas, Tx- A game for the ages. Most of the country thought this would be a waltz for the #3 SMU Mustangs. Even though Memphis posted impressive wins against #25 Houston, #20 Tennessee (at the time of game), and #19 Marshall no one gave these Tigers a shot.

"It was us against the world today. I told my team, win or lose its' been a helluva ride." Coach JerzeyReign said afterwards. The Tigers are 10-1 under his direction.

The Tigers would start off fast in this one. The Tigers took their opening drive and mixed up their playcalling well as T.Bass was able to pick apart a zone defense and connect with T.West for a 48 yard touchdown pass to open the scoring.

[youtube]7jsNFefOuww[/youtube]​

After a SMU punt the Tigers would once again use their passing attack and strike again. This time C.Baker would catch his first of three TD receptions to put the Tigers up 14-0 in front of a shocked SMU crowd.

[youtube]V38aD_cS75c[/youtube]​

"T, hit me right in the numbers. He was on point all day." Baker said of his 62 yard touchdown reception. He ended the day with 4receptions for 171 yards and 3 TDs.

[youtube]suHp60-HD64[/youtube]​

That touchdown would begin a streak of 7 straight possessions in which these teams traded points to end the first half. A 4 yard touchdown run by Memphis' Lance Smith would cap the first half scoring with the Tigers in front 31-17.

"That was crazy. Sucked for our defense because our coaches were pretty mad at 'em but fun for the offense. On Smith's run, Coach JerzeyReign decided not to call a timeout and kick a FG but instead hurry up and call a toss left against a clock inside 5 seconds to get Smith across.

"I had to make a point to our team and theirs. Had to show 'em we weren't here playing not to lose but we were here to win it." Coach Jerzey said of his decision.

Two and a half minutes into the 3rd quarter and no one on the Memphis Tigers' sidelines were smiling. That's because SMU marched down the field on the opening possession and put up 7 thanks to a 21 yard touchdown reception by B.Haynes. On Memphis' next play from scrimmage, T.Bass would throw a duck and T.Thompson of SMU would return it 40 yards for the score. Just like that the score was knotted at 31 apiece and SMU had all the mojo. Memphis would be able to tack on a FG late in the 3rd quarter to limp into the final frame up 34-31.

SMU would respond quickly. SMU took their next possession and marched down the field at will and Z.Line capped the impressive drive off with a 2 yard TD run. After defensive stands for most of the quarter, the Tigers were moving late. After some impressive runs by Lance Smith, he was finally able to cross the goalline to put the Tigers up 41-38 with 1:08 to play.

SMU would once again go on the warpath. Their passing game was in sync as they got their kicker into range with only 8 seconds remaining.

SMU's kicker took his steps.... and right befoe the snap Memphis calls a TO to ice 'em. SMU's M.Szymanski has ice running through his veins because the kid nailed the kicked with 4 seconds left in the game.

68 yards from the endzone and with one second remaining on the clock Memphis decided to give it one more shot then prepare for overtime. But a funny thing happened on the way to overtime......

[youtube]MrMdtOa_ErI[/youtube]​

BASS PUMPS, HE'S GOT BAKER! BALLS UP!! BAKER HAS A STEP!! HE MAKES THE CATCH!! 15,10,5 TOUCHDOWN!! NO FLAGS ON THE FIELD!! THE TIGERS WIN!! THE TIGERS WIN!! THE TIGERS UPSET SMU!! HOLY *BLEEP* THE TIGERS WIN!!!!!

Memphis Player Stats:

T.Bass: 18/25 347yds 4TD 1INT
    L.Smith: 23att 124yds 2TD
    C.Baker: 4rec 171yds 3TD (POTG)
    D.Davis: 9tack 1TFL

SMU Player Stats:

B.Mitchell: 20/29 289yds 2TD 0INT
    S.McNeal: 14att 93yds 1TD
    S.McNeal: 4rec 98yds 1TD
    C.Rogers: 10tack

Great Game Onaradio. Best game I've ever played on TF. Back and forth game. Still can't believe a Hail Mary won it...

2. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Heartbreaker for the Mustangs...oh well, we get to spend Christmas in Hawaii

3. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Nice game... suicide watch for SMU's SS #41

4. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Good thing I signed a 4 star safety, I think the writing may be on the wall for #41