2010 Potential Changes

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

2010 Potential Changes

I've been thinking about the overall structure of the OFFL, and I have a few ideas for what we might want to do when the next game drops. Thought I'd toss some out.

1. I think member games will be more fun if they are in conference more often. What if leagues one and two followed the OFFSL and went to three conferences each. We would still have a few big non-con games, but the real meat of the schedule would happen a few weeks into the season. This could build up the suspense a bit. Dashing championship hopes in week one is a bit depressing. Here's how I see the breakdown:

League One - Big Ten, Pac Ten, Big East (maybe Big 12) - (It's not the most powerful three, but the big rivalries are there. ND would be allowed here also.

League Two - SEC, ACC, Big 12 (maybe Big East) This is the real powerhouse, but to preserve the Florida triangle and the regional games, this is probably a good setup.

OFFSL - present setup works, I think.

Just an idea at the moment. What do you guys think?

AG

2. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

i was actually thinking about this recently also. i like the idea of having teams from just three conferences. i think it would make match-ups a little more interesting. i also would not mind going to just two conferences or maybe even one. i think one conference would really be interesting.

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I think the way you've got it set up there is good. I'd like to keep Notre Dame in the 2nd league as well (my only chance to play as them), but I understand the whole point is to not have duplicate teams. Still, it would be tough to lose them.

The three leagues would compliment each other nicely this way, and you'd get to see all the major teams if you played in both (or all three).

All in all, a great way to set things up headed into the future.

And I realize it's a ways off into the future, but we'd have to think of a well-thought out way for people to pick teams. If a team is in both leagues at the present, it might be tough trying to figure out who "keeps" them.

EDIT: Also, not sure how attached PK55 is to Cal...

4. Razcalking1978

Answered my own question on the drive home. It would only be fair to offer the choices in the order of who's been in the league the longest.

So I would lose Notre Dame. I could handle that... if I get Pitt. :D

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

This all depends on which league is supposed to be the premier league of the OFFL, no? I could be missing the boat here totally, which would not shock me. If this were the case, league 2 should be league 1, and vice-versa, since league 2 has the best conferences in football (debatable, especially for the big 10 guys).

I am cool with any layout, though -- this is a great place to play. However, if we move to something like this, I might think about a team switch.

6. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

The BIG EAST should be with the SEC, and ACC and the Big 10 should be with the Big 12 and PAC 10.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think that between league one and league two, the level of competition is pretty even, so all we would really be doing is spreading people out and putting them in charge of the teams they really want to play - without suffering all the logistical scheduling nightmares of playing teams in all the major conferences.

We could even rename them OFFL North and South, or some other non-ranking term. 1 and 2 imply levels, like A, AA, and AAA baseball. North and South, or AFC and NFC, for example, do not do this.

See where I'm going with this?

AG

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We could even have a championship game - but it would have to be with default rosters online, unless EA lets us take our squads online. That would be sweet.

Anyway, in a long term perspective, I would like to see us grow in a one coach, one team kind of format when the next game comes out. As we add leagues, we extend out until all the teams have coaches. This might be difficult, but I think it would add drama to coaching changes. We could interview candidates for open spots when they come up, and give the OFFL a kind of large scale common ground, even though each league would have their own individual stuff going on.

I think it would be cool to have A coach at OSU, A coach at Miami, and so on, right down to the Sun Belt. Plus, one coach, one team gives more guys a chance to play, and gives us more time to post here and keep the content rolling. Imagine a hundred and something guys all playing in the OFFL at the same time, each with their own unique squad. If things go like they apeear to be going, this is a real possibility.

That's my vision at the moment. New guys fill in holes after current guys get a chance to fill vacancies, and we keep right on rolling. It would add coaching changes to the league drama, which would be a cool element.

Thoughts?

AG

9. Razcalking1978

It's a neat idea - one coach a team.

But while the USC coach will get to go to a bowl game every year, the North Texas coach might never get to.

It will be very tough to find players who are willing to only control a non-BCS team, I think. I mean, I love them, I commish them, but I'd drop them if I had to choose only one team.

That being said, I'd certainly be willing to only coach one BCS team and really invest my time in them.

What if each person could coach one BCS team and one non-BCS team?

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I like your thinking AG, however expansion needs to be kept within reason otherwise order will be impossible. The theory sounds great and is exciting, for sure, and some sort of expansion would be nice.

We should maybe think about having an OFFL 1 vs. TF 1 championship, OFFL 2 vs. TF 2, etc., just for kicks.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You're right. However, we are going to be very popular very soon. New guys work in at the bottom, and those who play, post, get involved, and so on, get first crack at upper level jobs.

Let's say we boot a guy from league one (hope it never happens) or someone just can't continue, for whatever reason. We go outside the BCS to find a new coach. If the North Texas guy plays well, and gets involved, he is considered the "top guy" for the job, and he gets the offer. He can play in that big bowl game, but first he has to get the big time job. We have already proven ourselves, and are therefore the established, big time coaches.

It's a system that rewards good play, good sportsmanship, and active involvement. Guys can get "fired" for not doing these things, also. Just like a real job search, we promote from within, (taking recommendations from league members, of course) and then back-fill the non-BCS job with first-time coaches. The cream rises to the main OFFL leagues, but only if movement occurs in the coaching ranks. It's a true seeder function.

It's just an idea at the moment, but an interesting one. Our jobs, of course, would be secure, and we would decide amongst ourselves who will take what job when the game starts. Once we have our initial picks, we go outside for the rest. Once the three leagues are filled, we expand if and when the guys to do so become available, and if we feel like expanding. It may never get beyond the MWC, WAC, and C-USA, but if it does, we'll have a system.

