2011 Midseason Report

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Dec 9, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2011 Midseason Report

We've reached the midway point of the season, and so far it looks like the ACC may be the stronger conference. The SEC has 4 teams in the top 25 while the ACC has 5. The three left out in the cold are the university formerly known as da "U", Auburn, and Alabama.

[​IMG]

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Team Record Conf
    VaTech 4-0 3-0
    Clemson 6-0 4-0
    FSU 4-2 4-0
    Maryland 5-1 4-1
    Miami 2-3 2-1
    UNC 4-2 2-2

My how the strong have fallen. The Tarheels started the year as the poster child for the nation ascending the rankings to the top spot. Now they've fallen in conference play and probably have no shot at making the conference championship game.

Atlantic

Clemson and FSU are in a heated race for the division with Maryland close behind with only 1 loss. Clemson looks like the clear cut favorite in this division with a offense that can take flight at will and a lights out defense. A big victory over UNC has the Tigers riled up, but maybe UNC wasn't as strong a team as we once thought. The Tigers have tough conference games against VaTech and FSU in the next 4 weeks so there's still a long way to go.

Clemson has to be looking in it's rearview mirror at FSU though. FSU has a tough road ahead with games against Miami, Maryland, and a big showdown in week 12 at Clemson.

Maryland is also in striking distance. With the emergence of Davin Meggette, this Terps team is looking really strong. They lost to clemson earlier in the season, but only have FSU left on their schedule as a potential stumbling block in the ACC. If FSU and Clemson slip up, Maryland could run the table and sneak into the championship game.

Coastal

This division is a two horse race. With UNC already sporting 2 conference losses, it's between VaTech and Miami. This sets the stage for a huge showdown on October 29th when Miami travels to Blacksburg. Even if VaTech slips up against Clemson on October 15th, they will still control their own destiny since a win over Miami will give them the tie breaker.

Miami's schedule is much tougher. FSU, GT, UNC, VaTech in the next four weeks. I'm thinking that this conference already belongs to VaTech but who knows, anything can happen.

[​IMG]

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Team Rec Conf PF PA
    Florida 5-0 4-0 213 96
    Georgia 4-2 3-1 195 155
    Tennessee 4-1 2-1 206 118
    Auburn 4-1 2-1 246 150
    LSU 3-2 0-2 173 116
    Alabama 1-3 0-2 148 177

East

The Gators are out in front but a big game against Georgia is a potential stumbling block that could stop the Gators from getting back to Atlanta. The Gators will be hungry for revenge after their OT loss to UGA last year though. That loss ruined their season.

UGA controls their own destiny. With wins over UF and Auburn, they could get into the championship game. So long as Tennessee drops one somewhere.

Tennessee has big games against Bama and LSU ahead. A slip up in either of these games and they are bound for the Citrus Bowl.

West

Auburn is out in front and in full control. Their one loss is to UF, but thankfully the Gators have also knocked off LSU and Alabama. This puts Auburn way out in front as Bama and LSU both seek their first conference wins. Auburn still has to play LSU, UGA, and Bama though so there's plenty of room for them to slip up. If they do, and LSU or Bama can pull the upset, they would hold the tie breaker and would be able to punch their ticket to Atlanta.

This one's has way to much to still play out to call. Since I've played all teams already, I think LSU or Bama could make a late season rally and get to Atlanta and save their seasons.

2. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Awesome write ups Gator....but shouldn't you be on the practice field.

3. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Very solid season so far

Good to see Marlon Brown in the Heisman race but also nervous he's most likely gonna jump to the No Fun League

Yes I forgot Tennessee had the tiebreaker on me (Georgia) rooting for him to get a loss aha sorry whygodwhy1111.

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Anyone who thought UNC was that great clearly didn't read my season preview. My defense is atrocious (~ #117 in total defense and dead last @ #120 in passing defense) and I played what is easily the toughest 1st half of the season in the country. I played Georgia, VT, Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia Tech and 5 of my first 6 games were on the road (I'm actually 4-2, not 3-2). I'm ecstatic to be 4-2 after those 6 games with this team. Unfortunately, not only did it hurt the W/L columns, it really, really hurt on the recruiting path as I only had 1 home game to invite recruits to in the 1st 7 weeks (and it was a user game to boot).

Of my last 6 games, 5 are @ home (but of course it'll be too late to recruit any good players by now) and my only tough remaining game is Miami. I should definitely win 5 of my last 6 games.

5. GoGators

You listed 5 teams Jello. The game has you listed as 3-2, at least that's where my data came from. Unless I made a typo....

6. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

I kinda want Florida to win so the #1 OT in the nation doesn't make the mistake to go to VaTech and a loss helps that

But also want to see division rival Florida get a loss

So Win Win either way or Lose Lose if your a glass half empty kinda guy

7. jello1717

I didn't include NC State because I was showing how tough my schedule was. They almost beat me, but I'm 4-2.

WIN
    Bama
    Georgia
    GT
    NCSt

LOSS
    Clemson
    VT

8. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Damn that was a hard ass schedule to begin the year. All Lil Mags would have had to do to make it worse was throw Fla on the schedule as well.

9. jello1717

Yep! But now that my tough schedule is over (if I don't finish 5-1 I'll be very, very shocked) I can watch the rest of you guys start to knock each other off.

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Well eventhough my Seminoles already have two losses we are still undefeated in conference. If we can take care of business the rest of the way we can salvage the season. The road will be tough though as we face and unknown Miami user to go along with what appear to be two very skilled users at Maryland and Clemson.

11. GoGators

The VaTech game won't help you either way because it's non conference. It all comes down to the world's largest outdoor cocktail party in a couple weeks.

As crazy as the first half of the season has been, there's still a long ways to go with some big conference games coming up. Nobody is completely eliminated yet so it should make for some interesting trash talking in the coming weeks with championship dreams on the line.

12. jello1717

UNC begs to differ with that statement. We were eliminated when we lost our first ACC game to VT.