2011 Pre-Season Conference Previews/Predictions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Iron Mickey, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

2011 Pre-Season Conference Previews/Predictions

Post your Previews here gentlemen. Thanks

2. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

ACC Atlantic Division Preview

ACC Atlantic Division

Last season the ACC Atlantic Division had a rough go of it. They were basically dominated by ACC Coastal Division as Miami and North Carolina only lost two ACC games combined, and North Carolina of course went onto win the National Championship. This season the Atlantic Division looks to come back stronger and maybe balance the power in the ACC.

Wake Forest

In the balanced ACC Atlantic Division the Wake Forest Deamon Deacons appear to be at the bottom, although not by a lot. Wake Forest features one of the best receiving corps in the ACC led by Chris Givens. The questions is can a Wake QB get the ball to those receivers. Junior Ted Stachitas will be given the duty for the second straight year. Last season he performed better than expected but not great, throwing for 2100 yards 16 TDs and 16 INTs. He will be the key for Wake Forest, if he improves than Wake may be a sleeper in the division.

[​IMG]
    Prediction: 5-7 (1-7)

Boston College

Up next is the Boston College Eagles. They are about even with last place Wake Forest, and the last spot will more than likely come down to the Week 7 matchup between the two teams. The BC Eagles have plenty of question marks but QB Mike Marscovetra returns and should lead the Golden Eagles offense to some success. Last season he threw for 2600 yards, 21 TDs, and only 8 INTs. The leader for the Eagles however is Junior MLB Luke Kuechly who is one of the best Middle Linebackers in the nation. This Boston College team has potential to make some noise in the division but I think their youth and inexperience will get in the way, but look out for BC in 2012.

[​IMG]
    Prediction: 6-6 (2-6)

Clemson

The top four in the ACC is a bit unclear and the top spot could easily go to any of the teams, but I think a very talented Clemson team will find a way to lose key games as usual. Clemson's inability to win key games plus the fact that they don't get to play Duke from the Coastal Division leads the a fourth place finish for the Tigers. Clemson certainly has the talent to compete with anybody in the ACC, especially on defense, but they can never seem to put it all together. The defense is led by its dominant defensive line, which is led by DaQuan Bowers and Brandon Thompson. Bowers, who is finally a Senior, who has dominated since his freshman year and last year was no different as Bowers recorded six sacks.

[​IMG]
    Prediciton: 6-6 (3-5)

Maryland

Last season the Terrapins failed to make a bowl last year but a fairly talented squad looks to rebound in 2011. Maryland will play a favorable ACC schedule as they don't have to play the defending champs, UNC, but they do have to play Miami, but luckily Miami will have to head north for that game. The biggest question mark for Maryland will be at the most important position, Quarterback. Last season Jamarr Robinson was the QB and he is expected to win the QB battle again this season. Last year Robinson threw for a respectable 2600 yards, 16 TDs, and 12 INTs but for Maryland to succeed he has to be better. Robinson will have some weapons that will help him achieve success. The Terrapins have two good receivers and a good HB that will hopefully put the Terrapin offense near the top of the ACC. Also it should be noted that Maryland has a great kicker, Nick Ferrara, who only missed one kick last year, and could be the difference between a third place finish and first place finish in the division.

[​IMG]
    Prediction: 7-5 (5-3)

North Carolina State

Last season the North Carolina State Wolfpack finished second in the Atlantic Division, only one win shy of winning the division, and this year they are looking for revenge. NC State doesn't have quite the overall talent of Maryland, Clemson, or Florida State, but they thing they have going for them is a veteran Quarterback. Russell Wilson and Mike Glennon both saw a lot of action last year and no matter which one plays the Wolfpack offense will be in great hands. A player to keep an eye on is TE George Bryan, who caught 36 balls for 433 yards last year and looks to improve even more this year. If North Carolina State wants to win the division they will need their defense to really shine. The defense doesn't have a lot of playmakers and they won't overtake the Seminoles without at least a few guys on defense stepping up. In the end I think the division will come down to the week ten matchup between Florida State and NC State, in the end I think the Wolfpack just lose out and settle for second place in the division again.

