2011 Season Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by ClayRocks, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Please post all game summaries here. Rather than create a new post for each week, we'll will have a rolling thread for the entire years summaries.

2. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

20.jpg

WEEK 1 GAME SUMMARY

Notre Dame 31 South Carolina 34​

The end result is a W. However if you were to look at the stats of the game you wouldn't believe the outcome. Both teams had 14 first downs, however South Carolina had 4 turnovers compared to the Irish's 2. The Irish also had 2 defensive TD's against the Gamecocks. South Carolina had a game total of 706 yards compared to Notre Dame's 418. Time of possession was heavily favored in South Carolina's direction with 20:38 to 14:28 and Carolina still struggled offensively. Both teams were under 30% for 3rd down percentage. The gamecock's had 298 total rushing yards compared to Notre Dame's pitiful 51 on the ground. South Carolina struggled at times, especially during the fitst quarter, and then at times looked unstoppable. Is this another year of a hot-cold offense? Stephen Garcia played very poorly most of the game and yet again still found a way to come up with the big plays when he needed to. His game changing pass to WR Alshon Jeffery swung the momentum to Carolina's way for a short period. However Garcia shined the most when all he was doing was handing the ball off to HB Marcus Lattimore. Lattimore broke the South Carolina's single game rushing record with his stout performance. Notre Dame, however is a dominate team who is beginning to shine like their glory days. Be that as it may, Garcia needs to make smarter decisions if he wants to lead the Gamecocks to another SEC Championship game. Yet alone win it. Stats and video highlight of todays game are below. Go Gamecocks! Keep Fighting! Carolina to Thee!​

OFFENSE

RUSHING
    Marcus Lattimore 33 carries for 286 yards and 2 TD's. He had a long of 75 yards and 5 rushes for 20 or more yards. Lattimore also had 3 receptions for 21 yards. Marcus Lattimore had a Heisman type game.​

Marcus Lattimore's 75 yards TD run that swings momentum back towards the South Carolina bench.​

PASSING
    Stephen Garcia was 12 for 19 for 206 yards making it a 63% completion percentage. His QB rating was 157.3 even though he threw 3 interceptions. He did however shine when it mattered throwing 2 TD passes. He was sacked 3 times as well. The sacks were mostly due to Garcia holding onto the ball too long.​

RECEIVING
    Alshon Jeffery only had 3 receptions for 69 yards and 1 TD. However the Irish were double covering him all day. Notre Dame did make a mistake with coverage and Alshon took advantage of it scoring on a 51 yard strike to turn the momentum towards Sout Carolina. A video of the play is below.​

Alshon Jeffery's game changing TD strike.​

DEFENSE
    There were 3 sacks in the game. Akeem Auguste, Marty Markett, and Rodney Paulk all had a sack a piece. There were 2 interceptions in the game and they belonged to Devonte Holloman and Marty Markett. DJ Swearinger led the team with tackles with 10 of them; six being solo. Akeem Auguste and Rodney Paulk both had 2 tackles for loss. Lastly, C.C. Whitlock and DJ Swearinger had a forced fumbles.​

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Kicker Jay Wooten had an enormous day today that will not go unoticed by the Head Ball Coach punting the ball 5 times for an average of 42.4 and 2 inside the 20 yardline. His longest was a 47 yard punt. He also nailed the game winning field goal as time expired to give our Gamecocks their first W of the season. A video is below of the game winning field goal. Go Gamecocks!​

Kicker Jay Wooten nailing the game winning field goal as time expires.​

20.jpg

3. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

What was the score of the game?

4. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

Lol...damn I'll put that in there.

5. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

There it has been updated. it looks good looking at it via the interent but looks horrible via phone. lol

6. pnc

pnc Walk On

Utah 35
    Miami 34

Miami,

The Utes got extremely lucky today. The Hurricanes took advantage of early turnovers to buil a 17-14 halftime lead. The second half was all Miami for a qtr. and a half. Miami's defense shut down The Utes offense and slowly built a 34-14 lead. The Utes offense was awful dropping passes, running wrong routes and throwing the ball off. With 3:36 left in the game the Utes had the ball at there 26 first and ten trailing 34-14. Thats when the momentum changed. Catching miami in a blitz WR Christopher got behind the defense for a 74 yard td catch. 34-21. On Miami's first play after the td, RB Miller fumbled and Byrd picked it up and ran 63 yards for the TD. 34-28 3:25 remaining. On Miami's next poessision The Utes guessed right expecting a pass over the middle and calling a zone picked off the ball in Miami territory with under 3 minutes left. QB Wynn hit TE Moeai short left and after breaking two tackles scored from 28 yards out. 2:21 left 35-34 Utah. the Hurricanes drove down to the Utah 30 and had 2nd down when Harris attempted a throw. he was sacked for the 5th time back at the 36 with 15 seconds left. With 1 timeout left miami let the clock run down to 2 seconds before calling a timeout. Wieclaw's 53 yard attempt was short and to the left and the utes pulled off a huge comeback and win.

Miami Stats:

QB Harris 13/24 199 1 td/ 1 pick 5 sacks
    HB Miller 32/219 3 tds 1 fumble
    WR Byrd 3/84
    WR Hagens 2/14 1td

Utah Stats:

QB Wynn 12/27 288 3/1
    HB Palamo 12/61 1 td
    WR Moeai 5/103 1td
    WR Christopher 2/105 2td

7. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Beat Down in Tallahasee

Florida State 48 TCU 14

The newest member of the Big East and 14th ranked Hornfrogs of TCU came into Doak Campbell stadium hoping to score a big out of conference win. Those hopes were quickly dashed as the Seminoles came out and made a statement to the rest of college football. The Seminole defense looked as good as advertised, forcing 4 turnovers and sacking first year stater Casey Pachall 6 times. The defensive star and player of the game was the unblockable DT Everett Dawkins who had 4 of those sacks.

[​IMG]

FSU's quarterback EJ Manuel had an efficient day scoring 3 touch downs, while halfback Chris Thompson added a pair. It was certainly a dominating performance on both sides of the ball for FSU against a very good team.

Florida State now awaits South Carolina's potent offense led my Heisman candidate Marcus Lattimore, who ripped Notre Dame for almost 300 yards. This game has all the makings of a classic.

8. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Good win BK!!

Big win for Utah in Miami!!

9. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

GG pnc that damm ice the kicker is CRAZY this season, totally caught me off guard. You earned a great win ................ rematch in Utah next season ??

10. pnc

pnc Walk On

Yeah rematch next year in Utah is fine with me. Ill tell you late 2nd to mid 4th you dominated. You're 2 4th qtr turnovers is what killed you.

From 53 yards and once i saw the angle on that freeze kick i knew you were in trouble. Ill take it though. Im thinking im going to struggle to get 7/8 wins this year.

11. Raidernation

I'm still confused .......... the whole kick meter had ice on it couldn't even see man. Guess if I had a timeout I could have counter acted it, who knows. Tough one to take, I'll be ready for the scenario if it comes next time

12. pnc

pnc Walk On

I didnt look at it closely, I just figured it was the same as the last couple of years. I could see your kicker though. You saying you couldnt see your kick meter going up?

13. Raidernation

yeah .... it was covered in ICE, i thought the kick meter was full ...... guess i was wrong cool addition no pun intended

14. pnc

pnc Walk On

Wow. Im glad they made it harder. Not just for my win:), but for the dynasty to.

15. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

#6 Ohio State 52
    USC 45

An offseason of turmoil has plagued Ohio State and how do they get rewarded on the field? With a game against another program the NCAA went after. OSU and USC did battle in Los Angeles with the Buckeyes returning home with a 52-45 overtime win. The Buckeye secondary apparently stayed in Columbus as they were torched for 494 yard passing and 634 total offensive yards. Ohio State's offense was relatively quiet all game, despite HB Dan Herron rushing for 142 yards and 4 TD's on 18 carries. Coach named Kenny Guiton as QB1 minutes before the game played pretty decent going 12-24 for 256 yards and two TD's. Although the silver bullets struggled all game they did come up with three big INT's; but no play was bigger than in overtime on USC's possession. USC on a 4th 1 from the 3-yard line ran a toss and Trojan HB Marc Tyler made the first Buckeye defender miss but in doing so allowed LB Andrew Sweat to make the play for a two yard loss.