These are my thoughts. What are yours?

AG

12. Razcalking1978

Again, great, exciting ideas here. Being that invested in one team could be great fun.

What about the commishes? A guy would have to commit to being in a non-BCS if he was going to commish that league (I think commishes have to have a team, don't they?)

So unless we want rookie commishes all the time, someone would have to be willing to be the Sun Belt commish and not have that chance of running a BCS team.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

True, but that would be the trade-off. Better site access, being in on the decisions made league-wide, these are not small things. Hopefully, we find real fans or hometown guys who want non-BCS teams. You're right, though, seeder league commisshes would not be mobile, at least not outside their conference setup. That would be a downside.

AG

14. Razcalking1978

Soooo... too early to start organizing this? :)

I'm a bit obsessive; I love planning this kind of stuff. Started a dodgeball intramural league at my school today just for kicks. Found them logos, made a round-robin schedule.

I can envision filling all of the BCS conferences in our first year, maybe a non-BCS if someone is truly passionate about a home team. Exciting stuff.

Only downside I can see is that if you end up in different conferences, you'd never play the other guys that have been around here forever. So Archie Griffin as OSU might never again play Juggernautblitz as Georgia. But that's true of anyway you might try to organize multiple leagues.

15. ko deadeye

ko deadeye Walk On

Wow, a ton of great ideas here! I love the leveling up system as that would be huge perks for people wanting to get in the league.
    I am hoping that when 2010 comes out they take some advice and add a choice of a playoff system instead of the traditional BCS that is in place. This would have allowed FSU Daddy amp a possible shot at a championship in season 1 and more user games with bigger rewards.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is another downside. Although, I wouldn't mind if I never played Basis again. Too stressful. :)

I think the site stuff is going to be big when the next game comes out. One team - one coach will give us the time to post here and really track what's going on. Plus, there would be a kind of continuity in the OFFL as a whole. I'm growing fonder of the idea as I think about it.

As far as organizing, I think we should start with the conference breakdown. Look at the major bowl games, and ask yourself which three conference setup gives us the greatest opportunity for end-of-year member bowl games? Next, which setup gives us the most out of conference rivalry games? ACC SEC is a must (UF, Miami, FSU - UGA, GT for example). Big Ten Pac Ten (&ND) is traditional, (Rose Bowl, ND-USC, ND plays a ton of Big Ten schools, etc) The argument seems to lie in which league would take the Big East, and which would take the Big 12. What is the argument for one or the other? We have to keep recruting rivalries in mind as well.

See if that keeps you busy. :cool:

AG

17. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I'll go where I need to go, long as my Noles go with me!

18. Razcalking1978

Alright - Big East analysis - here we go.

Rivalries - ooc rivalries are Miami (ACC), Kentucky (SEC) and Penn State (Big 10)

Geography - I'm no expert, but they seem closest to the Big 10 and the ACC.

There are actually no rivalry ties between the PAC-10 and the Big 10. Notre Dame has rivalries in each, but that's it. In-game, Notre Dame has rivalries with 2 PAC-10 teams, 1 ACC team and 1 Big 10 team.

So if SEC-ACC is a must, the Big East should go with them. They get more of their rivalries, and it makes some sense geographically.

That would leave the Big 10, Big 12 and PAC-10, along with Notre Dame.

Sort of divides it along East/West lines, at least as good as a 2-way split is going to get.

Now, if you were to split it up into 3 dynasties, it could be:

ACC and SEC (OFFL-South)
    Big Ten and Big East (OFFL-North)
    PAC-10 and Big 12 (OFFL-West)

And the Notre Dame user could decide on West or North (likely North). This setup makes a lot more sense to me personally, but not sure if it's viable. I would think that we could get enough users, but I don't know if people want to play that many user games.

19. Razcalking1978

Did a quick analysis of the Big10PAC10Big12 / ACCSECBigEast split today using the default rosters.

They are creepily balanced - both have an average OV of 82.09. Really. 34 teams in the first including ND, 32 in the second.

Not quite as close in the 3-way split - range from 20-24 teams, average OV 81.5-83.2.

20. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I agree with Razcal.

SEC/ACC/Big East
    Big 10/Big 12/Pac-10

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Looks like a good mix. How do the bowl games shake out? Which setup gives us the best (likely) end of year scenarios?

22. Razcalking1978

In the big bowls as they were played this year:

Rose Bowl – PAC-10 vs Big Ten – will always be covered
    Orange Bowl – always has ACC champ
    Sugar Bowl – always has SEC champ
    Fiesta Bowl - always has Big 12 champ

Big East champion takes one of the spots at large... very hard to predict these things unless I'm missing something.

The Rose Bowl will always be user vs user, and is the only predictable one.

So the OFFL-West will likely always have the Rose and Fiesta as user vs user, while the OFFL-East will have the Orange and Sugar.

23. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

sounds good to me

24. Razcalking1978

So one of the steps along the way would be figuring out the original members of OFFL and OFFL2 (Over 30 Club), and then who joined after that.

I think that would be the fairest way of figuring out team-picking order.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The original OFFL guys are - me, AMP, Blitz, & Dat.

Then came JC, reagle, ko, PK ... not really sure of the order ... basis, nic, lawdog, and then raz.

After those first four, I wouldn't know how to order the rest. But we have tons of time to sort out conferences, teams, etc. I know Dat will want ND, AMP will stick with his 'Noles, I will take my Buckeyes, but Blitz might want a change.

2 west, 1 east, and one guys who gets his choice before we move on. After that, let the melee begin.

AG