2011 Mountaineer Digest

Discussion in 'Overdrive' started by themidnightrider13, Dec 16, 2010.

1. themidnightrider13

themidnightrider13 Walk On

5-3 (3-1) Pitt came to West Virgina 71 (3-1)for the annual Backyard Brawl this week. And left WV looking like they got into a brawl with Chuck Liddell and Mike Tyson. WV landed the first 5 punches of the brawl which left the Panthers staggering but still on their feet. Pitt connected on a long bomb halfway thru the 2nd quarter and scored on a miracle fumble return as time expired in the half. Junior tailback Shawne Alston fumbled the ball while WV was just trying to run the clock out deep in their own territory. The Panthers went into the locker room at half down 21 but with all the momentum in their favor. WV defense would tighten up in the 3rd as they shut Pitt out and the offense was able to add a score of their own to put the lead back to 28. Sunseri, Pitts QB, would then channel the ghost of Marino as he lit the WV secondary up for over 200 yards of 4th quarter passing. But a costly pick 6 after getting the Panthers across midfield down then only 14 would seal the deal.

-the difference maker
    WV Junior ROLB Bruce Irvin, 2 long pick 6's, thats a 28 point swing. Which was the margin of victory. 56-28.

2. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

You are off and running... nice

3. themidnightrider13

The USF Bulls didn't come to play, but either did WV starting QB. Smith lost 4 fumbles and kept the Bulls in the game well into the third quarter in what would have been an early laugher. Smith did not play the 4th quarter due to a mysterious phantom "forearm" injury. Though Smith was never tended to at anytime by trainers on the sideline and was seen later carrying a very large duffel bag and suitcase seemingly pain free at the airport later that night. Coaches were mum on the status of Smiths availability for their next game. But the WV HeadCoach said "anyone who puts the ball on the ground 4 times in one college game oughtta where a skirt to class for a week. Maybe that would toughen them up a little bit"

4. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Yikes.... it's amazing you still won after all the turnovers... did you set your Big Runs to conservative?

5. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Yeah fumbling is whack. The biggest thing is not fighting for extra yardage unless you have too, and especially not doing it with anyone other than maybe a TE or RB. QB, PR, KR, and even WR's are usually begging to cough the ball up.

6. themidnightrider13

I'm used to using a pocket QB.... still trying to get the hang of WV's Spread Option offense and what I can and can't get away with while rushing with my QB. And the last fumble was with conservative on, but i was hit in the pocket.

7. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

The zone reads are tough, especially when keeping it.

8. themidnightrider13

WV @ CIN

wvu 3-17-3-13=36
    cin 0-7-0-11=18

OMVP WV RB Alston 26-170 1td DMVP WV FS Smith 92 yard int td

5 turnovers for the Bearcats was the real difference. The Bearcats put the ball on the ground 5 or 6 times in snowy Ohio conditions. WV was able to pounce on 3 of them. With conditions not really suited for WV's spread option attack, the Mountaineers played very conservative offense, especially once they were in FG range. HB Alston got the lions share of the work as WV only threw the ball 15 times the whole game. Short fields and handoffs led to 5 fg's and really forced the Bearcats to become one dimensional and pass probally more than the would have liked to in the snowy conditions. The Bearcats trailed 23-7 going into the 4th quarter. A critical pick 6 with under 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter inside the redzone killed the surging Bearcats momentum. If Cinci had scored and got the 2 pt conversion, they would of only been down 8 points with half a quarter of ball to play. (I didn't even have anything to do with it...lol...I got a little jittery and in the midst of calling my defensive adjustments, I took control of the cornerback on the far side of the play, and i guess i locked him too because i couldn't switch players during the play. and i also reversed the views, so i was completely freaking lost. So I watched from across the field as my db picked it off and then i followed him up the field on the return from the oppostie sideline kust watching and cheering, helpless to block or anything else.) Sometimes it's better to be lucky...then good :)

9. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Good win over a good squad.

10. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Wow... big win.

11. themidnightrider13

[​IMG] 0 21 10 14 45

[​IMG] 14 33 16 3 66

The first 5 possesions of the game for WV offense and defense sealed the deal. WV turned all of those possesions into TD's while the defense forced 5 straight 3 and outs for the Maryland offense. The combination of short fields and big plays left the Terps is a big hole early, 35-0. But somewhere in the 2nd quarter things began to click for the Terps. Maybe it was WV defense letting up on the throttle with the big lead or maybe it was some Maryland pride, but the Terrapins scored 3 td's of there own in little more than 2 minutes of play In what was the most exciting and prolific scoring quarters of collegiate football evere played. The second quarter saw 8 touchdowns from both sides as WV's offense also continued to roll through the Terps defense for 5 td's of there own. 54 total combined points were scored in the 2nd quarter alone. Both teams would continue their offensive dominance the rest of the game. But Maryland just could not close the 35 point gap that they spotted WV to start the game. The Mountaineers clinched the Big East last week with their big win over Cincinatti. Now they wait to see what BCS bowl they are invited to and who their opponent will be. Most likely WV will accept an Orange Bowl bowl invitation to play against the ACC champion, but should the ACC champ get an invite to the BCS Championship game, WV wouldll most likely face an at-large team.

12. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Nice finish to the season man

13. themidnightrider13

yeah, offensively it was. But I did give up 45. And anyway you cut it...that's not good. That 45 points allowed probally cost me two or three bcs spots. Which in the end could be the difference between bceoming a 6 star program and staying a 5 star program. Again it's a luxury, I know, to have this problem. But still can't help wondering where I woulda landed in the polls had I not let an unranked team roll up 45 on me.