2010 Michigan State Spartans

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2010 Michigan State Spartans

All Game Summaries for the Spartans can be found here.

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans Start Off Season on a Winning Note​

Michigan State - 42

Western Michigan 14

After a long 8 months of waiting Spartan Stadium was packed as they played host to the Western Michigan Broncos. The Broncos would receive first and make an impressive drive going up 7-0. Michigan State wasted no time in scoring a TD of their own but losing starting QB K. Cousins for 3 weeks on a strained shoulder. Boisture would fill in for him and do a pretty good job. The Spartan running game would dominate between the two runners for a combined 227 yds and 3 TDs. The defense played well also, holding the Broncos to under 200 yards of offense, there were no turnovers in this game.

Michigan State starts this season off 1-0 and host Coach Fuzzy and the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in Week 2.

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    WVU 7 0 0 7 14
    MSU 7 7 14 14 42

Notable Stats:

L. Caper 20 Att, 135 yds, 1 TD

E. Baker 8 Att, 90 yds, 2 TD....Earned Player of the Game

C. Gantt 4 Rec, 88 yds, 1 TD

B. Cunningham 1 KR, 93 KR yds, 1 KR TD

Greg Jones led the defense with 6 solo tackles and 2 TFL.

Overall the defense had 2 Sacks.

View Highlights in The Wire

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans can't defend home turf​

MSU 14

Rutgers 30

The first game got disconnected at the end of the 3rd so these two teams headed out onto the field again and fought hard for the first half. But Michigan State's O line and QB could not handle the strong blitz the Rutgers D employed. QB Boisture just could not escape the pressure each time he stepped up to pass and the Spartan run game was running strong but tired out in the second half.

Michigan State falls to 1-1.

GG fuzzy.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans rack up the yards but can't win

Michigan St 31

Notre Dame 34

Michigan State outgained the Fighting Irish 527 yds to 335 yds but the Irishs ability to capitalize off of their drives and the Spartans inability is what caused their downfall, not to mention the 24 pt 4th quarter Notre Dame put on. Caper and Baker combined for 3 TDs on the day, managing to make Swiss Cheese of the ND Defense. The crowd played a huge factor on Boisture's accuracy as he only completed 19/36, but still managed 382 yards and a score. This game was very tight on the new sliders but the Spartans head home dejected.

Box Score

MSU 0 7 10 14 31
    ND 7 3 0 24 34

Michigan State falls to 1-2 and will host the USF Bulls Week 4.

Notable Stats:

J. Boisture 19/36, 382yds, 1 TD, 0 INT

L. Caper 25 Att, 118 yds, 1 TD

E. Baker 9 Att, 41 yds, 2 TD

The only defensive production was the 1 INT by DT Worthy. Big guy stuck his paw up and managed to hang on.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Losing streak continues

Michigan State 7

USF 38

What looked like a close game quickly became a blowout. USF completely dominated the Spartan defense. NO ONE could tackle and the pass defense might as well not have been on the field. USF's HB had at least 200 yards and 3 TD's I believe. QB Cousins made his return after a brief injury and did not impress, Boisture is looking like a better starter at the moment. Caper did manage to gain 80 yards on the ground but those stats don't even stand out compared to Planchers. USF definetely deserves that ranking. GG rice.

Coach Comments: "I have never seen defense played worse in my life, they only had 5 3rd downs. Their running game easily blew by us, there was a definite speed advantage. I'll admit this game was making me angry, I uttered a few expletives I hope the TV Cameras didn't see. All I know is my team better shape the f**k up before we open Big 10 play."

Michigan State continues to fall, now at 1-3. They open conference play against Wisconsin next week. Nearly everyone in the nation is looking at the Badgers to thrash MSU.

Players of the Game

USF: M. Plancher 20 Car, 225 yds, 3 TD

MSU: L. Caper 14 Car, 80 yds

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans slay Badgers

Michigan State came into this game on a 3 game losing streak hoping to turn their luck around and start their Big 10 campaign with a win. Well Lady Luck smiled on them today as they dominated the #7 Badgers on both sides of the ball and earned a huge upset. At first the game was very close with the score being 14-14 with 1:30 left and then MSU exploded with 14 points before the half to go up 28-14 and never look back. The key players of the game were Cousins, Caper, Martin and Rucker. Cousins threw for 351 yards, redeeming himself for the previous week. Caper ran for 160 yards and a score. Martin caught two TD passes and Rucker had an amazing game with 3 INT's, all off of what looked like the same play. Only Wisconsins John Clay was able to baffle the Spartans. This phenomenal HB made a statement in today with 12 Att, 255 yards, 3 TD. MSU could not tackle this guy, it's like he was greased up and ready to go. But even with this Heisman Award worthy day, Clay still could not help his team win. If they had ran him more they would have destroyed Mich St, but Tolzien kept trying to pass in route to a 3 INT day with only 50 yards passing. Overall Wisconsin had 70 yards through the air. I have never seen MSU's pass D play so well and I hope this continues.

