2011 Bowl Week 2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Jan 10, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2011 Bowl Week 2

We have advanced. Next advance will be:
    Wednesday 10pm EST

Weekly Polls
    3 UNC
    5 Tennessee
    6 Clemson
    7 UF
    9 Maryland
    13 Auburn
    16 FSU
    NR LSU, Alabama, Miami, FSU, UGA, VaTech

ESPN Headlines

Gameday at the Orange Bowl
    Lee, Kirk, and the guys will be in Miami to see #3 UNC hook up with #7 Tennessee.

This should be a really interesting game of conflicting styles. UNC brings a potent ground attack and a dominant TE. Tennessee brings BJ Coleman who has had one of the greatest years ever statistically. It'll be interesting to hear Killajo weigh in on this one.

Lee picks UNC
    Kirk picks Tennessee
    I'm picking Tennessee

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

BREAKING NEWS:

Auburn has fired their defensive coordinator and has begun the replacement process.

3. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

UNC coach:

I am online at the moment. sign on or let me know when you want to play (tenn vs unc.

4. GoGators

This is why we have a game scheduling thread.

5. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Tenn 56
    UNC 28

Tennessee:
    Coleman: 213 rating, 15/22, 301 yards, 2 TD
    Brown: 17 carries 166 yards 4 TD
    Evans: 5 rec, 126 yards, 2 TD

UNC:
    Paulus: 161 rating, 23/31, 275 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT
    Houston: 18 carries, 88 yards, TD
    Wilson: 7 rec, 87 yards

An Offensive struggle that only saw 1 punt by each team all game. Since most drives were converted into touchdowns, the keys to the game were clock management at the end of the first half and turnovers. The tarheels scored with 38 seconds left in the first half, which proved to be enough time for the Vols to complete 4 passes, use 3 timeouts and score a lucky TD. UNC had 3 turnovers and forced none, which was the deciding factor in a game with very little defense.

The game was closer than the score indicates. Tennessee benefited from a miraculous 28 yard TD pass with 12 seconds left in the first half. Trailing 35-14 at the half UNC came back strong in the second half. After cutting the lead to 14 points, UNC forced a 3 and out to get the ball back with 6 and a half minutes left in the game. This is when the wheels came off the tar-heels wagon. Paulus threw a Pick 6 in the flat to Star Tennessee CB Jackson. The next drive resulted in another Jackson interception on a deep pass down the sidelines. This was followed by Tenn RB Brown running over 3 consecutive defenders in route to a 72 yard TD run which sealed the victory at Tenn 56, UNC 28.

UNC ground attack was strong but trailing late in the game forced them out of their comfort zone. UNC RB Houston will not be denied his 4.5 yards per carry. Even when first contact is made behind the line of scrimmage, Houston still plows forward for a few yards. Only the biggest of hits will keep Houston from grinding out first downs. Tennessee was fortunate to be playing with a early lead.

Featured Highlights:
    Evans 44 yard Post-Flag route TD
    Coleman Threading a pass to Evans 3rd and long.
    Coleman hitting Evans on a 28 yard prayer in traffic to score with 12 seconds left in the half.
    Jackson pick 6
    Brown breaking arm tackles to seal the deal.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSkGVM2rXQM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSkGVM2rXQM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

(sorry about using the wrong thread for scheduling. I deleted the message so as not to clutter up the Bowl week 2 thread.)

6. GoGators

Wow, what happened to the ACC Champs???

7. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Great now we have a whole off-season to hear about how great the SEC is.

2012 predictions: ACC will hoist up BCS title, Heisman, and SE MVP trophies.

8. GoGators

This couldn't be further from the truth.

9. Hokie Effect

I can't gloat for more then 10 minutes before you gotta kick me down.

10. GoGators

Hahaha, sorry. If you want your moment in the spotlight you're going to have to earn it.

11. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Oh, yea! GO ACC! I second that prediction!

12. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I think we should either...

1) Dedicate week 1 to only SEC vs. ACC matchups and declare a better conference...

or...

2)We keep track of all user vs. user games where SEC is playing some ACC team and total the records to declare a winner.

Put your money where your mouth is. Our champs vs. your chumps.

13. Hokie Effect

I was going to suggest the same thing for next years as well.

