2010 (Year 1) Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

2010 (Year 1) Power Rankings

This is being done based only on the team itself, not the person running the team.

1. [​IMG]

The defending national champs come back loaded this year including reigning Hesiman winner Mark Ingram, one of the best WR's in the country in Julio Jones and QB Greg McElroy comes back with another year of experience under his belt. They do draw a loaded Florida team once in the regular season, and will probably have to beat them twice to get back to the title game.

2. [​IMG]

The Buckeyes are #2 on this list but very well may be the best team in the country right out of the gate. Terrelle Pryor is poised for a breakout season after a convincing win in the Rose Bowl over Oregon last year. This team is loaded at all positions including the 1-2 punch of Brandon Saine and Boom Herron at RB.

3. [​IMG]

Even after losing All World DT Suh to the draft last year the Cornhuskers may have the best defense they've had since the glory days of the late 80's /early 90's in 2010. The offense comes back mostly intact. Expect big things from SR QB Zach Lee and SR HB Roy Helu Jr.

4. [​IMG]

Florida lost a ton of talent after last year including arguably the best college football player ever in Timothy Richard Tebow (good riddance) but Urban Meyer has this program loaded with talent from top to bottom so don't expect a huge drop off in production. There are question marks at several positions but expect this team to be nasty. They do have the same problem as Alabama though as they would need to beat the Tide twice and survive a meat grinder schedule to make a National Championship appearance this year.

5. [​IMG]

Even though they lose Jeremiah Masoli at QB after an eventful offseason the Oregon Ducks should be even better in 2010 than they were in 2009. They will be strong at just about every position and on paper very well may be the best team lb for lb in the PAC 10. I give them a slight edge over USC, even though the QB position will be a major question mark.

6. [​IMG]

In the real world USC is toast...but fortunately for Twist it won't be that way in the game. USC has a ton of young talent including SO. QB Matt Barkley and a stable of young and deadly RB's...not to mention a loaded defense. They play Oregon at home and the PAC 10 although improved isn't necessarily daunting. USC could have a huge first season.

7. [​IMG]

Texas has a few question marks as well after losing Colt McCoy and their top WR Jordan Shipley but the defense is loaded, and I mean LOADED with young talent. They are going to be explosive and nasty, however they have to go to Lincoln and play a legitimate title contender in OU in Dallas. They will also need one of their RB's to step up big time this year to take pressure off Garret Gilbert in order to be a title contender.

8. [​IMG]

The Hokies come into this season as a serious national title contender. The defense and special teams are the hallmark of the team as usual but this team will only go as far as Tyrod Taylor, Darren Evans and Ryan Williams will take them. The three of them combined might be the most explosive backfield in the country.

9. [​IMG]

Notre Dame comes off of a disappointing 2009 campaign but should rebound nicely in 2010. QB Dayne Crist has to step in to replace Jimmy Claussen but has been impressive in spring ball and this team returns alot of talent including WR Michael Floyd. This team under achieved last year but could very easily top double digit wins for the first time in quite some time.

10. [​IMG]

The defense was dismal last year but it is a young defense and won't be that bad again this year, that I can guarantee. Christian Ponder could be a dark horse heisman candidate. The schedule is viscious including games v. OU, Miami, N.C., Clemson, and Florida, not to mention a possible ACC title game.

11. [​IMG]

West Virginia is a sneaky team. They are going to start the season right around #25 but have a good defense, and an explosive offense with RB Noel Devine ready to break out this year. They do play some tough games including Pitt and LSU on the road, and a conference game vs. Notre Dame but they could easily win the Big East and play in a BCS game.

12. [​IMG]

Michigan will need to play much better in conference play this year to make it to a bowl game. The Big 10 is much improved this year so it will be tough sledding. A OOC game vs. Notre Dame will loom large for the Wolverines early. The 1-2 combo of Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier could be dynamic in Rich Rodriguez's offense with a year of experience under them.

Ok this is where the rankings will start when the season starts, and I'll update every 2-3 weeks.

