2011 Spring Ball Position Battles

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by JrRawlins, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

2011 Spring Ball Position Battles

I dont know about the rest of you, but depending on progression and how highly rated my freshman come in, I have several position battles to decide upon that should affect my season immensely one way or the other...

QB
    [​IMG]

My QB position has two totally different quarterbacks on the roster.
    -- Klein is the incumbent starter and has a alot of experience and skills. Klein is mobile but not quite as accurate as the Wildcat Coach would like to spread the offense out.
    -- Cosh is accurate, and even quite mobile but he is young and inexperienced.
    -- Manes is a career backup.

HB
    [​IMG]

My HB position has potential but not sure if they can carry the load....
    --DinWiddie is a scat back with serious speed and the potential to take any carry to the house, but in between the tackles.. not sure he could carry the load the whole season....
    --Robinson he a nice balance of speed and power but his carrying rating is low, maybe alittle too low for 20+ carries but he might be able to handle 15 or so....
    --Childs is gonna be my sledgehammer, goalline carries 3rd and short carries...

WR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My WR position is suspect at best....
    -- Broderick Smith is by far the best WR on our roster....
    -- Bachamp could be the starter depending on the ratings of the freshman coming in....
    -- Adams has the speed to be a starter from Day 1... but his hands are suspect.....
    -- Hayes has the hands and the route running to start in the slot, but his speed/size isnt enough to start on the outside....

TE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At Tight End, our recruiting class his definitely bolstered a weak position into a possibly position of strength..
    -- Crowder should be the annointed starter, he has the best ratings of the group
    --Unless Tannahill gets a huge boost in progression across the board, his days as a starter are done after this season.....
    -- Lonnie Johnson is a athlete with all kinds of potential size and speed and decent hands.. will get some playing time, but his blocking isnt good enough for him to start....

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Assuming no early NFL draft defections, here is how Miss St's spring depth chart will look:

QB - Senior Chris Relf and RS sophomore Tyler Russell will return. The team will likely be moving back to more of a spread option/passing offense in 2011, since that was the only thing that was effective in the latter half of the year. Relf is slightly more athletic, but Russell is by far the better passer. I would guess that Russell wins the job in spring.

HB - Robert Elliott will hopefully return for his senior season and will likely be the starter. His breakaway speed is a real weapon. RS sophomore Montrell Connor will be there in case Elliott stumbles. He doesn't have the pure speed but is a big back (225 lbs) with some power.

WR/TE - The only guy on this group to replace is Leon Berry, who graduates. Juniors Chad Bumphis and Brandon Heavens will be joined in the 4 wide sets by sophomores Michael Carr and Robert Johnson. All received significant playing time in 2010. Marcus Green and Kendrick Cook return as the top 2 TE's. Green is the best receiving threat on the team (rated as the highest OVR WR if played there) and likely will be a main target in the passing game in 2011. Cook is more of a blocker but will definitely play a role.

OL - 3 of 5 lineman will have to be replaced in 2011. This could seriously impact the offense if the new players can't step up.

DE - RS junior Nick Bell and senior Sean Ferguson will step in two replace the leaders of the 2010 defensive line. Their backups are not serious competition for playing time.

DT - Juniors Fletcher Cox and Devin Jones will return to man the middle in the 4-3 in 2011. I expect them to be the anchors of the run defense after starting all 2010.

OLB - Chris White and KJ Wright will both graduate, and they were the heart and soul of the defense. White's backup also graduates, but RS senior Terrell Johnson will step in to start at LOLB. Junior Cameron Lawrence will likely move from MLB to the outside to play ROLB in 2011. The backups will likely be freshman from the incoming class.

MLB - RS junior Brandon Wilson will return to play the 'mike' position, and is expected to be the captain of the defense. RS sophomore Doentae Skinner will be the backup at MLB.

CB - The starting corners look to be Damein Anderson and Corey Broomfield, with Louis Watson at the nickel. All three are pretty reliable, but not amazing. The team expects to run a fairly vanilla defensive look and not ask them to do too much in one on one coverage.

FS - Junior Johnathan Banks will return to play the FS position. He made several big plays last year and showed the ability to play zone and man vs slot WR's when needed.

SS - Charles Mitchell will play SS in his senior season. He is more of a in the box SS than a cover guy, as the team tries not to have him play man vs WR's often.

Some recruits will definitely be in the 2-deep next year, but I don't expect to have to start any unless I get hit with injuries.

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

So this is how you occupy your time when you don't have a Conference Championship game to gameplan for. Noted hahaha.

Or your name is Dru and you no longer are an indentured servant of public accounting.

4. JrRawlins

We dont all get A- overall offenses to start with.....(y)

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    There is a bunch of spring story lines for the Demon Deacons.

QB - Is SR Skylar Jones the answer? Unless significant improvements are made in the off-season, it doesn't appear that he has the right tools to lead a dynamic offensive attack. Unfortunately, Wake Forest missed out on the only QB prospect that might be able to come in and challenge him.

