2011 Kentucky Preview & Recruiting

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kasper, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

2011 Kentucky Preview & Recruiting

2011 Kentucky Wildcat Football Preview

[​IMG]

The 2011 Kentucky football team goes into the season with big expectations. Finishing last year at #25, Head Coach Joker Phillips has stated that "this is our year." Returning 17 starters from last years 9-4 team, there is reason for many Wildcat fans to beleive the hype. The schedule is tough this year with back-to-back-to-back road trips to Georgia, South Carolina and LSU; UK will get Ole Miss and Florida at home, though.

Offense

This year's Wildcat offense will have a lot of familiar faces. Senior QB Morgan Newton will continue his starting roll after taking over midseason in 2010. Newton threw for 1949 yards and 15 TD's in limited action. More importantly the Lawrence, Indiana native threw only 4 interceptions. Do-it-all man Randall Cobb returns for a senior campaign but will spend the majority of his time at running back. Cobb will still see time split out at WR, though, said Coach Phillips. Junior wide out Larod King will step into the light on the outside. The 6'4 Fort Knox, KY native posted 5TD's in limited time last season. Senior Gene McCaskill will hold down the other receiver position. The tight end positoin will be manned by Sophomore Alex Smith who is looking to have a promising Kentucky career. The rest of the offense is roudned out by an offensive line that returns all 5 starters. LT Billy Joe Murphy, LG Trevino Woods, C Matt Smith, RG Stuart Hines, and RT Jake Lanefski will be the core of the Wildcat's offense.

[​IMG]
    Senior Randall Cobb will spark the 2011 offense.

Defense

The Wildcat defense looks to be good one, as they return 9 starters. The D will be led by All-SEC linebacker Danny Trevathan, who tallied 69 tackles, 21 TFL, 3 INT's and 1 FF & FR in 2010. Trevathan is the unquestioned leader for this years unit, and will be called upon in big time situations all year. The 6'1 223 pound Coconut Creek, FL product will have NFL eyes on him all year. Leading the defensive line into this year will be left end Taylor Wyndham. The senior notched 4 sacks last year. The linebackers are returning 3 starters, though Qua Huzzie has done enough this year to overcome last years starter at LOLB Ryan Mosby. Huzzie, Trevathan, and senior Ronnie Sneed will be the starters for this years version of the defense. The secondary also returns a lot of experience. Seniors Randall Burden (CB), Guy Winston (FS), and Josh Gibbs (SS) all return after starting last years campaign. Sophomore cornerback Martavious Neloms also returns; Neloms was the nickel corner on last years squad.

[​IMG]
    Senior Danny Trevathan leads a solid defense into 2011.

Expectations

Overall, this years unit is expected to contend for a SEC title, anything else would be a considered a bust in Lexington. Though many fans are hoping for such a season, many fans would just like to see a 10 win campaign out of the Wildcats. If they can get through the 3 week road trip in the early part of the season still perfect and can top the Gators at home, expect big things.​

2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Sounds like you have a solid team coming back. I have a feeling Cobb is going to be a monster at halfback.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I put him in the backfield a few times last year, honestly the time will probably be 50/50 between WR and RB.. just easier to sub him to WR from HB then the other way.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

2011 Kentucky Recruiting

[​IMG]

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Name Position Height Weight Caliber Hometown
    Eddie Morris WR (#12) 6'4 180 :4stars: Glenview, IL
    Jeremy Mack SS (#23) 6'2 172 :3stars: Villa Hills, KY
    Lionel Bell MLB (#28) 6'1 199 :3stars: Campbellsville, KY
    Willie Hall G (#26) 6'6 301 :3stars: Mount Sterling, KY

21 Seniors, 66 total players
    21+4+1=26 available scholarships (limit of 25 schollies a year)
    0/25 scholarships used.​

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Wildcats gain 2 commits right out of the gate; :4stars: WR Eddie Morris and :3stars: Jeremy Mack.

Morris, a 6'4 180 lb receiver from Glenview, IL, is the 12th ranked wideout in the 2011 class. Possessing a good mix of speed and acceleration, this wideout compliments those abilities with a knack for jumping and coming down with some spectacular catches. Eddie will have a chance to crack the lineup as a freshman, according to Coach Phillips.

Jeremy Mack is the first of, hopefully, many DB commits to Kentucky. Head coach Joker Phillips stated in numerous preseason booster meetings that they will have an emphasis on recruiting defense this season, especially the secondary. Mack has a good build at 6'2 172 pounds, and room to add some weight. A great tackler and the ability to make a hard hit are qualities that could have Mack fighting for time right off the bat. Mack is also the first in state pickup for Kentucky. All-in-all Jeremy is a great pickup for the Wildcats, and will find his way onto the field one way or another.

6. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Jesus TK, you signed somebody that was on my board before I even had a chance to talk to him! I guess its good that I didn't put any time into him yet... lol.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Which one?

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Mack. I think I have another one targeted though, so hopefully I can manage to get him lol.

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I think I have 2 more targeted haha.

Btw, don't try to steal any recruits out of my Bluegrass State. ;)

10. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Don't worry none of them want to come to Maryland anyway :p

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'll show em why tomarrow.

just kidding im not that seroius

12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Wildcats pick up two instate commits: :3stars: 's Willie Hall (G) and Lionel Bell (MLB)