ACC vs SEC challenge during week 2, (week 1 is your tune up cupcake game)

And base the matchups on the season before standings. ACC #1 vs SEC #1 and so on.

14. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I like Hokies idea....

15. Hokie Effect

Music City Bowl
    Va Tech vs Arkansas
    W29-28

Va Tech capped of their season with a narrow bowl victory over a very underated Razorback team. Ju Ju Clayton seemed to be showing off in front of the NFL scouts as he ponders the decision of forgoing his senior season. Clayton finished the game with 462yds 3 TD 2 INT. In Jarret Boykin's last game as a Hokie he hauled in 9 rec for 246yds and 3 TD. Boykin finished his career as the most prolofic reciever in school history capturing every major school record.

Virginia Tech held high hopes for the 2011 year, ranking as high as #2 but quickly fell off the map only to reagin some composure toward the end to salvage their season. This bowl victory will help the confidence amongst the staff and returning players. Virginia Tech will have to replace 10 starters from this years squad, but changes across the board are expected this off season. 2012 should be a new beginning for the Hokies.

16. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I think we should keep score of the SEC v. ACC games (and not base it on just 1 week) and see how the 2 conferences do against each other.

Oh yeah.

And the Heels went 2-1 against the SEC this year.

17. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

6 Clemson - 48
    8 Texas A&M - 27

Clemson earned its first major bowl berth since 1982 and made it count against the Big XII champion Texas A&M Aggies. In the first quarter, Clemson played poorly on both sides of the ball and trailed the Aggies 13-7. If not for a Coty Sensabaugh interception return for a TD and a missed extra point by Texas A&M, Clemson would have opened the game trailing 14-0. Things got worse before they got better, as All-American Jamie Harper ended his college career with a fractured elbow in the 1st quarter. Although the injury was devastating to Harper, doctors expect he will only be shelved for 8 weeks and should be at full strength for the NFL combine. With Harper's injury, the door was opened for Andre Ellington to establish himself on the national stage. Ellington had a huge game and was the difference maker for the Tigers, rushing for 179 yards and a score on a workman-like 29 carries. Willy Korn, in his last game as a Tiger, was 12 of 20 for 192 yards with 2 TDs and 2 interceptions. Bryce McNeal led the Tigers with 137 yards receiving and a score.

Despite the injury to Harper, the Tigers go into the offseason on a high note. And with Kyle Parker, Bryce McNeal, and Andre Ellington leading the Clemson offense, expectations will be high in Tiger Nation next year.

Stats - Clemson

Willy Korn - 12/20 - 192 Yards - 2/2
    Kyle Parker - 5/6 - 73 Yards - 2/0
    Andre Ellington - 29 Attempts - 179 Yards - 1 TD
    Jaime Harper - 9 Attempts - 53 Yards
    Bryce McNeal - 7 Receptions - 137 Yards - 1 TD
    Marquan Jones - 5 Receptions - 64 Yards - 2 TD
    Coty Sensabaugh - 1 Interception Returned for TD

18. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

I gotta slow down the ACC they seem to be on a roll to start the Bowl season

Maryland be ready be some pressuer on this game

19. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Lets go Terps!

20. GoGators

Come on Georgia!!! (I can't believe I actually said that)

21. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I'll say it. I don't give a damn…

22. LeGeNd RiPs

I gotta go with the terps, not just cause i play with them! I can't belive i'm rooting against Georgia! Thats my team, too bad they're gonna lose to maryland....

23. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

I think your forgetting Maryland blowwwwwwwwwwwwws

24. LeGeNd RiPs

Well, good thing they have an AMMMAAZZZZINNNNGGG coach!

25. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

At work now, so I'll try to recount what happened in this game from memory and I'll need to check on the final score.

LSU wins Independence Bowl vs. a UFC team with a great rushing attack and a good record.

LSU was up 24-7 at the half. My inability to rush with my running backs on standard non-option plays and Shepard's continued accuracy problems allowed UCF back into the game.

LSU needed Shepard to rush for over 200 yards in order to just stay in the game, by the end. Most of these came in the first half on plays where the linemen got threw and pressured the QB. Receivers were being covered well, leaving me to scrammble for my life.