HB - Two SRs will have to combine to make up for the lost production of Josh Adams. Brandon Pendergrass has more top end speed while Dixon VI is a more complete back.

LB - Losing two SRs here hurts. Incoming true frosh Sam Miller will get a look at both the Sam and Mike positions (in addition to safety). JR Erhmann will likely make the move to the Will. JR Scott Betros had a decent year as a role player LB and will have his foot in the door for the starting MLB spot.

FS - There really is no one on the roster right now who can step into this position. The leading candidate would have to be backup SS John Stamper. There is a possiblity of starting SS Quarles moving over to FS. CB Josh Bush will also get some time at FS to see how he does.

6. JrRawlins

I should probably add LOLB to this list.....

my current starter is leavin.....

Hertzog is too small and King is too small to play in a 3-4....
    I am gonna have to either move one of my MLB's over to OLB or start a freshman outside.....

depending on how the recruits come in, one of the freshman might start... or i might slide one of my backup MLB's outside...... I am leaning towards Terrell who definitely has the size and speed, but i would love to start one of my freshman....

7. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

KENTUCKY WILDCATS 2011 SPRING BALL POSITION BATTLE

QB: JR Morgan Newton seems to have the starting job on lock for the next 2 years. With 90 THP & 78 THA & 87 SPD, he looks like he can lead us to a bowl game next season. Incoming FR Trent McLaughin looks to battle SO Ryan Phillipi for the backup position.

HB: JR Donald Russell is the starting HB. He had almost 800 yds last season & he wasn't a full time starter.

WR: SR Randall Cobb is the #1 WR on the team. The #2 WR is most likely will be JR Larod King. He might get tested by SR Gene McCaskill, but its highly unlikely.

TE: SR Ryan Wallace is the starting TE.

OL: The OLINE comes back as the same.

DE: Where do I start? There will be an open competition for the LE spot. SO Patrick Ligon & incoming FRs Elton Pierre & Jay Snyder. Jay Snyder looks goods so he has the edge to get the starting position. If they don't work out we will move SO Justin Henderson from RE to LE.

DT: Again where do I start? With both starting DTs graduating, there will be an open competition for the 2 DT spots. SR Mark Crawford, SO Mister Cobble & incoming FRs Nate Mays & Jordy Penn. Jordy Penn is big at 6'3" & 300lbs. He might get 1 spot just to help with stopping the run up the middle.

LOLB: LOLB will be an open competiton between JR Ridge Wilson, SO Tim Patterson & imcoming FRs Thomas Clay & Thomas Richardson. Right now its Thomas Clay job to lose. He has A- ACC & B- SPD so we like get him on the field as soon as possible.

MLB: SR Ronnie Sneed will have a hard time holding of incoming FR Jamaal Williams. Jamaal was recruited to start right away. With great ACC & SPD he will see the field if he is not starting next season.

ROLB: SR Danny Trevathon is the starting ROLB.

CB: SO Martavious Neloms will get the 2nd CB spot.

FS: FS comes back as the same

SS: SR Taledo Smith comes back as the starting SS after missing most of 2010 with an injury

Edit: SO QB Ryan Phillipi has decided to transfer to Ball State, so incoming FR Trent McLaughin is the backup.

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Spring Report
    -------------

Quarterback - Sean Renfree will be a junior, and looks to improve in a big way.
    If he doesn't he may split time with Sean Schroeder.

HB - Desmond Scott returns, as well as #2 speedster Josh Snead.
    Both look to be used more in the new offense brewing in Durham.

FB - H-Back George Pearkes returns.

WR - Kelly Austin leaves (#3 receiver), but the combo of
    Varner and Vernon return, hopefully they will be much more productive.

TE - Three seniors graduate, and only freshman Brandon Braxton returns. Two new recruits will play here.

OL - The loss of three guards and our center hurt, but we have capable replacements.

DE - Two seniors graduate, and the replacements don't fit the new scheme. We may end up starting big bodied freshman.

DT - Charlie Hatcher will man the NT position for one more season.

OLB - We will be very young on the edge, both starters graduate.

MLB - Damiam Gamble graduates, Austin Gamble steps in as the strong side MLB. The weak side will likely be a freshman.

CB - Chris Rwabukamba graduates but Greene and nickleback Lex Butler will start.

FS - Stud Matt Daniels returns for his senior year after being hurt most of 2010.

SS - Jordan Byes returns.

Special Teams - K Snyderwine ruturns for his senior year, but a freshman will play punter.

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Missouri 2011 Spring Report

QB
    With the departure of AA Blaine Gabbert, this battle is wide open this spring. Any of the QBs on the roster could man the offense next season. While there will likely be a drop off, there's enough talent in this bunch to be productive.

