2011 Season Review

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 27, 2010.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

2011 Season Review

Personally I'd like to hear a quick recap from everybody on their year.

How'd you do? Was the year a success?

Who came up big for you?

Who's the future of your team?

Who are you losing, and how does that impact your team?

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

louisville suck's donkey dick...that is all

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

This season was kind of bittersweet. Stanford was on the verge of jumping from a middle of the pack school into the top echelons of the NCAA. This included a big win against eventual champs Washington in Seattle - propelling us to 3 in the BCS rankings and 4 in the national polls.

But Stanford played .500 ball down the stretch, losing two big games to bitter conference rivals. In the blink of an eye we went from 8-1 to 9-3 and playing fucking Baylor in a bowl game.

Our biggest challenge all year was overcoming the lack of talent at cornerback - especially after losing our starting free safety for a big stretch of the season (his backup was starting at nickel back). This was particularly challenging after the tuning pack tweaked coverage - opposing wide receivers were running wild.

As a result a lot of our success defensively was placed on a strong front seven. If we didn't bottle up the run and pressure the QB we were in trouble. And while that group looked impressive at times, they were also inconsistent.

On the bright side a few young players were important members of the team. Redshirt freshman Anthony Wilkerson ran for 1,400 yards despite not starting until Week 4 (and missing the game against Cal) - earning Freshman All-American honors.

Freshman Will Fuller started at Center and was solid despite a few bumps early (he had a tendancy to whiff his blocks on screen plays). FS Carrington made plays as the team's Dime back and on special teams.

QB Andrew Luck threw for almost 3,000 yards, cut his interceptions down from 18 to 13 and threw for 24 TDs. And a balanced passing attack saw five different players catch 20 balls or more on the season.

Defensively, DT Terrence Stephens tied for the NCAA lead in sacks with 12. Sophomore DEs Mauro and Murphy tallied another 6 total. And ROLB Skov was 3rd in the NCAA in solo-tackles with 64.

Looking Ahead
    Three big question marks going into the offseason. Will Andrew Luck, Shayne Skov and LT Johnathon Martin return for their senior seasons? If all or some of them leave it will be a retooling year. If both stay, Stanford could possibly take that next step they stumbled reaching this season.

Key Returning Players: HB Wilkerson, 3 of 4 DL starters, FS Bernard

Key Leaving Players: Both starting WRs, 2 starting OL, LOLB Keiser, SS Delano Howell, TE Coby Fleener, DT Masifilo, CB Bademosi.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

WISCONSIN BADGERS
    2011 YEAR REVIEW

Record 11-2
    Capital One Bowl Win over Ole Miss 48-21
    Finish #3-4 in Final Polls

Stars of 2011
    OFFENSE

HB John Clay 231 carries for 2200+ Yards 40 Rushing TDs. Clay was hurt for the final 3 games of the season 2 vs users. He would have won Heisman if this did not happen. I believe he won 3 awards though.

HB Montee Ball - Very serviceable #2 HB who often made big plays when Clay was out or taking a breather. 112 carries 860 yards and 12 Rushing TDs.

WR Nick Toon - He caught 34 balls for 805 yards and had 5 TDS. He was the #1 wr but his role was limited due to the run first offense of the Badgers.

DEFENSE
    DT Patrick Butrym - Captain of Team he managed 7 sacks, 15 tackles for loss and 35 total tackles.

2012 Outlook
    OFFENSE

QB Curt Phillips (SR) - He will be back for his last run here at Wisconsin. He really is more of a runner than a thrower (82 Accuracy). I will try to find more plays where he can roll out or run the option. He has no future in the NFL unless he can catch and play TE at 6'3 225.

HB Montee Ball (SR) - He will be the feature back and will see a significant number of carries. At 5'11 and 236 lbs he is a load to bring down. We hope he stays healthy he is bit fragile (84 INJ).

WR Kenneth Lewis (FR) - Fresh from high school this boy will be at #1 or #2 WR. He is fast (A+ SPD) and exactly what we need to spread the field a bit. We expect big things from Kenneth.

We lose a 97 rated RG on the OLINE but other than that the line will be stacked again!

DEFENSE

Defense in general was poor especially the pass defense. The sad news is we had 3 seniors at CB. It appears like it is going to be worse and totally up to who I recruit to determine where this defense will be in a few years.

The best MLB we have for next season is rated a 67. We will have to do some shuffling at position changes this offseason.