[​IMG]
    Prediction: 8-4 (6-2)

Florida State

Florida State returns in 2011 after winning the ACC Atlantic Division but falling just short in the ACC Championship to the eventual National Champions, North Carolina. Florida State has a lot of talent back and is hungry to go farther than they did a year ago. Florida State is definitely the most talented team in the Atlantic Division and possibly the most talented in the ACC. EJ Manuel with become the starter for the first time in his career and he looks to lead the explosive Seminole offense to a BCS Bowl. The North Carolina State game will be the most important game in the division standings, but the Seminoles will also have their huge rivalry game against Miami in week seven. In the end the Seminoles will lose to Miami but will make a return trip to the ACC Championship game to either get a rematch against Miami or a rematch from last year against North Carolina.

[​IMG]
    Prediction: 10-2 (7-1)

3. wreck'em

wreck'em Walk On

Great job, man. You got last season's results for Maryland and NC State reversed though. Looks awesome otherwise.

4. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Ahh that's right , my bad. I'll fix it in a little bit

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

ACC Coastal Preview

[​IMG]

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Team
    Outlook
    Prediction
    [​IMG] Things don't look bad for the traditional basketball school. Their offensive line is nowher near dominant but if given time Sophmore QB Sean Schroder may be able to find Senior WR Donovan Varner (40rec 570yds 6TDs last season;94 Ovr) a couple more times this season. If Junior HB Desmond Scott can provide a respectable run game (226att 693yds 8TDs last season) the Duke offense may keep alot of games respectable this year because their defense will surely fail them. Two bright spots on the defensive side of the ball, Senior FS Matt Daniels (88 Ovr) and Senior DT Charlie Hatcher (83 Ovr). They alone cannot save this defense but I believe Duke will not be an easy win for most this year. Season Prediction: 5-7 (2-6)
    [​IMG] The Yellow Jackets lose their starting QB from a year ago but the HB trio of SR Roddy Jones (95 Ovr), SR Embry Peebles (92 Ovr), and SR Marcus Wright (90 Ovr) should keep GT's option offense rolling without delay. Throw in SR Preston Lyons at FB and an offensive line with no one below 83 Overall the Yellow Jackets may not have to throw the ball all year. With an average receving corp I reckon they weren't counting on it anyway. The Yellow Jackets defense is also in solid shape. Their only weak area may be depth at the CB position as Senior SS Cooper Taylor is their third best corner. Luckily for the Yellow Jackets, spread teams are rare in the ACC. I expect them to make some noise this year as they eye the ACC title. Season Prediction: 10-2 (7-1); ACC Coastal Division Champ
    [​IMG] The 'Canes come into the season ranked number 9 in the nation because of one thing and one man only: Jacory Harris (97 Ovr). Mr. Harris has a strong arm (95 THP) and deadly accuracy (90 THA). Mix that in with a veteran led receiving corp (3 seniors; 2 juniors) the 'Canes passing attack should near 3,000 yards this year. Passing should be the 'Canes main focus this year as they have no real threat in the backfield. Sophmore HB Lamar Miller looks promising but his success will rely heavily on the lanes the passing attack opens up. A solid defense also accompanies the Miami potent passing game. Led by junior DT Marcus Forston (98 Ovr) the 'Canes have talent draped all over the field. But like GT they have no depth at corner with 3 safties sitting on the depth chart at the nickel and dime corner slot. They have to be really careful if injuries hits the secondary but for now, just on paper, they look really good. I predict them to be towards the top of the ACC when the smoke clears. Season Prediction: 9-3 (6-2)
    [​IMG] The defending national champions come into the season still gleaming off their 2010 title. I hoped they enjoyed it because it doesn't look like their getting back to the promise land this year. Their front 8 will still cause some headaches led by Junior MLB Kevin Reddick (94 Ovr) and Sophmore LE Donte Paige Moss (92 Ovr) but that secondary is suspect. UNC also sufferes from the ACC Coastal plague by having safeties occupying their nickel and dime back slots. The difference between them and the others is that their safeties just aren't that good. Senior CB Lecount Fantoy (91 Ovr) may be able to shut down one good receiver but if a team lines up two speedy receivers UNC will be in trouble. Junior CB Mywan Jackson (81 Ovr;83 Speed) has no business being the second best corner on this squad and should be a nickel corner at best. If the rest of the ACC does their homework, look for alot of teams trying to air it out against North Carolina this season. With so many average players on the offensive side of the ball, scoring 35+ may be UNC's goal this season. The lone star on the offense is Junior WR Erik Highsmith (91 Ovr) but he alone cannot save this unit. I'm predicting the Tarheels to come crashing down from cloud 9 this year. Season Prediction: 8-4 (5-3)
    [​IMG] The best thing going for the Cavaliers is that the season is only 12 games long. Their run game will be absent and their QB situation looks horrendous. A decent WR corp may cause some problems for a half of some games but won't maximize their talents with Sophmore QB Ross Metheny (72 Ovr) throwing the rock around. Look for their defense to keep them in some games but watch as their offense not make the play to win the game. Season Prediction: 3-9 (1-7)
    [​IMG] The always dangerous Hokies team looks to play that role again this year, a serious threat. With the loss of their starting QB from a year ago the Hokies hope Sophmore QB Logan Thomas (82 Ovr; 91 spd) breaks out of his shell. If he can limit his mistakes this VT offense is deadly. Senior HB Darren Evans (97 Ovr) and Junior Ryan Williams (95 Ovr; 268att 1187yds 6TD last season) look to run through opposing defenses this season. And if a defense becomes too concerned about that aspect of the Hokie offense, L.Thomas has three stud receivers to throw to. Led by Senior WR Jarrett Boykin (91 Ovr; 52rec 673yds 3TDs last season) the Hokie passing attack should be something to fear this year. Mix him in with Senior WR Danny Coale (90 Ovr) and Senior Dyrell Roberts (89 Ovr) this VT offense should put up alot of points this year. Normally a strong point the Hokie defense is its weakness this year. With no superstars to lead them from the front the VT defense will have to rely on Beamer Ball if they want to make a serious run at the ACC title this year. Season Prediction: 9-3 (6-2)

6. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Very nice job Jerz.

7. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Nice write ups King & Jerzy..I hope my record ends better than last year so I can move up to a 4* program

8. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Big 12 South

Big 12 South

Team Description Record
    [​IMG] Reigning conference champs and i don't see this changing anytime soon. They lose Murray but still return a ton of talent especially on the defensive side. They Will probally end up champs again, only time will tell is they accomplish more. 12-2
    [​IMG] They come in ranked #17 in the preseason polls so they come in with alot of hype. Kansas kept them from the title game as they were the sooners only conference loss last year. If they can discover a pass game to go with the run game they have a good chance at a good season. If they remain one dimensional, the team wont improve much. 10-3
    [​IMG] What a disapointing year for the longhorns last season. They finished are 5th in the conference, and barely a top 25 finish in Gilbert's first season at the helm. The longhorns are still loaded and dangerous so expect them to bounce back in the big 12 race. 10-3
    [​IMG] Jerrod Johnson is off to get NFL riches. So where does that leave the Aggies? It leaves them in rebuilding mode. Dont expect too much from a team with this much turnover. The defense still is bad. 7-6
    [​IMG] Tech will be tech.They will put on a show but they arent a major player in the conference race. They will win games but it dosent matter as they wont be in contention. 7-6
    [​IMG] The Ghost of Ann richards still hunts the other texas schools and the big 12 as baylor is still here and they have to carry around it's little brother, who dosen't do much ever. Robert Griffin will steal some wins but not enough for anyone to worry about the little bears. 2-10

9. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

"The Ghost of Ann richards still hunts the other texas schools and the big 12 as baylor is still here"

great line and good job

10. Iron Mickey

let's have all conference write-up's done and post here by wed gentlemen.

11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I wouldn't crown the Sooners yet. Word on the street is that Nebraska is throwing rocks at the throne:)... Eventually the God-King shall bleed....

BlackShirts Are On The Move

12. Iron Mickey

BTW, excellent, excellent wirte-up Jerz. Top notch as usual

13. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

very impressive pre season material by all. Great work guys!

