2010 National Champions: Texas Longhorns

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by vBIG SLICKv, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

2010 National Champions: Texas Longhorns

Texas 41
    Penn State 17

The saying is "that defenses' win championships" and The Longhorn defense stepped up and to prove that correct. The Longhorn defense has played with a bend but don't break mentality all year which has had them ranked at the bottom in the NCAA. Texas was able to corral Penn State's Royster for 144 yrds with 78 of those yards coming on a 2nd qtr burst up the left side for a TD. Texas RB Whittaker put the offense on his back rushing for 168yrds and 4 TDs.

Texas was able to strike first by driving down the field to come away with a 51yrd FG. On PSU's next possesion PSU QB Newsome was hit as he was throwing and DT Randell picked it out of the air and rumbled for 67yrds for the td to take a 10 pt lead after 1 qtr.
    Texas struck first again in the 2nd qtr with a 52yrd FG but Penn State and Royster answered right back with their first play on the next possesion when Royster took it up the left side for a 78 yrd TD. After a couple of punts by both teams Texas was able to drive down and Whittaker punched it in from 3yrds out to go up 20 to 7 with only :26 secs left in the half. PSU wanted to score before half to try and grab some of the momentum back. PSU Newsome came out slinging and drove the Nittany Lions down the field to setup a 44yrd FG to go into half. Texas 20 PSU 10
    The third qtr turned into a defensive battled with both teams struggling to move the ball. The defenses settled into their game plans and knew what the other were trying to do. Texas' offense was unable to capitalize on a couple of PSU interceptions and missed two long FGs. With 1:30 remaining in the 3rd Texas was finally able to break into the endzone with a 14yrd rush from Whittaker for the only score by either team in the 3rd. Texas 27 PSU 10
    Penn State and Coach Hokie would not go away quietly nor did Texas really think they would. Penn State hit pay dirt first in the begining of the 4th on a 2 yrd dive by Royster to pull with in 10pts with 7:57 left in the game. PSU would hold Texas to a punt and get the ball back. With the Texas D holding Royster in check for the most part Newsome started going to the air and Texas grabbed a couple more int's and turn them into TDs on 43 yrd and 20 yrd runs by Whittaker. This put Texas up 41-17 with 4:35 minutes left in the game. Texas was able to get the ball back and run the clock out for the victory.
    It was a great game by Hokie. He had great sportsmanship the entire game.

STATS

TEX: QB Gilbert 13-20 235yrds 0td 0int
    PSU: QB Newsome 11-26 202yrds 0td 5ints

TEX: RB Whittaker 26cars 168yrds 4tds
    PSU: RB Royster 15cars 144yrds 2tds

TEX: WR White 5recs 145yrds
    PSU: WR Kenney 4recs 74yrds

[​IMG]

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

congrats brotha slick!

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Well done slick. That's solid defense.

Of course, keenum would have shredded you, so there.;)

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Dru pulls out the Boise State and Utah card :)

5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

well done slick. I knew when we had our week 1 shootout where you went up and down the field on me that you were going to go far. Was a fun shootout even in the loss so congrats on a great season and a National Championship.

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the congrats. I feel good to have won the National Championship in my first year in this league. You are a great bunch of guys and I enjoy this league.

Dru, Keenum would have been running for his life with the mass of blitz's I would have been sending your offensive lineman. lol !

7. Dru50

Twist thought the same thing, plus I had my 1 QB, 1HB, 9 WR 'oopty-oop' offense ready to unleash on some unsuspecting opponent if I magically made it into the title game.

But seriously, congrats again slick.

Anyone want to volunteer to pick an early favorite for the 2011 title?

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Penn State

9. Dru50

He will definitely have his chance for revenge. Texas vs psu will happen week 2 2011- book it.

10. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Congrats Slick! and great season Hokie!!

11. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Oklahoma is gonna be a beast! Calhoun will double Murrays output and run over everyone.

12. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Congrats - could this be the start of a dynasty?