2011 Army Black Knights

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigBodySS, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

OOF! It didn't even dawn on me that we were supposed to be posting game recaps!

Well, I'm in the middle of two straight BYE weeks. I'll start posting right after my next game.

2. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

RynoAid - My offense is putrid. They can't score even when I force a TO and put them on the goal line. The biggest reason for that is b/c my FB, the best player on my team, goes totally underutilized (about 6 carries a game) while my 69 OVR WB gets around 20. With that in mind would it be ok if I moved my FB to my WB spot to get him more carries? I'll put him back at FB for user games but I'd just like him at WB because he doesn't get the ball enough when the CPU runs my offense.

I'll be updating my game result from Vandy either tonight or tomorrow along with the Recruiting Spotlight

3. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

Chage Is Gonna Come...

It might seem weird to talk about lineup and even complete scheme changes after a 61-14 beat down of an Opponent but that's exactly what Army Head Coach Rich Ellerson discussed in his most recent interview.

"We won, yeah, but it was how we won. The 61 points were in large part due to two defensive touchdowns and two long break away runs by our quarterback (Trent Steelman), neither of those things can be counted on every week. Then throw in the fact that it was against an FCS team (FCS East) and you can see why it's not as impressive to me as you guys think it is."

Coach Ellerson does bring up a valid point seeing as how the Black Knights are only one week removed from a 42-7 blow out at the hands of one of the worst BCS teams in the country, the Vanderbilt Commodores. In that game Steelman wasn't quite as impressive going 9/24 with an INT and also losing a fumble. Outside of the turnovers he was simply ineffective only running for 16 yards on 6 carries in the run-heavy triple option offense that Army runs.

Ellerson said there would definitely be changes, "We've got to sit down this week and figure out how we can make Trent Steelman and Jared Hassin, our two best players, better. That's on us, we need to put them in a position to succeed and we haven't done that well enough."

It appears that Army may move away from the triple option offense in an effort to get more production from impact player FB Jared Hassin. He's been woefully underutilized and the struggles of the offense only serve to underscore that point.

The exact move isn't known yet but Coach Ellerson has an idea, "We'll probably look to go to a more pro-style offense while keeping it run heavy, maybe even sliding Jared to tailback more. Trent's not a guy you want throwing it up 30-40 times a game but if he puts in the air 20 times and we can get a heavy dose of the run I think we'll be more effective."

Hassin has been great when given the ball but getting the ball has been the biggest problem this year. Coach Ellerson finished up, "Bottom line is we have to get Coach Smelan (The Black Knights talented Defensive Coordinator) some help, he has his guys go out there and stand on their head and our offense ends up giving up 14-21 points via turnover. Nobody will last long around here with that type of performance."

Army is 3-4 and will travel to play at Air Force in the first of their two annual Service Academy match-ups. The other will come in the last game of the year at the annual Army/Navy game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

RynoAid Is it possible to get 12 games next year? I checked and The Richuation, Dammit Bobby (GT, not sure TSO ID) and I were only given 11 games. Not a huge deal but I had 2 byes right in the middle of the year which are prime visit times for recruits and it's also one less game to get coaching stats and possibly a W under our belt.

Thanks!

5. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Yes, 12 would be nice next year. Although being a defensive coordinator with yard against the most important metric, I guess 11 will do this year. Haha.

6. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

yeah what am I talking about, 11 games is one less game I get taken behind the wood shed

7. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

Commander-In-Chief Tropy resides in West Point!​

I returned out of town yesterday afternoon (monday) pleasantly surprised that the week hadn't been advanced so I could play my rivalry game which was on the road against Air Force.

The game started out as a defensive battle as the score at the end of the first quarter was 7-6 (after my kicker shanked an extra point). We would trade scores (me getting FG's) for a bit with Air Force taking an 18-12 lead into the 4th quarter.

This is when my defense finally responded. A pick and return setup a first-and-goal on the 3 which my offense was able to punch in for a 19-18 lead. Another 3-and-out on defense gave my offense great field position once again (at my 45 or so) and they were able get the go ahead score for a 25-18 lead (ANOTHER missed extra point).

My defense would make one more stand to seal the victory.

My LDE, can't remember his name but he's a freshman, was DOMINANT. He had 4 sacks in this game alone and is now at 11.5 on the season. I've got a 3-star DE coming in next year (I'll get into him more in the Recruiting Spotlight this week) that should pair with him to make a great combo.

My QB Trent Steelman actually looked competent running the new run-centric pro-style offense. He still threw two picks (including one at the goaline) but made a couple plays when really needed including one option keeper on 3rd-down to keep the final scoring drive going.

I was finally pleased with how Jarrad Hassin (Impact FB) was used getting like 24 carries and 140 yards. He was an animal and Air Force has no answer for him.

This was a huge victory for a number of reasons.

1 - Rivalry win
    2 - I beat a higher ranked team and the game pointed that out as a coaching goal I achieved
    3 - My 4th win (another coaching goal) that get's me to 4-4 on the season. I've got 3 games left and if I can win 2 of them I'll be bowl eligible. One is against Navy so that would be another rivalry win but I believe the other two are BCS teams (I know one is Rutgers, can't remember the other).

It won't be easy to get bowl eligible but it will be a hell of an accomplishment if I can get there. This season has been a lot of fun for me and I'm loving the Coach's Club.

• Like Like x 1