2011: Maryland Terrapins: Turtle Soup!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Twister18, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

This is where I will put my previews and playbooks and game summaries.

2. Twister18

Season 2011 Maryland Terrapins preview: [​IMG]

The 2011 football season looks bright for new coach Twist as he leads a young and promising Maryland Terrapins team to an ACC championship. "We have a lot of talent in this group, but we have to get them accustomed to the Twist way of doing things. I want hard tough and smart play! I want snot bubbles coming from the noses of QBs and RBs stupid enough to cross the LOS!!! (We had to pause a moment as Coach Twist was given oxygen after his tirade. ) Lets first look at our offense:

[​IMG]

The Offense will be led by Sophomore Danny Obrien who had an amazing year last season. He is backed up by fellow soph CJ Brown and Freshman Troy Jones.

Running Backs: Senior HB David Meggett will lead a double headed attack with DJ Adams to pummel the defense into submission. FB Rahsaan Moore is a 245 battering ram to open holes for the HBs.

Recievers: The Terps have 3 quality WRs in JR Kevin Dorsey, JR Kerry Boykins, and SR Ronnie Tyler. The TE will be JR Matt Furstenburg and when 2 TE sets call for, Devonte Campbell will come in.

OLine: The OL may be a concern, with having only 1 SR starting on the Line, LG Andrew Gonnels. There will be 1 JR and 3 Sophs filling out the rotation.

[​IMG]

The Defense will be solid and will be led by Butkus award candidate Kenny Tate, who is the son of office LB Terry Tate!

The DLine will be very young and will be led by DT Joe Vellano. Andre Monroe will anchor the other DT position and the DEs are still up for grabs. This will be a question mark this season.

The LBs will be the strength of the defense. Kenny Tate will anchor the SLB spot as well as Demetrius Hartsfield handling the MLB and Darin Drakeford will handle the WLB duties.

The Secondary will be solid even though experience might hurt. The CB spots will be manned by SO Dexter McDougle and SR Cam Chism while the deep patrol will be JR Eric Franklin and Matt Robinson.

Special Teams should be solid with K Nick Ferrara likely doing double duty and handling the P and K chores. Adams and HB Wilson will handle most of the return duties.

Well there is a look at the team but it could look different at the end of the year. Going to be fun!!

3. Twister18

Maryland: 10 seniors +1 + 2 (68 on roster) = 13

Offense: FAU
    Defense: Multiple

4. Twister18

Game 1:

Maryland: 31
    #14 TCU: 23

The Terrapins came out guns blazing being the underdogs to the upstart Horny Toads of TCU. "We knew we had to establish the run game to set up the pass, " replied Coach Twist in the post game interview. "We felt we could run right up the gut after studying film of the Rose Bowl and the mistakes the Badgers made in that game (Sorry Cole)."

The Terrapins used HB David Meggett to pound the Frogs into submission, carrying the ball 32 times for 150 yards but it was reserve HB DJ Adams that scampered 29 yards after a great downfield block from a WR to give the Terps the 7-0 lead that was never relinquished. QB Dan O'Brien had a very solid game, attempting 11 passes and completing 6 for 139 yards and 2 TDs, including the backbreaker to TE Matt Furstenburg:

The Terps Defense was led by DE Isaiah Ross, who had 3 tackles and 3 sacks.

Offensive POW: HB Dave Meggett
    Defensive POW: DE Isaiah Ross

5. Twister18

Week 4: Game 2

Maryland: 20
    WV: 19

Wow, this was a close game. The Terps pulled this one outta their butt with a FG from Nick Ferrara with the time expiring to gain the win.

OPOW: PK Nick Ferrara: 2 FGs and 2 XPs for 8 points including the clutch kick.
    DPOW: DE Isaiah Ross: 4 tackles

6. Twister18

Week 5: Game 3

Maryland: 23
    MSU: 9

The Terps really took it to the Spartans, featuring a ground attack led by Davin Meggett who had 15 carries for 146 yards and 1 TD. Backup Craig Adams also chipped in with 63 yards.

OPOW: Meggett
    DPOW: Darrin Drakeford OLB: 5 tackles 1 sack.

7. Twister18

Week 6:

Maryland: 23
    Duke: 6

Great game to play conversing with PSU on the game. It was just a matter of my OL and DL being more dominant than the Dokies so Renfree didn't have a chance to throw and Meggett had lanes a semi could drive through. I look forward to the remath next year as it will definitely be a tighter outcome or in favor of Duke as i lose several of my key players to graduation. :(

Key Stats:

QB Danny O'Brien 7/13 for 84 yards and 0 tds/ 0 ints.
    HB Davin Meggett 30 att 132 yards 2 TDs (OPOG)
    TE Matt Furstenburg 4 catches 65 yards 0 TDs

DT Joe Vellano 4 tackles 3 sacks (DPOG)
    DT AJ Francis 2 tackles 2 sacks

Duke:

QB Sean Renferee 10/23 141 yards 1 TD O int
    RB Desmond Scott 5 carries for 18 yards

8. Twister18

Week 7:

Maryland: 26
    Notre Dame: 24

The Terps scraped by with a narrow win led by QB Danny O'Brien completing 17/24 for 228 yards and RB Davin Meggett rushing for 129 yards and 1 td. The defense was led by Cam Chism who had 2 tackles and 1 iNT.

9. Twister18

Week 8:

This game was simmed so I only have a score:

Maryland: 38
    Clemson: 11

10. Twister18

Week 9:

Maryland: 19
    FSU: 14

QB Dan O'Brien imploded in this game by throwing 3 picks and RB DJ Adams came in and rushed for 70 yards after Davin Meggett got injured early in the game. The real story of the game was the Terps Defense, who forced QB EJ Manuel into 5 INTs, led by Cam Chism with 2. Kenny Tate, Matt Robinson and Trent Hughes also added a pick to control the Seminoles.

11. Twister18

Week 10:

Maryland: 24
    BC: 21

The Terps keep walking a very fine line by winning on a last second FG from Nick Ferrara. O'Brien had a very good day, going 15/27 for 230 yards and 2 tds. CB Cam Chism had a pick for the third straight game to lead the defense.

12. Twister18

Week 11:

Maryland: 3
    Virginia: 27

Great game played by Paxtin. This game, under blizzard conditions, was close until the Cavs exploded with 24 points in the second quarter. WR Kris Bard caught 3 passes for 74 yards and 2 tds to torch the secondary of the Terps, who moved much like their namesakes. O'Brien was 6/14 for 63 yards and 2 picks, while Meggett was held to 52 yards bu that stout virginia defense.

Great game Paxtin and hope to rematch next season.

13. Twister18

Week: 12

Maryland: 13
    UNC: 34

Total meltdown for the Terps. The first play of the game was a pick 6 by UNC CB Mywan Jackson. The Terps would come back with a FG and a pick 6 by CB Cam Chism. Then the wheels would fall off. O'Brien should have seen the bench after throwing another pick 6 to CB Gene Robinson but Coach Twist wanted to see how he handled the adversity. O'Brien ended the day with 9/19 for 133 yards and 4 INTS. Meggett would add 102 yards rushing but the UNC D was just too much to handle.