16. C Young

C Young Walk On

Trojans Take Champs To OT...Lose It On The 1

OSU 52
    USC 45

The USC Trojans opened up the 2011 season at home and were slated to face none other than G Will and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Coach BigCudyCud, recently hired by the Trojans after lighting up the MAC with the Temple Owls, was anxious to see how his style would fare against the stiffer competition on a national stage. After going down 14-0 in the first, the Trojans stormed back to tie it at 14. OSU kept a steady pace, scoring TD after TD to lead USC 28-24 at the half. The 2nd half was more of the same, with Matt Barkley throwing 2 costly interceptions but the Trojans being able to weather the storm and keep pace with the Buckeyes. With a huge 4th qtr defensive stand, the Trojans looked to capitalize on the opportunity and come out victorious with a 39 yd td pass to Robert Woods - but it wasnt in the cards as OSU came back to tie it at 45 with 30 seconds left in the game. During the first OT period, OSU came out with a quick score, and when forced to answer back the Trojans were stoned at the one yard line!!! Coach BigCudyCud was impressed with his squad post-game saying, "We now know where we stand in the BCS picture, and we can hang with the big boys - watch out Oregon, we're comin for that Pac-12 title!"

17. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Week 1

West Virginia 34
    Clemson 41

Clemson has never played a game where the zebra's played such a pivital role in the outcome. Someone in Morgantown has light pockets tonight. Clemson had 2 roughing the passer flags thrown on the opening drive of the game, one which game them a key first down in Tiger Territory. It was a crazy crazy game all around. Tajh Boyd threw 2 INT's as well as did WV's QB.

Just to make my point, Clemson had 13 penalties for 164 yards. Of the 13 penalties, I believe 11 were roughing the passer. (A majority of these were when I was playing as Safety covering passes).

On the day, Tajh Boyd was 20/39 310 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT and a 107.7 passer rating.
    The stars of the game were no surprise to Clemson fans, Freshman HB Mike Bellamy ran for 156 yards on 11 carries for 1 TD and Freshman WR Sammy Watkins caught 6 passes for 155 yards but never made it into the endzone.

Can't wait for next week!! Clemson was lucky to come away with a win. We were down with maybe 3 min to go in the game and scored with 18 seconds remaining to come out on top. Still, WVU would not go away. The refs called a late game roughing the passer. On what would have been the last play of the game and another pick for Clemson, it was called giving the ball to the Mountaineers on Clemson's 45 yard line. The last play of the game, the pass was thrown and the WVU player had it in his hands but somehow dropped it.

Clemson will be watching alot of film this week and running some gassers for the 13 penalties the accumulated today!!!

18. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

20.jpg

Week 2 Game Summary

South Carolina 27 Florida State 45​

8.jpg

Marcus Lattimore out 11 weeks

The Gamecocks of South Carolina are in a whirl of trouble. There reigning National Freshman of the Year is estimated to be out at least 11 weeks. If South Carolina can somehow manage to play well in SEC play he should be back for the SEC Championship. As we all know, South Carolina cannot rely on the pass. Last years melt down in Kentucky proves that. Last year in the Chik Fil-A bowl game Florida State gave Lattimore a game ending concussion and went on to be the Gamecocks. If one things for sure the half back isnt going to look forward to playing the Seminoles again if and when the time comes down the road. Below are the game synopsis in brief.​