14. Iron Mickey

G-Unit's SEC East Confernce Preview

[​IMG]
    South Eastern Conference (East Division)

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Team Outlook Predictions
    [​IMG] Coach Bamaboiking is not one to mince words, after a very good 1-loss record last season (S. Carolina), the Dawgs look poised for a BCS National Championship run. During the offseason, Coach Bama said that he "will not lose another SEC game during his Coaching tenure". That is a bold statement, and one I am going to have to disagree with. But I am predicting the Dawgs to win the SEC East for the 2011 season and if if 2010 is a indication of anything, Soph QB Aaron Murray will be the heart & soul of this team. Also on offense, both emtremely talented tailbacks Washaun Ealey & Caleb King return and bring maybe the country's best 1-2 punch. The problem area I see for UGA is their defense and this could be a HUGE problem if the Dawgs cannot out score some opponents in the SEC. The Dawgs are very weak on the first two tier's of the "D" at defensive line & linebacker. While their pretty solid at corner, there also lean at SS. After a terrible recruiting class in 2010 the Dawgs better make the most of the 2011 season or Coach Bama is going to be hearing it from both the fans and the Athletic Dept. 11-2, lose to Alabama in the SEC Champ.
    [​IMG] The Gamecocks & Coach King_CEPS took the SEC East by storm last year by upsetting both Alabama & Georgia in the regular season. This year the Cocks have everyone's attention going into the 2011 season and will have more of an uphill battle. At QB, Garcia departed for the NFL and now Zac Brindise (RS SR) will take the reigns of the pass happy offense. Wide receiver Jeffrey Alshon returns (92 ovr) to give Zac a large-framed (6'-4", 240 lbs) dangerous weapon outside and should see double teams every play. The Cocks also got WR Gurly manning the other side and is almost just as big as Jeffrey. At Tailback Marcus Lattimore, a RS Freshman looks to get the starting nod. Marcus has blazing speed (97) and should could really find some nice running lanes due to their receiver's on the edge. On defense I see alot of potential problem areas for S.Carolina starting out with the D-Line. They are very weak upfront and lack speed on the edge and strength up the middle. At linebacker, while they have a couple experienced Seniors there not very talented and there isnt much depth at all. At cornerback Stephon Gilmore is good, but he is far from a shutdown corner you can leave on an island. #2 CB, CC Whitlock is a 4th year SR but will be the end target on alot of opposing QB's passes in 2011. CC lacks elite speed & struggles in press coverage but is excellent in zone coverage and does well actually in man long as he isn't over-matched in height too bad. At Safety Carolina is pretty solid and experienced and I am sure will be asked to help in over-the-top coverage alot. 9-3 Overall
    [​IMG] Call me crazy, but if I am feeling weary about ANY of my East Conf picks today it's this one. Vandy could be the big surprise of the East and the country....HEY!! They actually have talent!! Solid starting QB Larry Smith returns for his senior year and has some good targets and an excellent run game to help him out. Junior savvy WR John Cole is back and will be Smith's go-to guy thru the air. Tailback Norman Warren should be a 1,000 rusher and be the offense's work-horse. On defense they have one of the better MLB's in the country with SR Chris Marve, up front their nothing special but look like their heavy enough to hold their own. In the secondary they have speed but at corner there not always technically sound. SS Al Owens is a big hitter and he teams up well with Free Safety Sean Richardson, a highly-eyed athlete by the NFL. 8-4 Overall
    [​IMG] All Qb Morgan Newton needs to do is get the ball in WR Randall Cobbs hands. Cobb is electric with the ball and has superb hands. Ondefense kentuck is very weak and young everywhere except at LOLB. The corners are just plain aweful and Kentucky better be prepared to help them out alot or else. 7-5 Overall
    [​IMG] The Gators Qb John Brantley returns after last years terrible performance by him and the team overall. And I just honestly dont see much changing, after last season and the loss of Tim Tebow, this will more than likely be Meyer's last year. The way this program has fallen apart will cost him him his job and I dont see them no better than 5th in the east. With no running game nor depth on the O-Line this team will struggle right out the gate with their horse-shit pass first overrated offense. On defense they have alot of talent returning but so did they last year and it never amounted to anything in 2010. See ya Gators 6-6 Overall, FLA will be looking into Coach King's availability by seasons end.
    [​IMG] The Vols are in trouble...and that's bad considering the fact that they have sucked anyways since Tee Martin graduated. On offense the Vols dont have any weapons other than Tailback David Oku, Senior QB Matt Simms would be considered an elite quarterback......in the Sun Belt and that's about it. At WR there are no true threats even though there quite deep numbers wise. On defense they look like a wet brown paper bag and I am willing to bet will be in the bottom third of the country on total defense. 5-7 Overall

