2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA 2K' started by JFace907, May 28, 2011.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

This draft has been heavily criticized for not having any potential HOFers or superstars. The best two guys are likely Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams. Both have question marks over them (Irving his health and Williams on what position he will be in the Association). After that though i feel this draft is full of solid role players. Guys like the Morris twins, the two UGA forwards, a couple of the Euros, and others seem like guys who can find a niche in the league that will allow them to play for a long time.

The trade rumors swirling are outrageous. If my Cavs can pull off the rumored trade i'm gonna flip out. Irving and Williams both going to one team is a deadly combo.

This is the rumored trade:
    Pistons send Rip Hamilton and the 8th overall pick to Cleveland
    Cleveland would absorb part of Hamilton's contract with a trade exception they got in the S&T for LeBron and then buy out Rip's remaining contract leaving him to become a UFA
    Cavs would then send the 8th and 4th pick to Minnesota
    Minnesota would send the 2nd pick to the Cavaliers.

2. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

that sounds like a good move...but i think they would have to take one of those 2 and then take a chance on kanter. They need a good Center bad...with offensive skill..he has that..I think they would be better off with kanter and williams then irving and williams or irving and kanter because they have baron davis already along with boobie and sessions and they can get another great PG in the future. And mind you im a Duke fan and will be a kyrie irving fan...but i just feel like for the cavs...thats best situation. Id even take a shot at nolan smith or corey joseph in 2nd round really

3. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

If the Cavs can't pull this trade off i think the gameplan is then to target Irving and Kanter. The Cavs feel that Baron only has one or two more years left where he can be somewhat of a contributor. They also feel Sessions isn't the ball distributor that they are looking. With that, Irving is pretty much locked in as the number one overall pick. If they get Williams and he fails to convert to a 3, they will be forced to trade Anderson Varejao or JJ Hickson. Both have great trade value. The Cavs have a lot of roster questions to answer if we have a season next year. Having their undrafted free agents (Manny Harris and Samardo Samuels) step up like they did, it leaves them with 4 draft picks and not much room on the roster.

My prediciton:
    Cavs fail to pull this trade off, get Irving and Kanter in the draft.
    Sessions gets waived or bought out
    Harangody gets waived
    Alonzo Gee goes into free agency. Leaving the Cavs with a starting lineup of:
    PG Baron Davis (Irving getting big minutes behind him)
    SG Anthony Parker
    SF Christian Eyenga (Antawn Jamison getting minutes here)
    PF JJ Hickson (Antawn Jamison getting minutes here as well)
    C Anderson Varejao (Kanter getting minutes here)

4. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Ugh.. The T-Wolves always making others better and we'll always suck ass. Ricky Rubio can get the fuck out!! He'll suck also. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

For some reason i just don't see the Pistons THIS desperate to get rid of Rip's contract. So the T'Wolves 2nd pick may be safe. Then again, we've seen teams do a lot worse to shed payroll...

6. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

the way the t wolves draft they better hope that happens lol they dont need another busted draft like 2 yrs ago haha

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Two years ago? Talking about Rubio? I heard a few months ago that he was willing to go to Minnesota. Too bad he is not improving but then again I don't understand how his Euroleague stats warranted all the hype. Yeah he made plays but I could show a Steve Francis highlight video and have people thinking he was the greatest guard of all time.

8. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Rubio is garbage, sat on the bench in Europe and is a punk. Flynn > Rubio.

Also, if Cleveland thinks Derrick Williams can play the 3 in the NBA they need to check their brain. He is too slow, he needs to hit the weight room and play the 4. He will either be a very good PF or a very average SF.

9. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Its not just Cleveland. I think most teams that are considering picking him would rather him make the switch to 3. Especially considering the current state of their 4's. Cleveland has JJ Hickson, Utah has Paul Millsap, and the T'Wolves have Kevin Love. All 3 of these guys are too small to slide to center especially considering that 2 of them are almost too short to play the 4! The Cavs ran with JJ at the 5 a lot towards the end of the season but it wasn't something they are interested in doing long term. Whoever lands Derrick Williams in the top 3 will more than likely be shopping their current 4-man if he can't make the transition to a 3.

10. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

he will be a 3 in the lg...not really tall enough to be a big and he doesnt have a big mans game. Paul pierce is slow...so him bein at the 3 could work...he jus better hope his game translates in the nba or he will be overseas in 5 yrs.

as far as rubio...the euro lg/nba transition is odd...i remember when peja and turk got drafted by kings...they showed their stats over there and i was like wth! but when you draft overseas...you're drafting young talent whos played pro so they are mature...and the nba game is more open then overseas. i actually think rubio would come here and with the right team be a steve nash...but with the wrong team he could be a dud.

and as far as that minnesota draft 2 yrs ago...yeah...it was awful

you draft 2 pg's back to back...then a 3rd to trade...which i think lawson is better than the 2 of them....but to make things worse...u pass on steph curry whos better than all the above! terrible drafting!

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Paul Pierce is (maybe a better word would be was) also a scoring machine, and he is still a great athlete, just not elite quickness.

12. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Personally I think that the Cavs should try and package one of those 2 picks to make a run at Josh Smith from the Hawks. It's well known that Atlanta isn't going to be able to afford him due to the Joe Johnson contract, and in the NBA you can't win with a super young team. 2 rookies sounds nice, until you realize that those guys will get eaten alive for the first 2-3 years of their career and that kind of beating can damage a guy long term (look at any number of guys who were good prospects and went to the Clips to never be heard from again).

13. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I think the Cavs won't ask Irving and Williams (or Kanter) for that matter to play big minutes their first season because they have established guys in their system at their positions. Unless Baron Davis and Bryon Scott have another falling out, the Cavs are choosing him over Sessions to be a coach/mentor to Kyrie and then the Cavs are currently 4 deep in bigs that get heavy minutes (Varejao, Hickson, Samuels, Jamison). So with the drafting of Kanter they can let him sit the bench or even have him play overseas another year (he is definitely going back to Europe if there is no season).

Lets not forget that part of the reason why the Cavs can make this trade is because of the trade exemption they got with the S&T for LeBron. That TE alone can land them a good vet. If they package the 4th pick with that TE, i think the Cavs can land almost anyone that isn't a franchise player. The Cavs also have many players that are tradeable assets. Boobie Gibson, Antawn Jamison, JJ Hickson, Anthony Parker, and Anderson Varejao all have trade value. If the Cavs want to be active pre draft or on draft day, they can pull off almost anything they want...

14. Dru50

Good point on the trade exception, I had forgotten about that. I was just trying to say that having two top 5 picks sounds great in theory, until you consider that young players who aren't guys like Lebron/Melo tend to struggle early and putting the pressure of being the saviors of the Cavs (which is how you know ownership will sell them) may stunt their career growth.

Outside of guys like Dwight and Paul, I think Josh Smith is the biggest impact guy that may be available during the season. He showed in that Bulls series what kind of beast he can be down low if he can get on a team that will require him to post up more than the Hawks do.

15. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I do like Josh Smith. ALOT. But i think with as much as the Cavs have to offer, the Hawks will ask for ALL of it. The 4th pick, JJ Hickson, and maybe even another player or one of the Cavs upcoming draft picks. The were rumors going around that the Cavs were talking to the Grizz about Rudy Gay and i would have loved that trade. Unfortunately the Grizz are not trading Gay. The Cavs desperately need either a 2 or 3 (assuming Kyrie is a lock as the first pick) so i don't think Josh Smith will be on their radar.

16. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

well with the emergence of jeff teague....i think cavs would be smart to trade hickson and 4th pick for smith and hinrich....that works great for both teams...cavs get smith..a great pg for they team who can start or come of the bench...and hawks get a good fwd with less money needed and the 4th pick where they can get like brandon knight or vesely or another foreginer...but id say brandon knight goes good there or kemba walker altho i think hes a reach there.

17. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Teague's tricky. The Hawks could decline his option and make him a free agent heading into next season. Which if they want to keep Crawford they may have to do. He's played good enough ball that he's gonna ask for BIG money. Not max contract big, but definitely large cash. If they do work a trade out like that, the Hawks dump two big (or potentially big contracts) that would free up room for Teague's option and resigning Crawford. Unfortunately with the Cavs already having Baron, Sessions, and potentially Irving under contract for 2011, i just don't see them adding Hinrich.

18. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

If you guys think that whatever rookies the Cavs get aren't going to play big minutes you are insane.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

in that situation you wouldnt draft irving.. and you would probably give up sessions as well. Then you still have 3 pgs but hinrich will still be there when baron leaves. But if they did that...they would probably have to take Williams or Kanter

20. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

They would still draft Irving even if they did that trade. Media in Cleveland can't stop talking about how in love Dan Gilbert is with him. If the Cavs would seriously bank their point guard situation on Baron Davis and Kirk Hinrich splitting minutes, i may just lose all faith for the organization lol. Plus if they did draft Williams, they'd be stuck in the same situation in hoping he can convert to a 3 and if he can't then they have a guy to sit behind an established 4 (in this scenario Josh Smith). And i don't think the Cavs would turn around and trade Smith right after acquiring him. You can also bet the T-Wolves and Jazz will a damn Diddy level party if the Cavs drafted Kanter first leaving Irving and Williams to them.

21. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

When i say big minutes i mean 30 or more a game. The only way Irving i see Irving gettig that is if Baron gets hurt or if Byron Scott thinks an Irving/Baron as the 1 and 2 respectively is more effective than Baron/AP. The Cavs love having Baron Davis on the floor because he acts as a coach on the floor. He knows the ins and outs of Byron Scott's system having played under him already in N.O.

22. Dru50

There's no way the Hawks trade Smith AND Hinrich (two starters from their team) for an average PF and the 4th pick in a bad draft. The Cavs might (and I stress might) be able to get Smith for that price, but that's only because the Hawks are really hurting financially. Plus, Hinrich is coming into the last year of his deal, the Hawks will keep him or parley him into a bigger deal as an expiring contract.

23. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

hickson isnt avg! and it frees up space for the hawks on the books by doing so.

24. Dru50

Hickson is an above average PF? Since when? There is no way he is a top 10-12 PF in the league, which would tell you that he is average.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I don't see where giving up the 4 pick and JJ for Josh Smith makes this team that much better. If there's one position that they don't need to vastly improve it's the 4 spot. They could use a true center, but really they need a swing man and a scorer at the 2 and 3. If they want to move JJ that's fine, since they will have to make the decision soon if they want to pay him or not, and the 4 pick isn't all that valuable this year. All I would ask is if you want to package those two up please get a back court scorer or a good athletic 3 in return. If the options are to either keep JJ and #4 or trade that combo for another big I would assume keep JJ and the 4. I think JJ can be a 15/10 guy who could be a good defender if he tried. Josh Smith is a better player than JJ Hickson without a doubt but taking on that 12 million for the upgrade doesn't make sense to me if they are basically rebuilding from scratch. I have serious doubts that Josh Smith would be the type of player he is today with a lesser supporting cast around him.