It was a close game in the first quarter as Carolina had no problem on offense and had the game tied up at 7. Then a short pass to Lattimore completely changed everything. Not only that, a couple of plays later the second string half back gets knocked out of the game. South Carolina became one dimensional and relied on the pass very heavily as they couldnt conjure up any type of running game with their third string half back in there. Later on in the 2nd half QB Stephen Garcia gets hit and has to leave the game for good and unexperienced QB Connor Shaw comes in and throws a TD strike. By then it was well too late. God was smiling on Florida State this afternoon and gave Carolina absolutely nothing. Home field advantage means a lot in college football and hopefully this is a game South Carolina can learn from. Below is an interview with QB Stephen Garcia.​

Tell me Stephen, what happened? How did the game turn badly so fast in what seemed like a seconds time?
    "Well, just bad luck I guess. They hit us hard and they were more physical. It's hard to not be one dimensional when you have a half back back there with no experience. He'll get his reps in this week and we'll be ready for Georgia. We Will be ready for Georgia."​

After the team heard Lattimore tore his bicept what was everyone's thoughts and feelings in the huddle?
    "You know, it was alright. It truly was. We knew we had a chance with Kenny Miles and his talent and experience. Then he goes down and it just seemed like nothing went our way. Nothing went our way at all out there today. Sometimes the ball just doesnt bounce your way. Tonight is the case. Give all the credit to Florida State and Jimbo. They deserve all the credit. They had a great defensive gameplan and they shut every cylinder down we had on offense."​

What do you see this Gamecock squad doing for the rest of the season?
    "We'll be just fine. I mean, you cant replace a back like Lattimore. But we will definately find a way to get back to the SEC Championship game this season. We will be there, mark my words."​

8.jpg

Injury Report

Sophmore HB Marcus Lattimore out 11 weeks with torn bicep.​
    Junior HB Kenny Miles knocked out the game.​
    Senior QB Stephen Garcia knocked out the game.​

20.jpg

19. pnc

pnc Walk On

#2 Alabama 28, Utah 6

Alabama dominated from start to finish. Between HB Richardson and the defense the game was never in doubt. What little chance The Utes had was wiped out when Junior QB Wynn was knocked out in the second qtr with a serious injury. The Utes backup is a freshman QB rated mid 60s. Never seen more Question marks In my dynasties combined last year. He was rattled all second half and he played like it. The injury Will keep QB Wynn out for a month so next weeks user conference game at USC has lost its shine. Gameday was considering coming to California next week, but ESPN has already announced the USC/Utah game has been removed from consideration. Ill post the game stats tomorrow, unless Magoo beats me too it.

Good game Magoo.

20. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Ducks Cage Tigers

The Oregon Ducks walked into Death Valley Saturday and took no survivors, running all over the LSU defense en route to a 54-0 victory. Star HB LaMichael James carried the ball 21 times for a total of 243 yards and four touchdowns, while QB Darron Thomas went 10-14 for 118 yards and a score. The Duck offense was perfect in the redzone as well and only turned the ball over once. When asked about his offense, Coach RyanC said, "We came out and played groggy in the first quarter, made some sloppy mistakes, and were bailed out by our defense on numerous occasions, but the team rallied at the break and were incredible for the remainder of the game."

The defense was on its game as well, holding the LSU offense to only 137 total yards, 51 rushing and 86 passing, and forcing them to spend most of the second half in their half. They also forced 7 interceptions, two to Jefferson and five to backup Mettenberger. Cliff Harris finished with two interceptions, while John Boyett added a pick-six. "We just wanted to get after them, we knew they had talented players and we just wanted to make sure we came out firing on all cylinders to shut them down."

Stats

Passing
    D. Thomas - 10/14 118 yards, 1 TD/1 INT

Rushing
    L. James - 21 car, 243 yards 4 TD

Defense
    C. Harris - 6 tkl, 2 INT
    B. Lokombo - 3 TFL, 1 Sack
    E. Dargan - 1 INT, 1 TD
    J. Boyett - 1 INT, 1 TD
    E. Pleasant - 2 INT

gg eberdeeber it just wasn't your day man

21. Raidernation

The Canes bounce back to handle the Terps behind Miller .......