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Is anyone doing a Big12 North preview? I'd love some more bulletin board material:)

16. Iron Mickey

Big 12 North Preview is RTP. And I think he told me he will be posting it up tonight.

17. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Vandy at 8-4? ... yes, I will call you crazy
    I don't if the Dores have ever won eight games

18. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Big 12 North

Team Description Prediction
    [​IMG] Missouri welcomes one of their own back to take over for a team that saw 2 coaches come and go in a years time. Coach Mizzourah comes in highly touted from his time in some of the minor leagues and looks for that to translate into some wins for his Tigers. Blaine Gabbert is back this season and is primed for a Heisman type season, but does he have enough help around him to get it done. Mizzou gets rival OU and Big 12 division foe Nebraska back to back. Things could get ugly depending on the outcome of these 2 games. 10-2
    [​IMG] The Cornhuskers announced the hiring of Coach Jerzeyreign at the beginning of the 2010 bowl season. Tom Osborne was not happy at all with the drop off of the program at the end of the season going from a shoe in for the title game at #2 to unranked in a matter of weeks. Tom Osborne looked to Jerzeyreign as a savior to the program and threw all of his eggs in reigns basket. A lot of hope for the program is riding on the abs of “the situation†and he hopes to get the program back on track. There will be little time to get the train on the right track as defending national champion, UNC, comes in for a huge home game on week 3 followed by 2 mid season conference games againt Mizzou and Ok State in back to back weeks. 9-3
    [​IMG] The Jayhawks are riding high this season coming off of a season where they causes a lot of Every once in a while a CPU team will have their way with some users here in the Crop, but Kansas had their way with everyone they faced in the Big 12. Some of the players from last years upset minded team have gone but coach Mangino is still at the helm so look for Kansas to keep playing the spoiler. 7-5
    [​IMG] The Wildcats are a program stuck in mediocrity. They have yet to get back to the glory days from the 90’s and probably never will. In the past few years, they have been over shadowed by the Boys in Blue from the other side of the state. If KSU can go .500 against some of their bigger opponents, they have a very favorable big 12 schedule and could possibly make it to a bowl. 6-6
    [​IMG] Gone are the days and hopes brought to Boulder by Coach Trude. His sudden illness has left the program in the hands of the assistants and there is not much hope. Coming off a Big 12 title game appearance and a great season, Colorado was on the rebound, but now the outlook os gloomy. The Buffs may fare well for a season or 2 with the old regime’s recruits, but the program is headed in the same direction as KSU. 6-6
    [​IMG] Another team stuck in a rut. The Cyclones need some serious changes a a program. What they have been doing for the past few years just aint working. A big win every once in a while is not good enough for the Big 12. Look for this season to follow suit of the last few for Iowa State as Iowa State gets taken to the woodshed multiple times. 3-9

19. Iron Mickey

That Mizzou/Nebraska game should decide the North.

20. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

i like reign for now good baller decent team

21. jca312

jca312 Walk On

SEC West Preview will be up tomorrow, just putting the finishing touches on it right now, sorry. Miami Depth Chart will be up as well. Thanks for your patience.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I just realized something... Hello JCA... my Huskers want that (SoCom) National Title we "Corso'd" over to you:)

The North won't be decided in the Mizzo/Neb game... I promise you I'll lose to one of the bottom dwellers of the North before then... Wyoming kept me busy

23. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Haha, yeah, I promise you my Miami team here will be a lot tougher than the one in SoCom. That was a fun game though. I look forward to locking horns with you in CoC, maybe next time we have openings for one of our OOC games. Good luck in the Big XII.

24. jca312

jca312 Walk On

SEC West Preview

Column 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Iron Mickey