Coach Comments: "Damn good football. My boys came into the conference opener fired up and made a statement, Rucker was excellent, he held onto those picks. And I couldn't be happier Cousins redeemed himself with a huge day. Can't forget Caper either, he ran that ball with a renewed passion. I hope this carries over onto next week when we face our in state rival."

Michigan State snaps the losing streak and are now 2-3 (1-0) and face in-state rival Michigan in Ann Arbor next week.

Stats and Highlights in The Wire.

Highlight descriptions (the first three are near the end of the 2nd qtr):
    #1) Cousins hits Martin for a 25yd TD
    #2) 1 of Ruckers 3 INT's
    #3) Cousins hits Cunningham for a 51yd TD
    #4) Caper finally runs in a score in the 4th after a great day running
    #5) Greg Jones roughs up Tolzien

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans dominate in yardage again but come up short...again

The Spartans headed into Ann Arbor with high hope as they wished to down the Wolverines. But as always the Wolverines play with no sportsmanship as they went for it on nearly every 4th down. It was a pretty close game throughout with Michigan State leading 10-7 at halftime and Michigan up 21-17 after three. The only one that got me mad was late in the 4th quarter they have the lead and go for it on 4th and 5 and get the first then score a TD moments later. Forcier didn't really give me troubles running but the defense did not play anywhere near close to what they did last week. The Spartans had 1 minute to drive down field and win this game but once they reached enemy territory Cousins got knocked out with a dislocated finger and Boisture couldn't fill the spot, leading to 4 and out and a Michigan victory. Cousins was on FIRE this game as he shattered Michigan State records by throwing for 547 yards and 2 scores. The running game was held in check all day, thanks to the O line never blocking, by Michigan with Caper being knocked out for the game and Baker managing to score once. Two late INT's and the injury is what did the Spartans in as they fail to make it three years in a row and are already looking towards next season to whoop the Wolverines.

Coach Comments: "I respect every team and coach, but I can't help but have a special sort of feeling towards Michigan. Everyone expects us to lose and from here on out, I am shutting everyone up. We lost by 4 points, I bet the college football world will make it sound like a blowout. But losing means nothing to me really except in this game, we could go 1-11 as long as I beat the Wolverines. Michigan State gets no respect when it comes to this matchup, people can say what they want. All I got to say is they better be ready for one hell of a game next year, this time we won't lose I can guarantee that."

Michigan State can't extend their win streak to 2 and fall to 2-4. They host the Fighting Illini next week in what will likely be another loss.

Box Score

MSU 7 3 7 7 24
    Mich 7 0 14 7 28

MSU - 589 total yards offense
    Mich - 441 total yards offense

Notable Stats

K. Cousins 31/59, 547 yds, 2 TD

Chris D. Rucker 7 Rec, 178 yds, 1 TD

Even though the stats don't show it for some reason MSU did force a fumble on the option. The Wire is being screwy and not showing my story. I didn't save any highlights anyway, I was too busy screaming obscenities and looking for something to hit.

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans upset Hawkeyes!!

Michigan State 34

Iowa 27

After going down 7-27, Michigan State scored 27 unanswered points in the second half to pull off an upset no one would have predicted. With bowl hopes on the line every game the Spartan D must have woke up because they pitched a second half shut out. Iowa was desperate as they continously tried to pass but it would amount to nothing but an eventual INT by Rucker. Several key plays lead to the victory for MSU. The early TD pass from Cousins to Martin, the fumble recovery, two field goals and a TD from Cousins to Gantt that would put the Spartas on top. Caper was a monster in the run game earning 142 yds on 30 carries, Baker would run one score in also. Receivers Martin and Chris D. Rucker (WR not CB) would be the main target of Cousins today, both surpassing 100 yards receiving. Cousins would ultimately earn POTG honors. Did I mention Stanzi was injured for the whole game, making it just a bit easier for MSU?