Feel free to post comments, questions, one liners, or commentary regarding these rankings! :D

2. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Nice job. This is getting me psyched for us to start back up again. I'm gonna have to kick some ass recruiting the first couple years. I'm starting pretty far behind the top few teams talent wise, plus West Virginia doesn't exactly pump out high quality recruits every year.

It'll be interesting to see who the new guys select. The Pac-10 has several good choices like Washington, Stanford, Oregon. Same with the ACC, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, and UNC are all really good. Only shitty part for whoever takes that ACC spot....they get to play Noles every year.

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

An excellent read, did some research too. Nicely done

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Nice work on rankings. I am looking forward to taking down overrated Alabama twice this season.

5. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

After the first 2 seasons you're gonna wish that I would have jumped to the Pac-10.

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

After the first 2 seasons you are going to wish that you jumped to the Sun Belt.

7. BDSDIGITAL

No problem guys. I'm looking forward to contributing something like this that is kinda my stronger suite. I think if I was jumping to the Pac 10 I would take Stanford. They are going to be strong this year.

8. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Papa may have the most stacked team but he won't have Hail Mary Marshall to bomb to 20 times a game. Oh yeah, you'll have Julio Jones.
    Good stuff on the rankings.

9. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I won't really need Marshall since I won't have such a depleted backfield. When me and you played I was down to my bottom 3 HBs and the better of them had a 65 stamina rating. Not only that but when playing against a 4-2-5 that primarily uses zone coverage, the deep ball is the best option.

10. astealthyhippo

I thought this would be interesting to post. I found it in the preliminary team ratings thread. Not sure if these will be the exact ratings in the retail version though.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    School Overall Offense Defense Prestige
    #1 Alabama 99 99 99 6-star
    #2 Ohio State 96 97 95 6-star
    #3 Texas 93 94 92 6-star
    #6 Florida 92 92 92 6-star
    #9 Nebraska 90 92 90 5-star
    #13 USC 92 94 91 6-star
    #21 Florida State 89 93 85 5-star
    West Virginia 89 92 88 5-star
    Michigan 87 89 86 6-star
    Notre Dame 86 90 85 6-star

11. BDSDIGITAL

That is interesting. I went with how good they were going to be in real life assuming it would be fairly close in the game, and I guess it was. I think Notre Dame will be better than EA and there were a few other anomalies here and there. But that being said, I have Texas rated like 7th out of 11 but they are without a doubt a top 10 caliber team and a serious national title contender.

First post updated with Oregon coming in at #5.

12. BDSDIGITAL

First post updated with the enigma which is North Carolina football starting at #8.

13. astealthyhippo

Very nicely done, and good reaction time to Emmdot's selection. Did you have a write up ready for each team in the ACC? hahaha

14. BDSDIGITAL

I know my stuff when it comes to these teams....I did have to look up the stats, but as far as the players and the general base of the team that is all off the top right there.... :D

and to boot with UNC specifically I probably lost about $100 on them and their no offense having asses last season. Specifically the FSU game. Fuckers.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I think I'll be lucky to win one user game with Oregon since they have no QB. Played a few games with them and I'm starting to think I should've have picked a team with a more conventional offense.

16. BDSDIGITAL

Nate Costa is no good? I don't have any clue where they would have rated him, but he would be the best bet I would think for a more "conventional" type offense over Darron Thomas.

17. astealthyhippo

wildcat every play?...

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah Costa has a 90/85 arm and Thomas is fast but can't throw. I wanted to run some spread option but I suck at it.

19. BDSDIGITAL

updated with VTech weighing in at 8th as well. Sorry I'm not a believer.

20. KnightNoles

+1 I agree, I do like the backfield but I also would take FSUs backs also! (y)

21. BDSDIGITAL

I think Tyrod Taylor is going to be the death of them. Just my opinion.

Boise St is going to light them up, just watch.

22. KnightNoles

Brian.... This should get interesting after next week!

23. BDSDIGITAL

I'll keep an eye on it.

24. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

You can go ahead and reserve a spot for Michigan at the bottom of the list.

25. BDSDIGITAL

I'll have this updated after this week's games. Noles, could you sticky this for me?