2011 Players to Watch

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by G_T_G, Feb 27, 2011.

1. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

In this thread please state the one unheralded player on your team which you think will have a breakout season. Name their position, why you think they will break out, and perhaps even a picture of them.

Milwaukee Brewers
    [​IMG]
    John Axford - Closer
    This 27 year old Ontario, Canada native took over for the aging Trevor Hoffman in 2010 and showed a lot of promise as the club's next designated closer. Axford finished his first full season in the Majors with a 8-2 record, 2.48 ERA, and was 24 for 27 in his save attempts. He is expected to have full closing duties for the 2011 season. With the much improved team the Brewers have coming into this year, he is expected to have many opportunities to earn saves in his 2nd year in the big leagues. He will look to avoid the dreaded sophomore baseball slump and shore up the closer position in Milwaukee for years to come.

2. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

[​IMG]
    Jason Bay - LF
    I almost feel like I can throw out the 2010 campaign for Jason Bay. It was a weird season for him and not what you typically see from the steady left fielder. I feel he will return strong and solidify the 5th spot in the batting order. Coming off back to back 30 home run seasons prior to 2010, I see his power returning with 27 homers, while hitting .277 and driving in 102 runs. I see him taking advantage of the alleys in Citi Field as he did last season, and hitting 41 doubles this year. Bay is a hard nosed player who busts in on every play, and he is much faster than I originally thought. He will score 80 runs this year, while stealing 17 bases with Terry Collins’s aggressive style. This year we will see the type of season we expected from Bay in 2010.​

3. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

[​IMG]

Clay Buchholz - SP

Can a pitcher who went 17-7 with a 2.33 ERA last season really be considered for a breakout year in 2011? On this staff, he sure can. Already with a no-hitter under his belt, Buchholz has proved that he has the stuff to compete in the loaded AL East. In 2011, he, along with Jon Lester, will have to carry more of the load with Josh Beckett and John Lackey trying to rebound from sub-par 2010s. Buchholz should come close to 20 wins again this season and for many seasons to come. In addition, he has a smokin' wife. (link)

4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Good job guys. Yeah I am sure Bay will bounce back.. and Buchholz is pretty damn good..

Maybe this thread should be moved to the top story subsection of news and notes.

Also -

COME ON GUYS! LETS SEE SOME MORE PLAYERS TO WATCH!

5. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Tyler Colvin RF/1B Chicago Cubs​
    Colvin lead all rookies in home runs last year, drove in 56 runs and batted .254 all while not getting consistent playing time. Look for Cubs Manager MG to get him batting in the 5th or 6th spot with as many plate appearances as possible. Coming out of nowhere last spring, Colvin made the big league team and immediately it paid dividends for the Cubs. Finishing up with 20 home runs in only 394 plate appearances is pretty impressive for a rookie who wasn't even supposed to make the team. Look for him to continue to improve. If he hits 25 or 30 home runs this year and gets his average up above .260 I think most Cub fans would be very pleased with his progress.​

6. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Colvin is a good choice. If you start him I think he could work out nicely. He was good last year before he got impaled with that broken bat.

[​IMG]
    Ouch​

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Brad Penny - Could be the key to the AL Central title​

A good fit in Detroit.

Penny hasn't tossed 200 innings since 2007, and a strained lat limited him to nine starts last season, but there's reason to believe that the veteran hurler still has some quality frames left in his right arm. Penny rang up a 3.23 ERA and got over half of his outs on the ground for the first time in his career with a fastball that averaged 94.1 mph – an increase of nearly two mph from '08. He'll likely begin the season as the Tigers' fifth starter.

8. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

There won't be anything to watch on my team. Sorry.

9. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

10. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

[​IMG]

Clayton Kershaw - SP
    Last season Kershaw had his coming out party. Being touted as one of the most exciting young lefties since Fernando Valenzuela, and even drawing comparisons to the great Sandy Koufax over in Tinseltown, expectations are certainly high for the 22 year old. Already being named the Opening Day starter by new manager Don Mattingly, Kershaw seems primed to have his biggest season yet. They key for him will be to go deep into ballgames. Last season Kershaw could be a bit erratic which caused his pitch count to get up early and forced the bullpen to get involved earlier than Joe Torre would have liked. Kershaw's numbers, despite his W-L record looked good last season. 13-10 204.1 IP 212Ks 81BB and a 2.91 ERA.​
    If Kershaw can get his control down, and get deeper into ballgames, he should be primed for a big season. ​

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

For the Phillies, the lineup has essentially been the same for the past few years, so whenever we get a new face in the starting lineup it is news. This year, that new face is Domonic Brown, who had a small amount of playing time last year.

[​IMG]
    Domonic Brown - OF
    Last season, Baseball America selected Brown as the top prospect in baseball. A few years back, the Phillies had to offer him a signing bonus out of high school to keep him from taking a scholarship to play WR at Miami (FL). Standing 6'5" and a wiry 200lbs, Brown is one of the best up-and-coming 5-tool players in recent memory. His power was underrated for the first few years, but now the scouts are starting to see this guy has the raw power to be a middle-of-the-lineup guy for years to come once he hits his stride. How he develops for the Phillies this year will be a great thing to watch, even though it won't be all that relevant to the Phillies final record.​

12. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    good stuff blonde, i have never even heard of Dominic Brown but now I will have to look out for him this year!

13. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Thanks for peaking our interest. Lol...

14. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Broken hand out 3-6 weeks, ouch

15. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

[​IMG]

Freddie Freeman - 1B

I'm already jacking home runs with this guy. In 3 games I had 4 home runs with a few singles and a double. Also look out for Brian McCann who I hit a triple with in his first at bat and I'm striking guys out left and right with Tim Hudson.

16. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Seems to be a mistake for me choosing my closer. Its going to be hard to close games when you are never winning LOL

17. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

18. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

[​IMG]

Josh Johnson - SP
    Long story short, this guy is a beast. The last couple of years, after coming back from Tommy John surgery he's been in the Cy Young race early in the year, only to taper off later in the year thanks to a combination of bad defense and a bullpen that blew multiple wins for him. Now that the Marlins have what looks like to be the best bullpen they've had in ages, as well as an approach that akins more to defense then hitting on the roster, look for JJ to tear it up on the mound this year.