2011 Rule Changes:

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    2011 Rule Changes:

Redshirting:

As we all talked about before, you will be required to use realistic judgment on issuing redshirts for your players. Generally speaking, anyone on your 2-deep depth chart should not be redshirted. Depth charts will widely depend on what offense you are running. For example, a spread no-huddle offense will likely need 6-8 WRs to run properly. A One-back offense will need likely need 3 RBs. A pro style will likely need three TEs. You get the idea. If I need to go into more detail or answer any questions on this I will. Just don't plan to redshirt your entire recruiting class like last year. We need to balance out the number of SRs to (RS)SRs.

Playbooks:

You should take a more systematic approach to your playbooks. The offense you run should be determined by your personnel. Meaning you shouldn't run the spread if you only have 4 WRs on the roster. If you want to eventually run the fleXbox One or spread or whatever, be sure to recruit to that system. This will eliminate the whole "my star scrambling QB was injured last week so now I need to switch from a spread option to a pro-style to suit the backup". There will be none of that. Be smart when you choose a playbook and keep your current personnel in mind.

Position Changes:

These will be more strict to start out the year. ATHs will still have the 10 lb and 2 speed point cushion. We will adjust these as needed, but this is the route I think we should go in order to avoid the large influx of top players who were originally recruited as another position.

Pos Notes
    QB: Restricted
    Arm Strength > 84
    RB: No Restrictions
    FB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 230 lbs
    Height restriction < 6'2''
    Speed restriction < 83
    WR: No restrictions
    TE: Restricted
    Height restriction > 6'2''
    Weight restriction > 240 lbs
    Speed restriction < 86
    OL: No restrictions
    DT: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 250 lbs
    DE: Restricted
    Height restriction > 6'2''
    Weight restriction > 240 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 84
    OLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 85
    MLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 230 lbs
    Speed restriction < 85
    DB: No restrictions
    RET: No Restrictions

More to come as I think of them.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Should there also be a speed restriction for DT's?

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I like the weight restrictions, but I think I'd be cautious with the speed restrictions just yet. If loco works right, maybe none of those will be necessary as a fast 190 lbs DT would flat out get pummeled by a 280 lbs center.

Also, if I recall correctly, when going through UF's teambuilder roster (Mizz's sucks so nothing to comment on) I noticed there was a DE or OLB w/90 spd but he had slower acceleration.

Clearly more than just speed will matter this year so perhaps the speed restrictions aren't as necessary (or so let's hope as EA builds a more sim style game).

I do like the redshirt rule though. Perhaps you could do it where you had to post the guys you were going to redshirt just like position changes. This way if they aren't allowed, you could face recruiting sanctions or scrutiny from fellow league members.

4. GoGators

Another interesting rule to consider is the no huddle formation changes. When looking up some stuff at lunch I came across an article about 08 OU and how the OK St coach commented they were so tough to defend because they had hybrid type players all over the field. For instance they could lineup in an empty set with Greisham and Murray lined up in the slot on one play, then go no huddle and on the next line up in a traditional single back look with the same personel.

With that in mind I think the rule of no formation changes to a bigger formation is necessary, but not the other way around. So you can go from singleback big to singleback 4 wide (2 TEs in the slot) but not from singleback 4 wide to singleback big (2 WRs as TEs). It's kind of a tricky rule, but I think everyone here would be smart enough to understand it.

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I know I have said this before but I will go ahead and reiterate it here since I don't think I said it above. All of the position changes are subjected to evaluation once playing the new game. As I said, I want to be really strict on these at first, and then we can loosen them (or get rid of them all together) as we see fit.

With regards to the 90 spd DE/OLB, that sort of is the point. We don't want to switch a guy to another position and then him automatically be the fastest/highest OVR incoming player at that position. Simply doesn't make sense. The best player at a position should be one that the CPU generates at that position. We are trying to protect that.

This has already been mentioned in the commish lounge. One of the first points brought up, actually.

6. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

You should put a sticky to this thread. Or make a thread and lock it with the rules.

7. GoGators

IMO I think this is a rule that should be implemented on a league by league basis. In the leagues with new members, this could cause a huge headache for some commishes. In leagues like this where I'd imagine we all have a good understanding of what sim is it should work w/o causing many hardships.

8. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I can't speak for the new guys in this league, but I know everyone else in this league plays SIM football. No one in this league is going 5-wide, and calling an audible to 2 TE's, so they have speed at TE, or anything along those lines.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think we all agree, we are just saying it differently.

If you come out in 3 WR 1 TE and 1 RB then you should be able to move all the way up to 5 WR (with two of them being your original RB and TE). You should also be able to move all the way back down to any version of a 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB formation. However, it should not be allowed to move below that into a formation that would move the TE to FB or any of the WRs to a 2nd TE position.

This would of course be applied as a general rule, site-wide. In this league, I don't think too many people would care much if your TE went into the FB position in a shotgun dual back formation. Of course this is assuming you aren't handing him the ball or running the option with him every play.

I don't have a problem with creativity as long as it is not abused.

10. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i like the redshirt rule..... it will stop us coaches from loading up on certain position with the hope that we can redshirt guys if we get more than one prospect at a position... losing at least year of a recruits eligibility should factor heavily into what school they go to.....