2010 Position Changes

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

2010 Position Changes

I know this is early, but I thought I'd post the ones I know about so far.

1. I'll likely move a SO WR -> HB. I did this in my offline and I will likely do the same here if he transfers the same.

2. I recruited a TE with the sole intent of moving him to FB. If it's not my recruit, it'll be one of my other TEs going -> FB.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I don't see a problem with either of those moves.

I will probably be moving O-Line to different O-Line positions, and the JUCO DT will MOST likely go to DE or OLB... or maybe stay as DT... IF I can ink him.

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Do we have set limits on who can move where, etc.?

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Some changes are illegal always... like WR to TE, HB to DE, and other illogical moves. If it is realistic, then it is usually okay. I am not sure if there are concrete rules, but we are prettymuch identical to the TF dynasty rules for position changes.

5. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Okay, just curious...

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah Im recruiting a C SPD guard who will have to be moved to fullback, since I have none. Also I may need to move an OLB to MLB just to stop any walk ons.

7. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

If you guys knew you didn't have any fullbacks, why didn't you just recruit some fullbacks? Maybe because the fullbacks out there aren't as good as the guy you now "have" to switch? I'm not a big fan of position-switching at all, it makes a lot of recruiting a little bit pointless - why bother competing for that rare good FB when there are tons of HBs I can just switch?

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I am going to move a HB to FB, but he will be like a 45 overall. I am hoping by his SR year he will be usable. But I run the flex.:)

Most of the HB's suck if you convert them to FB.

9. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I agree with you Raz. I see moving an OL down the line to another OL position but I am against moving speedy LB and Lineman to other positions like TE or FB

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I see both sides of the argument. OLB to MLB, G to C, FS to SS, and moves like that are absolutely fine. WR to HB last year would have been questionable, but I don't know if it's makes a big difference this year since speed is toned down.

Regarding FB's. I was one of the lucky ones to sign one of only 2 FB's that were 3* or better. If the game doesn't give us better FB's, using TE's there might be our only option. I'm not crazy about it since I would have rather signed a much better TE and converted him than the #500+ FB I signed, but we might end up taking the FB out of the game if we all have to rely on 1 and 2*'s.

11. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, I agree...I had to take a 1* FB so I could fill a spot...I noticed Basis did the same.

12. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

The FB I took was player #2020...1* kid...But, I still think we should use what we're dealt. Just b/c we're all having to use 3* or less FB's is no reason to eliminate them and let us all convert another position player to FB such as TE. I figured the E League would be sim in this matter. This is a bit disturbing, mainly out of theory b/c with the toned down speed I doubt much of this hurts but it may be an advantage in blocking, which could be huge.

My stance: I don't like it...

13. jello1717

I went on the assumption that TE <-> FB would be fine since they had the same requirements for position changes in the TF list (which I think was also originally in our league description):

Position Changes

Pos Notes
    QB: QB Only
    RB: No Restrictions
    FB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
    WR: No restrictions
    TE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    OL: No restrictions
    DT: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 265 lbs
    DE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 225 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 90
    OLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 210 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 92
    MLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 215 lbs
    Speed restriction < 92
    DB: No restrictions

It doesn't make any sense to me to take some 1* FB when you could get a 3* or 4* TE that can do the same job. Going from HB <-> FB seem perfectly logical to me (Michigan's FB Grady was a HB for 3 years before this one) but it's harder to find HBs that meet the requirements above and HBs usually suck royal ass in this game when you switch them to FB.

So, all of my position changes that I planned were based on the rules that I posted above (which again, I think was in our league description originally before AG had to remove it to make the post short enough). If this isn't the case, then were is the list of acceptable position changes?

14. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I agree kids get moved in College Football all the time. It happened when I played, guys would make the switch to get on the field. You go where the depth charts fits you best to try and get on the grid.

Not alot of G's make that swap due to size n speed, I suppose it could happen.

Most common is LB to FB and then mix in some TE to FB or LB.

15. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

What it all boils down too is the rules at the start, can change them mid stream.

16. jello1717

I thought I'd also explain my WR -> HB move. This is purely for P.T. reasons. It's not to get a burner in the backfield. He (currently) has 92 speed and I know a lot of you have HBs faster than that.

What it boils down to is I want to take an 82 WR that's 7th on the depth chart and turn him into an 84 HB (that's what happened in my offline dynasty) that'd put him 2nd on the depth chart.

17. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think these are case by case alot of the time.

We should post our intentions and see what everyone thinks.

I personally am fine with Jello's scenario. Why keep a playmaker buried when he has other options. Just like I would be fine with AG moving Saine to WR.

18. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'll go along with whatever the rules are, I just like to recruit guys to fill the position I recruited them for...I know position changes happen in real life but I'm just one who thinks if you can recruit to fill a slot, you do that rather than take some other guy who's not playing and put him in where it's convenient for you.

That's just me...I'll be playing my 1* FB who is the 2020th player in this class when his time comes up to play rather than moving a TE or HB to that slot. Personal preference I guess.

19. Razcalking1978

To me there's a big difference between trying someone out a new position in their senior/junior year and specifically recruiting a TE to move to FB. If we allow that switch, why would anyone bother recruiting at FB again - there will always be way better TEs avaliable.

This might just be my fault for not trying to work the system - if I need an OLB, I recruit OLBs, even if they only ones that want to come to my school are 3-stars. Ditto for every position. I don't look at Gs or Ts if I need a C.

The being said, I recruited two top-notch TEs this year - if this flies, one of them is moving to FB for sure.

20. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Same here on all points made...

21. jello1717

For me, I know that there weren't any 3* or 2* FBs that were interested in my school (probably because I'm a spread school) and I don't think there was even 1 1* FB that was interested. I also recruit guys for the positions that I need, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the position they kid played in HS. Even if there were a 1* FB interested in me, I can't see the logic in signing him when a 3* TE that's converted to FB would be better.

In my offline experiments before we started this OD, I never found an athlete that could play FB. I've also found very, very few even mediocre FBs. For those of you that are lucky enough to get a good FB, that's great as he'll be better than a TE turned into FB (they seem to lose around 10 OVR points when making the switch). Since (for me at least) a TE's job is to block and a FB's job is to block, they truly are interchangeable and I can't imagine why one would choose a 1* FB over a 3* TE that will probably be better at the FB position.

22. Razcalking1978

There are tons of plays out there where the FB acts as a receiver - like every play action pass out of the I-form. The TE turned FB would have a huge advantage there.

23. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

+1......

24. jello1717

Again, I'm speaking about my personal situation, but I don't have any I-forms (or any formations under center for that matter). Also, my FB only caught 5 passes for me all of last season.

Column 1
    Player POS REC YDS AVG TD LONG RAC AVG RAC DROPS
    Martavious Odoms WR 31 535 17.3 3 38 185 6.0 3
    Darryl Stonum WR 30 619 20.6 7 40 187 6.2 7
    Kevin Koger TE 15 201 13.4 1 37 51 3.4 5
    Je Ron Stokes WR 14 279 19.9 2 49 95 6.8 2
    Greg Mathews WR 13 232 17.8 1 78 71 5.5 1
    Junior Hemingway WR 13 192 14.8 4 67 81 6.2 0
    Martell Webb TE 5 40 8.0 0 12 17 3.4 1
    Mark Moundros FB 5 40 8.0 0 17 29 5.8 2
    LaTerryal Savoy WR 4 51 12.8 0 20 20 5.0 1
    Brandon Minor HB 4 27 6.8 0 13 20 5.0 1
    Terrance Robinson WR 2 19 9.5 0 10 18 9.0 0
    Roy Roundtree WR 1 11 11.0 0 11 0 0.0 1
    Brandon Moore TE 1 -4 -4.0 0 0 0 0.0 0

And it's not like I had a crappy FB or anything. He started the season off as an 85 OVR. It's just like I said. For me, my FBs are blockers. My only FB had 10 carries and 5 receptions for me through 13 games last year.

25. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I appreciate all the info. you bring to a debate Jello, but you're offense probably isn't the kind of offense that could really take advantage of this...I mean, it could, but for a team that throws more or who would like to throw more, then moving a TE to FB would be an advantage as would moving a RB to FB (mostly).

I'm hoping and assuming all of us wouldn't make moves like this for any real advantage...I'm sure all will say it's not any real advantage. If that's the case, then why do it?

I think we mainly have 2 different camps here...The "it happens in real life" camp and the "just recruit for what you'll need" camp. I'm the latter.

I'll stick with what I want to do and will just go ahead and beat you "position changing" guys while my 1*, 2020th ranked FB scores the winning TD. Ha...