The only bright we have on defense at DT. We have some big boys who are ready to clog the holes and get some sacks.

The General Future for the Badgers

On Offense we signed 2 star QBs, 1 Star WR and 2 Stud Guards. If we can seal the deal on big time HB David Jones our Offense looks very solid. We are always on the look out for the Receiving TE also.

The Defense is what will hold this team back for the next 1-3 years. We are praying for 1 Defensive star to be interested in us that we can build around in the off season. If so then we will have a plan. Next season look for Wisconsin to go Heavy on the Defensive recruiting brigade.

1 bad decision in 5 quarters vs Purdue and flat performance vs MSU defined our season. Other than that we were happen with the way team played this season. We cruised through almost every game pretty easily.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    ---it was a bittersweet year because losing to USF and Wisconsin hurt. Wisconsin because of the rivalry and UsF because we lost the big east title that day. We were able to land a BCS bowl and managed to squeak out a win over a good team and towards the end we needed that win. We should move up in prestige I believe by all accounts so that will help rutgers all around the board as we continue to move forward.*

Who came up big for you?
    ---there were two guys. Freshman WR Brandon Coleman was huge and was a great target out of the slot. *He made me feel better about the potential of losing Sanu and Harrison just a bit because Coleman is a stud. 6'6" WR who makes spectacular plays. Also DeAntwan Williams, our scat back was good this year. *We inserted him into the starting lineup and our run game was more consistent. SR RB Joe martinek did better as a backup as well. Our defense was alright specifically my SO-CB who started for me this year. He made some nice plays throughout the year.*

---the future lies mostly in my WR corps which I feel shouldn't have much of a dropoff at all. This class I was able to shore up my defensive line and add depth at the LB spot. My secondary is looking very nice especially my CB corps. If anything I'm worried about, it's IF QB Tom Savage leaves. If he does, there will be an open QB competition to start there. Whoever gets that nod will have plenty of weapons but we hope that we don't have to go down that route.*

---most of my teams impact guys are juniors and knowing how disappointed they were in that they didn't get back to the title game, there maybe some sense of "we can get back there and we want to show it" type of mentality. But the bottom line is these are kids, with 3 big ones that are in line for major money coming their way. WR Mohamed Sanu is a 1st rounder, Harrison a mid 2nd rounder and Savage a likely late 1st, early 2nd rounder. We will soon find out what their future plans are. We will lose two guys who get lost in the shuffle. SR RB Joe Martinek lost his starting job but was so much better as the 2nd RB that he flourished. TE DJ Jefferson was a big time target and if there is a void to fill, it's his spot. We lose some key offensive linemen, our impact LB, one of our starting corners and my FS as they all graduate.*

6. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Personally I'd like to hear a quick recap from everybody on their year.

Fuck no. Purdue got SCREWED!

Who came up big for you?
    TerBush and WR core had an excellent year. Offense as a whole was dynamic and best in the nation.

We return most of the receiving core as well as add more speed with the incoming freshmen. We have a dynamic RB coming in who will see some time. Defensively we got a little more beef at DE as we transition to a 3-4 defense. We have to rebuild the secondary as we lose 2 of our top 3 CBs. We signed 3 good LBs, 2 of them should see significant time. The one that excites us is MLB Patrick Richardson who boasts 4.38 speed and has great size.

Two of the top 2 CBs. This could be good or bad. We played horribly against the pass last season, time to get some new blood in there. We lose starting RB Ralph Bolden. He was injury prone so it'll be nice to see what McBurse and the Frosh can do. We could possibly be losing TerBush as his stock is pretty high despite his low overall rating.

7. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

We dissapointed in every aspect of the game. A pre-season top 5 team with 5 loses...? Heads are shakin' in Pittsburgh. The tough schedule should be factored in, but there was some close games that the Panthers let slip through their hands and you have to win those type of games.

We lost two starters in the secondary and we had nothing to fill the void. We started 2 sub 70 underclassmen this year and it showed. We got molested through the air and could not get stops, putting pressure on our offense to score points and that backfired on us alot this year with turnovers. We did rally back to win our last 3 games to get to 8 wins, but there is no sense of a successful season around here.

Who came up big for you?

HB Dion Lewis has been an absolute workhorse for this program the last two seasons. We have a couple of senior LB's that were gonna miss and of course an underperforming WR who will be a high draft choice im sure.

