2010 Virginia Tech Hokies

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NoleNBlue, Jul 16, 2010.

1. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

2010 Virginia Tech Hokies

#5 Boise State-10
    #7 VT-42

Nobody told the Broncos that sitting around with 5 DB's the whole game isn't going to stop the rushing attack of the Hokies. I threw one pass the entire game, as there wasn't a need to throw any more. Ryan Williams had 17 rushes for 228 yds and 3 TD's, Darren Evans had 10 rushes for 107 yds and 2 TD's and Tyrod Taylor had 50 yds rushing and a TD. Defensively, Boise moved the ball fairly well but either missed kicks or went for it in situations where they shouldn't have and got stopped. I'm really excited to play with this team because they have all the tools to run the ball on anyone. Now I just have to see if the defense holds up (my DB's were kind of a question mark) and if Tyrod can actually throw.

2. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

#12 USC-21
    #5 VT-14

The Trojans did something not many teams can do, upset the Hokies in Lane Stadium. CJ Gable lead the way with 155 yds rushing and 2 TD's, including the game winning 63 yard scamper with under 2:00 to play. Tyrod Taylor had 2 TD passes but spent most of the game on his back, getting sacked 4 times, including on the final offensive play as Coach PipeHitter furiously mashed X to get rid of the ball. Ryan Williams had a paltry 64 yards rushing, with 46 of those on one option run. He spent most of the second half injured and on the bench. Both teams combined for 6 dropped INT's that I counted.

Take notice if USC's on your schedule: Their defensive ends are FAAAAAAST. They cut off cutback lanes and can get to the outside faster than my RB's could.

3. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

#11 VT-10
    #1 OSU-17

A defensive battle was decided when the dagger was called back because of a clip. I was up 10-3 late and broke an option inside with Tyrod Taylor for a long TD run, only problem was Logan Thomas decided he wanted to clip on that one. AWAY FROM THE PLAY. Ugh. Tyrod then remembered he's not a good passer and threw 3 int's. OSU's defensive line was stout, holding Ryan Williams to 54 yds on the ground, though he did have my only TD.

4. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

#15 VT-35
    BC-7

Tyrod Taylor won this with his arm and his feet, eluding pressure and making throws on the run. Ryan Williams had 110 yds and 2 TD's as the Hokies got back in the winning spirit in Chestnut Hill. This game would've been a lot closer but Little Flutie dropped 2 passes in the endzone, both on 4th downs.

5. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

#15 VT-42
    NCSU-17

Tyrod Taylor was perfect in every aspect, not because he's that good, but because he was throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers all game. The 'Pack played at least 9 in the box to shut down the run and failed miserably. TT was 11-12 for 232 yds passing and 2 TD's and added another 83 yds rushing with a score. Ryan Williams had 147 yds and a 39 yard TD run of his own. The Hokie defense was stifling all day and recovered 2 'Pack fumbles.

6. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

Duke-21
    #15 VT-49

A rowdy Homecoming crowd of over 66,000 watched as the Blue Devils kept this one close in the first half, only to be dominated by 2nd half adjustments. With the Hokies up 21-7, the Blue Devils score a touchdown with :04 to go in the half to pull within a score. Jarrett Boykin was having none of that and took the kickoff from 2 yards deep in the endzone to 2 yards deep in the other endzone for a 102 yards KO return. It was all downhill for Duke in the second half, with Ryan Williams and Darren Evans both eclipsing the century mark and combining for 5 TD's.

7. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

#4 GT-7
    #13 VT-27

Virginia Tech took control of the Big Boy Division by absolutely shutting down the fleXbox One attack of the Yellow Jackets. Hokie defenders were flying to the ball and wrapping up tackles while holding GT to a paltry 110 yds rushing on 34 carries. "We all knew what the outcome would be if we could get an early lead and force a couple three and outs" said Virginia Beach's Nick Dew after the game. As a true freshman, Dew has logged substantial time on special teams and has firmly supplanted himself as the nickel back and is in the 2 deep rotation at every backfield position.

Tyrod Taylor was pedestrian in his effort, going 7-13 for 139 yds but hooked up with TE Logan Thomas for a gorgeous 66 yd TD that saw both GT safeties get turned around. That was Thomas' only catch, however, he was 2-2 passing himself out of the Wild Turkey formation.

Ryan Williams was solid, as always, gaining 107 yds and scoring once. He did, however, knock 3 different GT defenders out of the game with his Christian Okoye power. He has already been spotted at TOTS (Top of the Stairs) buying shots for some of Blacksburg's "finer" talent.

8. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

Battle for the Commonwealth
    UVA-31
    #21 VT-38

Blizzard conditions in the 'Burg made for one helluva shootout in this one. Add to that my starting corners both getting hurt on the first drive of the game and we had a fireworks show. Tyrod Taylor made his last game against the 'Hoos count, tossing 3 TD passes. Ryan Williams had 128 yds rushing and Logan Thomas tossed a gorgeous TD pass out of the Wild Turkey formation after a Houdini-esque play fake.

Looks like I may miss out on the Championship Game to GT based on overall record, even though we have identical 7-1 ACC records, with their 1 being at the hands of me in a game that I dominated to a point that all of the GT coaches wives went home with me.