Week 2.jpg Week 2 Stats.jpg

Attached Files:

22. C Young

C Young Walk On

Trojans Luck Runs Out With Time Expiring!
    Texas 56
    USC 49

The Longhorns were the second Top 25 ranked team to come into the Coliseum and barely escape with a win. USC looked to break things open early in the game with a 14-3 lead...but QB Matt Barkley was sacked and stripped for a TD, and that officially turned the tide of the game. After tying the game with 1 second left, Coach Young elected for a squib kick which backfired right in his face when it was run back for the game winning TD as time expired. Coach Young made his press conference incredibly short post-game, stating that QB Matt Barkley was ok and would be ready for next week vs. Utah. On the bright side, USC's WR Corps looks like it is easily the #1 WR Corps in the nation!

23. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, well, well. Penn State is 2-0. Who would have believed that Penn State, unranked in the pre-season, would go into the mighty Big 12 and knock off two of its nationally ranked programs. #23 Missouri and #6 Oklahoma State found out first hand just how football is done in the Big 10. While the Big 12 has become a pass happy conference, The Big 10 plays football how its supposed to be played...PHYSICAL!

Penn State 34
    Oklahoma State 31

OFFENSE
    Against the highly favored Cowboys, PSU did what they do best...control the tempo, and nothing controls tempo like a hard and physical running game. Led by Sr tailback Stephon Green's 155 yards on 30 carries, the Lions banged away at the Cowboys for 206 yards on the ground. Jr QB Matt McGloin was adequate, but hardly spectacular, throwing for the game winning touchdown, a 16 strike to wr Shawney Kersey with 9 seconds remaining in the game. This was McGloins only TD of the game, although, he did not throw an interception. The offensive line was horrendous giving up 7 sacks. Hopefully the coaches can coach em up this week in preparation for #2 Alabama.

DEFENSE
    To control the tempo a team needs a counterpart to match a ground it out running game....and thats a solid tackling defense. Facing 4 and 5 receiver sets for the majority of the game, a good tackling defense was paramount for Penn State. Penn State held Oklahoma State's All-American and Heisman trophy candidate WR James Blackmon to 1 catch, albeit a 75 yard touchdown reception. For the game the Cowboys could only manage 185 total passing yards at a 33% completion percentage. The Lions forced 3 interceptions and harassed the Cowboy QB's for 4 sacks. Although the Lions won the defense gave up far to many big plays. This can't happen if the Lions expect to win next week against #2 Alabama.

24. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Clemson 38
    #21 Georgia 10

Today, it was all Clemson!!! The Dawgs held the Tigers to a FG on their first drive, but that would be the last time. With 1:29 to go in the first, Sammy Watkins made an appearance with a 53 yard TD reception. UGA got finally got on the board in the 2nd quarter with a 29 yard FG. It was a tough day for UGA QB Aaron Murray, throwing three devastating picks and was under pressure all day.

Clemson is happy to come away with a win between the hedges today. It is a big win for the program. Alot of freshman saw the field today and that will be a big help in the future.

25. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Another Dominant Showing from the Seminoles

#7 Florida State 55
    #25 Arizona State 17

The Seminoles traveled to Arizona Stadium to face the 25th ranked Sun Devils. This would be FSU's third straight game against a ranked opponent to start the season. The Sun Devils came in as a sexy pick to contend for the PAC 12 title, but in the end their fans booed them off their own field. After the starting offense put up 38 points in the first half they took the rest of the day off. ASU scored 10 in the fourth trying to make the score a little less lopsided. QB EJ Manuel finished the day 13-17 for 177 yards and two touchdowns. Chris Thompson carried the ball 14 times for 114 yards and a score. The defense again looked strong, holding ASU's high powered passing offense to 170 yards while punishing Junior QB Brock Osweiler. The Sun Devil running game didn't fair any better accounting for 33 total yards.​

The Seminoles now will start preparing for a showdown with #1 ranked Oklahoma. The Sooners will have their work cut out for them traveling to Tallahassee to face a well rested team on a roll and in a very hostile environment.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.