2011: Duke Blue Devils - Air Renfree

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by PSUEagle, Jul 14, 2011.

1. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

2011 Duke Blue Devils Preview

When Duke hired former Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe as head coach in 2008, the Blue Devils gained instant credibility in the ACC. The Devils had just snagged a man who was responsible for developing both Peyton and Eli Manning, as well as coaxing a productive season out of Erik Ainge in 2007.

Unfortunately, Cutcliffe's hiring came with a caution: the former Ole Miss HC has long been beset with heart problems, making him liable to retire at any time.

2011 became that time, forcing Duke to begin an immediate search for his replacement. After several fruitless weeks, the Blue Devils found their man: PSUEagle, a recent Penn State graduate with a reputation for throwing the ball and making stars out of his passers.

The new HC inherits a fine quarterback in Jr. Sean Renfree, a 6'5" passer out of Florence, AZ, along with two quality wideouts in Connor Vernon and Donovan Varner.

Defensively, the unit is led by Jr. FS Matt Daniels and R-So. CB Ross Cockrell as Duke begins their transition towards a 3-4 scheme.

Offense Preview:

Playbook: Penn State (May change if Custom PB bug is fixed)

The Blue Devils will transition away from the spread offense they ran under Cutcliffe to an NFL style attack under PSUEagle. The Blue Devils will employ a system that utilizes multiple formations and personnel groupings that will focus on attacking the intermediate areas in the passing game.

While the Devils will still use the shotgun, the unit will spend the majority of their time working under center. In particular, PSUEagle plans to employ a fullback far more often than his predecessor in both the run and pass game.

"We're asking Sean [Renfree] to work with his hands underneath the center more than he has in the past," said PSUEagle. " He needs to tighten up his footwork in the five step game, as well as work on his ball fakes a little bit."

"We'll definitely put him in the gun at times and employ the screen game, draws, all that stuff, but we believe in being multiple as a staff, so that means we're going to work in some I Formation, some double tight end, some spread. We'll do a little bit of everything."

Key Players:

Jr. QB Sean Renfree
    Sr. WR Conner Vernon
    Jr. WR Donovan Varner
    Jr. HB Desmond Scott
    So. RT Perry Simmons

Defense Preview:

Playbook: 3-4

Duke struggled defensively under Cutcliffe, never ranking higher than #90 in total defense over a three year span.

The new coaching staff looks to correct that by installing a 3-4 scheme that will emphasize zone pass coverage. Expect Sr. FS Matt Daniels to lead the charge, patrolling the deep middle looking for post routes.

"We'll be a coverage based defense," said PSUEagle. "We ain't gonna be crazy with the blitz: we'll focus on making the offense earn every yard they get, tackling, and making sure we play sound coverage."

"We'll install some man to man, blitzes, but we're gonna be a zone team, Cover 2, Cover 3, Quarter/Quarter-Half."

Key Players:

Sr. FS Matt Daniels
    So. Ross Cocktrell
    Sr. DT Charlie Hatcher
    Sr. SS Lee Butler

Recruiting Summary:

TBA

2. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Duke 28 - Rice 0

Houston, Texas - It was billed as the "Battle of the Brainiacs."

It turned into a battle of brawn.

Duke dispatched fellow academic powerhouse Rice, 28-0, behind 162 yards rushing (27 attempts) from Jr. HB Desmond Scott, helping to spur a successful debut for new Head Coach PSUEagle.

While the Penn State grad was hired due to his reputation for crafting explosive passing attacks, it was running and defense that defined this victory.

Jr. QB Sean Renfree was solid (23/29 243 Yards) in his role as caretaker, expertly handing the ball to Scott while executing in the short passing game.

"With Sean, it's a process," said PSUEagle. "You're talking about a young man who doesn't have much experience working with his hands underneath the center, so it was good to see him manage the game, not force any balls."

"We'll evaluate the tape, maybe make a couple changes offensively. I haven't quite decided what exactly we'll do, but we'll get it figured out."

The Blue Devils new 3-4 defense, meanwhile, intercepted Rice twice while shutting out the high power Owls offense.

"Coach played a lot more zone defense than we're used to," said So. CB Garrett Patterson. "I read my keys on defense and was fortunate to make some plays."

3. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Cool. I was trying to give you a tougher opponent but it just didnt work out that way.

4. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Duke 24 - #17 Arkansas 14

Durham, North Carolina - A beautiful win for Duke.

An ugly game for everyone else.

Unranked Duke moved to 2-0 on the season with a 24-14 triumph over the seventeenth ranked Razor backs of Arkansas behind a dominant defensive effort.

The Blue Devils' defense intercepted Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson four times, with CB Ross XXXXXXXXX running back two for scores to help pace the Devils.

Good thing, because Duke's offense was ugly. QB Sean Renfree tossed five interceptions, with Arkansas returning one of them for a score in the first quarter.

It didn't matter in the end, though, because Duke's defense did not allow a single score until Arkansas penetrated the end zone with the Devils ahead in the fourth quarter, 21-7.

Duke proceeded to run down most of the clock and tacked on a FG at the end to account for all of the game's points.

"That was an ugly win," said Duke coach PSUEagle. "But you know what? We'll take it."

"We need to figure out what we're gonna do on offense real quick, or we may not win another game. I was really pleased how we played on defense against an elite offense, but we gotta figure out the other side of the ball right quick."

5. Nyydus

Nyydus Walk On

That CB is Ross Cockrell. Just FYI.

6. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Yeah, I know. I'm just going to keep his name edited because he's made a shitload of plays and bailed out my crappy play-calling the first couple weeks.

I'm superstitious;)

7. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Duke 35 - Notre Dame 13

Durham, North Carolina - The name of the game for Duke during the first two games of the season was defense.

This time the Blue Devils' win over Notre Dame was all about Sean Renfree.

The junior QB finally had the performance Duke fans expected all year, throwing for 3 TD's and 251 yards in a near flawless performance.

The Arizona native was sensational early on in the first half, leading the Devils to touchdowns on all three of their possessions. In particular, his nineteen yard jaunt into the end zone to put Duke up, 21-3, was a pure beauty.

The second half started roughly, with Renfree throwing a pick six right out of the locker room. He would recover, though, leading Duke on two more marches for scores.

"I felt like Sean really displayed a better command of our system," said PSUEagle. "We're still working on what he's good at, what he's not good at."

"We hit a rough patch to start the second half, but we battled through it and fought. Our defense continues to play well, so it's good to see all that film study for Sean pay off. We've got a huge game coming up next week against our rivals from Maryland, and we're gonna need him to be sharp as a tack to even have a chance."

8. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

#11 Maryland 23 - Duke 6

Durham, North Carolina - Maryland's players were too big, too fast, and too well coached to lose to the underdog Blue Devils.

The Terrapins overwhelmed Duke behind the dominant running of the diminutive Davin Meggett. Sean Renfree played well, but at least seven of his twenty three passes were dropped, leading to the disappointing loss.

"Our kids played hard, but we were outcoached in this one. Point blank," said PSUEagle. "Credit to coach Twister18 and his staff for a tremendous gameplan. We couldn't do what we wanted on offense, and defensively they ran the ball down our throats."

"Hats off. They'll be a handful for every team on their schedule going forward."

9. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

#21 Nebraska 38 - Duke 28

Lincoln, Nebraska - Fuck Nebraska.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Wins against Arkansas and Notre Dame is pretty impressive considering the roster talent on Duke.

11. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

This made me laugh out loud. Best game write-up ever.