Michigan State finally earns a win, on another upset, and are 3-6(2-3). They host Minnesota in another exciting Big Ten matchup next week.

Box Score

MSU 0 7 10 17 34
    Iowa 14 13 0 0

Notable Stats

K. Cousins 14/32. 273 yds, 3 TD

L. Caper 30 Att, 142 yds

C. D. Rucker 6 Rec, 102 yds, 1 TD

K. Martin 4 Rec, 125 yds, 1 TD

C. Gantt 3 Rec, 30 yds, 1 TD

Neely earns defensive POTG with 8 tackles (6 solo, 2 shared), 4 TFL, 1 Sack

Overall the defense got: 2 Sack, 2 INT, 1 FF & 1 FR.

Highlights on Wire include:

1) Cousins 67yd TD pass to Martin
    2) Key Fumble recovery that would spur the Spartans to make it a game (ruled a backwards pass btw)
    3) Rucker intercepts to seal the victory for MSU
    4) FG that put MSU up by 7
    5) Video that shows a WR WIDE open on the right side but for some reason the Iowa QB decided to wait until who knows when to throw it.

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

No Bowl for Spartans

Michigan State 49

Minnesota 52

Kirk Cousins lead the Spartans like a man on a mission but the defense would not favor him today as they let Minnesota, the bottom feeder of the Big 10, slip by them and crush their bowl hopes. In another blow to their already deflated egos, MSU lost Caper for two weeks. Baker stepped in nicely, contributing with a score of his own. State was down 17-7 at one point and made a crazy 21 point 3rd quarter to get the lead before half but Minnesota was once again able to take a 10 point lead the Spartans could never overcome. Especially the crazy run game of the Gophers, Bennett had 26 rushes for 235 yds and 2 TDs.

MSU is now 3-7 and play the Boilermakers next.

Notable Stats

K. Cousins 24/42 380 yds, 5 TD, 0 INT

E. Baker 11 Att, 56 yds, 1 TD

C. Gantt 6 Rec, 91 yds, 2 TD

BJ Cunningham 3 Rec, 82 yds, 1 TD

Wire Highlights:

1) Cousins TD pass to Gantt
    2) Cousins 2nd TD pass to Gantt
    3) Baker runs one in
    4) Dell makes tight TD catch
    5) Cousins heaves a long TD to a WIIIIDE open Cunningham

10. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Jeeez. That's tough. I feel pretty lucky that I played them when we were still adjusting stuff. I feel lucky having the record I do at all.

No worries though, you are pulling in great recruits.

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

Michigan State wins final game of 2010 season

Michigan State 48

Penn St 31

Evan Royster and the Nittany Lions jumped out to an early lead over Michigan State, leading Coach Masler to the thoughts of "here we go again." But after a scoreless first quarter the Spartan Offense became unstoppable. Cousins was completing passes left and right while Caper was finding all the holes. Michigan State's defense could not stop Royster (200+ rushing yards) as he was a major pain in the arse all damn day but that didn't stop Greg Jones from roughing him up a bit. The fourth quarter got interesting as Penn State would pull within a TD but Chris Rucker would record his 6th INT of the year, allowing Michigan State to drain the clock and let Caper run in one more TD to put the game out of reach for sure.

And so MSU ends this terrible season on a high note with high hopes of next season. Coach Masler held a short press conference following the game:

"I know my first season with Michigan State hasn't been pretty, but several games where lost by a TD or less. We have the potential but failed to execute this season. Our wins this season were big ones though..defeating Wisconsin, Iowa and Penn State. I promise next season will be much more entertaining as well as challenging, since we are losing key players on both offense and defense. See you all next season.."

Box Score

Penn St 10 7 7 7 31
    MSU 0 21 14 13 48

Notable Stats

K. Cousins 19/37, 271 yds, 2 TD

L. Caper 25 Att, 179 yds, 3 TD

M. Dell 2 Rec, 60 yds, TD

G. Jones 11 Tackles (9 solo, 2 assisted), 2 TFL

Defense would have: 2 FF, 1 INT and a sack.

Highlights on Wire

1) Very physical TD by Caper
    2) Greg Jones stuffs Royster in the backfield on 4th down
    3) The screen lures the defense as Cousins hits Dell for a TD
    4) Greg Jones punishes Royster again
    5) Rucker picks off Newsome

12. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Just dont slap yourself during the press conference and you'll keep your job.