2011 Fiesta Bowl Preview

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Dru50, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

2011 Fiesta Bowl Preview

This years Fiesta Bowl is a showcase of the new direction of college football, with two historically poor programs having tremendous resurgences meeting up in one of the biggest bowl matchups of the year.

Both teams are playing in their 2nd consecutive BCS bowl games, and each has won their conference in the past two years (K-State winning the Big 12 this year and Miss St winning the SEC last year and losing by 3 in the SEC title game this year).

Let's take a look at the matchups:

Miss St Offense vs K-State Defense - The Bulldogs have been one of the surprise offenses of the 2nd half of the year, putting up nearly 40 points per game, using an equal blend of running and passing out of their spread attack. On paper, this matchup seems to favor the Bulldogs, as the 3 and 4 WR sets would force K-State to put multiple CB's on the field and take one or more of their 4 senior LB's out. The Miss St offensive line should be able to move the ball running vs a smaller and less talented K-State defensive line, but I'm sure Texas thought the same thing going into the Big 12 title game, and we saw how that went. Advantage - Miss St.

K-State Offense vs Miss St Defense - The Wildcats have a fairly balanced attack led by QB Collin Klein and a diverse passing game. The key here will be if K-State can run the ball successfully and then go to their passing game via play action or deep throws against the Bulldogs run defense, and whether the Bulldog LB's and S's can slow down freshman phenom TE Darren Crowder. Don't let his 62 OVR rating fool you, as he has hauled in 15 TD's on the season. The Miss St defense has been strong vs the run all year, and the front 7 has been able to make plays when needed, however the pass defense has been problematic. Advantage - K-State.

User Skills - Dru has the abilities of a geriatric on the sticks, as evidenced by my ridiculously low turnovers on defense (I think Sanders had more user picks in the SEC title game than I've had in 2 seasons), and I'm sure that JR is light years ahead of me in this area. Advantage - K-State.

Prediction - I think this is going to be an offensive showcase, with K-State winning in the end due to user generated turnovers (which I've been able to overcome 2 out of 3 user games this year, so I'm due for it to cost me another one). K-State 35, Miss St 31.

Good luck in the game JR, should be fun either way.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I really think this is a very interesting match-up. Both teams have A LOT of weapons.

Whoever shows up on defense will win this one.