We have a really nice young receiving core... even after Shanahan and Saddler leave in a year, we have some big, talented guys waiting in the wings. Our HB position will inevitabely take a hit, but i like the diverse young group of kids we have waiting whenever Lewis decides to go pro.

Our defense will get better as our young secondary matures a bit... it might never be great, the answers here could still be in high school in south Florida right now. Sunseri will get one more season at QB, but we have a young, accurate kid waiting to take over when the time is right.

WR - Baldwin - He was a big, talented guy who never lived up to his potential... still, will be tough to fill his shoes because he was definitely a game changer with the ball in his hands.

FB - Hynoski - A devastating lead blocker and great with the ball too, will be hard to replace. We did manage to pull in the #1 FB recruit in the nation who will have to start as a freshman.

OL - General turnover here, we are repleneshing this position well with this years class.. hopefully we will have enough talent to bridge the gap until they are ready.

DL - Have a couple of very solid contributors graduating, but we have some nice young talent that got some experience this year.

LB - Tough to lose two seniors here but we have some very talented young athletes set to take their place.

DB - There is no cavalry coming to save this group, they either man up or we will have to continue to outscore people to win. The kid CB Knox did make the Freshman All-American team and he has some raw talent but man did they all get torched this year. Especially after the last tuner patch... wow... clueless.

K-P - Should be interesting with both of them graduating.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

For the most part yes. The loss to CPU Oregon State was dissapointing, but they just went crazy on O and there was nothing we could do. We still had our shot against UW and we blew it. Had several chances to lock that game up and we could not hit the nail on any of them.

Who came up big for you?

Prince our QB was just fantastic until his injury. It hurt us in the game vs UW, his replacement played a heck of a game against arch rival USC.

Our recruiter is a close second ;), this team is nothing special the first two seasons but we now have a few building blocks going into next season. Lots of young players will play soon.

Man thats a tough one, we have nothing of note on O at WR next season. We have a young WR who has a shot to be special and a few other WRs who could produce. RB is barren but we have a young kid names Jordan James who will get a long look in the spring, but we expect Franklin to carry the load next year as a senior. He isnt explosive but he is very solid.

On D we have stock piled a ton of young talent but I cant remember any names off the top of my head. Check back soon we will have our preseason outlook up soon.

Rosario at WR and my TE are both leaving as our are two best Oline players and our best LB.

Next year the O will be very young almost everywhere and the D should have to carry this team.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

How'd you do? Was the year a success? Anytime you win a national championship you can only say the season was a success. I'd like to go undefeated someday, but who cares, we got the bling. The biggest thing is that by winning the title we will go up again in prestige. We really need that because the guys we've recruited so far, by and large, stink.

Who came up big for you? It seemed to be an all-around team effort. Overall I'd say defense. We always seemed to come up with a stop when we needed it. DT Alameda Ta'amu was a rock for us defensively as we finished in the Top 4 in rushing yards allowed. Our team flew to the ball in most games and although we had a couple off games against tough opponents, that would have to be considered the reason why. Nick Montana also played well above his head.

Who's the future of your team? HB Deontae Cooper should be a very big cog in our offensive machine, he's a 78 OVR freshman with 99 stamina - His 23-yard touchdown run against a MSU team that was going for the strip cemented the BCS game. Obviously, QB Nick Montana has a starting job next year barring a change in his quality of play. WR Kevin Smith needs more development but came up with some big plays this year. He's got the decent speed at 91 and 98 Acceleration to boot. James Johnson is another very good receiver. His speed is limited but he gets to top speed immediatley (98 accel) so is tough to cover inside. Finally, on defense we lose a lot this year but FS Sean parker should be a big part of our future plans, with his incredible speed.

Who are you losing, and how does that impact your team? We're losing a ton. I'm really not sandbagging when I say I can't see how we would win again next year. Just losing too much.

Impact, dominant WR Jermaine Kearse, gone

Dominant DT, a 6'3" 350 DT gone, and the next guys are like 280 without the strength/ability.

Dominant RG gone, nobody to replace him.

Some top defensive backs gone, again we don't have replacements.

Overall I'd just have to say that I'm glad we won it this year, I didn't think we would but I definitely don't think we will be making a return trip to the BCS until 2-3 years down the road. Just too little talent. We started at A-, won the champ. as a B, and we should be a C+ at best next season.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nice write ups boyz!