SR Jimmy Costello, 6'3" 225, 80 ovr, pocket passer, strong arm decent accuracy
    SO Ashton Glaser, 6' 220, 77 ovr, pocket passer with better feet than Costello
    RS FR James Franklin, 6'2" 218, 75 ovr, balanced dual threat, beast running & throwing but no experience
    RS FR Tyler Gabbert, 6'2" 190, 75 ovr, balanced w/88spd and precision accuracy.

HB
    Not much to choose from here with the departure of last years starter Washington. Perhaps a freshman will step in over the summer and be a breath of fresh air.

SR Devion Moore, 77 ovr, 5'9" 195
    JR Kendial, Lawrence, 73 ovr, 5'9" 190

WR
    Not much change here as all WR's from last years title team return. L Damian Washington will look to claim a flanker spot this spring.

TE
    Returning starter Andrew Jones has this one locked up.

DT
    No change as two seniors return to hold down the middle.

DE
    Aldon Smith looks to improve his draft stock in his JR year.
    AA Jacquies Smith will look to build on his successful `10 campaign.

LB
    This could be the weakest unit on the team. Look for some freshman to challenge for playing time this summer.

Josh Tatum
    Zaviar Gooden
    Jeff Gettys

CB
    With both starters graduating, this position is wide open. However, there's only 3 remaining CBs on the roster.

SR Trey Hobson, 5'11" 190, 74 overall
    JR Kip Edwards, 6'1" 200, 75 overall (may move to safety)
    SO Tristen Holt, 6'0" 185, 75 overall

FS
    AA Kenji Jackson is the only safety remaining on the roster. 81 overall.

SS
    Matt White, 68 overall, is the only SS remaining on the roster.

As you can see, Missouri doesn't have a prayer of repeating in 2011.

10. JrRawlins

I figured out most of the positional battles for my roster this season.....

still tryin to decide how my linebackers will shake out....

i got 6 guys who could start at 4 spots.....

Troy Butler is our best player and will start at ROLB
    Jay Wright has seriously pro potential at RILB
    At LILB
    Kadero Terrell
    Blake Slaughter
    Alec Hrebec

all three of these guys are good at specific things and may share time at LILB Terrell is the most balanced, Slaughter is solid is pass coverage, and Hrebec is really strong in run support....

at LOLB
    Ernest Young should be the starter.... he is JUCO player..... but has outstanding speed and pursuit with decent tackle.....
    Blake Slaughter has the size and speed to play outside
    Kadero Terrell again is the most balanced but im not entirely sure he plays up to his stats...

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I have no idea who I am going to start at QB. My starter last year is now fourth on my depth chart (third when you consider that the transfer has to sit out a year).

The #1 guy is only 4 points better than my #5 guy...

12. JrRawlins

Looking back at this..... I was right about Crowder, second in the Mackey award race.... Cosh also panned out even though he got knocked out for hte season..... the running back by committee really didnt pan out, Im gonna have to make a choice next season and stick with one guy next year.... not sure who though, will more than likely be based on progression...

Defensively, Young is a scrub..... he started two games and made one tackle.... not sure what to do with him now..... Terrell really panned out at ROLB... my entire LB core is gone.. Butler, Wright, Hrebec, Terrell..... all seniors... add in Lemur, Hartman and Garrett... the Wildcats defense is in shambles......

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    What OVR did Crowder come in at?

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I was way off on my QB and DE position predictions. Tyler Russell played very poorly early in the season (1 TD vs 5 picks) and Relf was the man when given the opportunities. He won the job and the offense never looked back.

At DE, RS freshman Kaleb Eulls came out of nowhere and won the starting job in week 1. He has really solid numbers, including over 20 TFL and 10 sacks, and is the biggest pass rush threat on the team while also being really solid vs the run.

15. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

QB: Matt Morgan was so up & down this year, but he is still the best QB on the roster. If he decides to leave, I hope RS FR Trent Mclaughin can become the starter for the next 4 years.

HB: Donald Russell put up over 1000 yds & 10 TDs this season. If he leaves it will be a huge blow.

WR: Randall Cobb is graduating & so is Gene McCaskill. Gene beat out Larod King for the 2nd WR spot. If Larod decide to leave, that will be my top 3 WRs gone.

TE: Ryan Wallace had an ok year. Sometimes I forgot about him in my offense. To bad he is graduating.

DE: Didn't work out at all as I planned. Jay Snyder looked great the 1st game, but was invisible most of the games afterwards. We moved Justin Henderson to LE & he did a better job.

DT: Nate Mays & Jordy Penn didn't even see the field this year. Mark Crawford & Mister Cobble did a great job. With Mark graduating, there will be an open competition for the other DT spot.

LOLB: Thomas Clay lost the starting job after week 2. Great SPD & ACC, but he has nothing else.

MLB: Jamaal Williams played well, but not better than Ronnie Sneed. With Ronnie graduating, is now Jamaal spot to lose.