2011 Stanford Cardinals

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ticketp1, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ticketp1

ticketp1 Walk On

2011 Stanford Cardinals

Cardinal summaries here...first one coming later tonight.

2. ticketp1

ticketp1 Walk On

Stanford 37 - Arizona St. 7

[​IMG]

It may be the start of a new era, but not a lot has changed in Palo Alto. The Stanford Cardinals once again rolled to a victory tonight over the Arizona St. Sun Devils to improve their record to 4-1. The game was never really in doubt as the Cardinals jumped out to a 10-0 halftime lead, extended it to 17-7 at the end of the 3rd and finished off the Sun Devils in the fourth for a final of 37-7.

New Coach Ticketp1 was impressed with what he saw on the field. "I thought we played well in all three phases of the game tonight. Our offense ran the ball to set up the pass, our defense played tough all night and besides the missed extra point I thought our special teams were good. It's good to get a game under my belt before having to face the defending national champ Oregon St. We will have to play even better to beat the Beavers, they are one of if not the toughest team we'll see all season. Our guys are looking forward to the challenge."

The Cardinals dominated the Sun Devils on the scoreboard and the stat sheet. QB Josh Nunes threw for close to 350 yds and 2 TDs. Running back Stepfan Taylor ran for over 200 yds. and 3 TDs while catching a TD as well, and Griff Whalen lead the team with 4 catches for 110 yds. The defense did a good job limiting Arizona St. to 7 points even without All-American LB Shayne Skov, who unfortunately is out the remainder of the year with a broken collarbone.

As Coach said, the Cardinals face off with the Beavers next. The defense will need a good week of practice in order to be ready for Jacquizz Rodgers and the Beavers high octane attack.

3. ticketp1

ticketp1 Walk On

Oregon St. 16 - Stanford 10

[​IMG]

Stanford lost a close one to Oregon St. this afternoon 16-10. It was a game that was dominated by both defenses, and ultimately won on special teams. The difference in the game was the Oregon St. kicker, who was 3-3 and connected on kicks of 42, 44 and 49. The same can't be said for the Stanford kicker who made one from 24, but missed one from 48 and 40 ultimately leading to the six point defeat for the Cardinals.

Coach Ticketp1 talked after the game, "We played well enough to win on defense, good enough on offense to be in the game, and bad enough to lose the game on special teams. We held one of the nations top backs to 54 yds. on 12 carries and forced Katz to beat us through the air, which in the end he did. I give Oregon St. all the credit in the world, they're a great team and in my mind the team to beat in the Pac 10. We'll have to go back to the drawing board after this one, and see what we can do on offense and especially special teams to improve and be ready for our next opponent."

The Cardinals travel to UCLA next to face off with the Bruins. They'll have to be much better on offense and special teams if they want to get back to Palo Alto with a win.

4. ticketp1

ticketp1 Walk On

Stanford 49 - UCLA 7

[​IMG]

Stanford traveled to UCLA last night and took care of business early and often to capture their 5th win of the season 49-7. It was a game that was never in doubt as Stanford totally dominated UCLA in all aspects of the game. The offense rolled up over 200 yds. rushing and right at 300 yds. passing, and the defense limited UCLA to 200 yds. passing and just 20 yds. on the ground.

Coach Ticketp1 talked after the game, "We got back to Stanford football tonight. I thought the offensive line did a much better job blocking and we ran the ball great which set up our passing game really well tonight. I thought we got away from the run to soon last week against Oregon St. and I wanted to make sure we established the run and stuck with it tonight. The defense played great again. We're starting to get really consistent on that side of the ball, and everyone has stepped up their game since we lost Skov for the season."

The Cardinal got a near perfect game game from their signal caller Nunes who was 19-21/295 yds/3 tds on the night. Three different RB's got in on the scoring action with Gaffney leading the way with 2 TD's. Taylor lead the team in rec out of the backfield with 6 catches for 86 yds. Arizona comes into Palo Alto next, and the Cardinals will look get another win in the Pac 10.