2011 Team Previews

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by -4-, Jul 10, 2011.

1. -4-

-4- Walk On

MICHIGAN STATE 2011 Season Preview

[​IMG]
    2011 will show how Michigan State can re-tool and reload after a season of surpassed expectations.

The Spartans will have a difficult time replacing deep threat receiver Mark Dell, tight end Charlie Gantt and three offensive linemen. Throw in arguably the most productive linebacker in Spartan history in Greg Jones, tackling machine Eric Gordon and shutdown secondary players Chris L. Rucker and Marcus Hyde, and that's quite a list of Spartans that you won't see in East Lansing for 2011.

That has many in Spartan country concerned as to how this team can once again exceed expectations and finally make it into the Rose Bowl or the BCS.

But, next season's offense will not be lacking in speed and talent at the skill positions in East Lansing.

The rushing attack continues to be the most exciting aspect going into the 2011 season, with the terrifying trio of Edwin Baker, Le'Veon Bell and Larry Caper.
    Mr. Efficiency Kirk Cousins returns for his senior season and will have to once again answer to his critics that he can be counted on to win the big time battles. His TD to INT ratio hovered around the same mark that it did in 2009, with 20 TD's to 10 INT's, and that will have to improve going into 2011.

Baker is undoubtedly going to be the No. 1 back going into 2011, but having power backs Bell and Caper behind him will only ease the load that's thrusted upon the junior's shoulders.

The three backs last season combined for nearly 2,000 yards, and if you throw in Keshawn Martin's yardage it exceeds it easily. While most teams will immediately key in on the run, those are the times Michigan State can beat you with the pass.

And there's plenty of weapons that Kirk Cousins can choose from through the air in 2011. One of which will be the speedy play maker Keshawn Martin, who can ignite a fire quickly through the air. TD receptions leader B.J. Cunningham is back for his final year in East Lansing. Throw in experienced former QB Keith Nichol and a bevy of young talent, and Cousins will have no problems tossing the rock to his skill position players.

The one thing that continues to haunt this unit at times is drops. Cunningham is getting better, but between him and Mark Dell there were too many times last season that saw either big plays negated by drops or important passes over the middle land on the turf because of ill-concentration or who the heck knows. Seniors don't drop big passes in big games, so you can guarantee that's an area being addressed in the offseason.

The biggest worry on the offensive side of the ball for MSU, lies with the Offensive line. All Big-Ten tackle D.J. Young and J'Michael Deane along with starting center John Stipek have all graduated and moved on, and they leave three holes that desperately need to be filled by capable big uglies.

The eye-opening points fest at the Capital One Bowl definitely leaves a negative feeling about the defense going into 2011, but last season the defense had a lot to be pleased with. Hovering right around the middle of the conference in total defense, fourth in scoring defense, and again being in the middle of the road in passing and rushing defense makes 2010 doesn't seem so bad after all.

But now the Spartans must replace two of the most productive linebackers in MSU history, and that leaves gaping holes to fill.

The line begins with rising star Jerel Worthy, who is already looking towards the NFL draft once he completes his junior season. Worthy is a freak of an athlete for being 6'3", 305, and he only appears to be getting better and bigger. Throw alongside him nose tackle Anthony White, and that's a middle no one wants to run into.

The ends are the area that need to be addressed the most. The Spartans will absolutely need junior Tyler Hoover to improve on his pass rush from last season. Just three sacks and 36 tackles will have to get much better as a starter for 2011.
    The youngster is still scratching the surface on his pass rushing and run stopping abilities, but if he can blast out of the gates quickly, there's no reason to believe he can start all 12 regular season games this year.

The obvious area of concern is at linebacker, without Jones and Gordon. One starter that does return is strong side LB Chris Norman. The junior had a solid 2010 season alongside the aforementioned seniors and will now be looked to as the leader in the central defense.

In the secondary, you will see immediately how good corner Johnny Adams is going to be next year. While CLR was the guy who got most of the pub, Adams made a name for himself by making 50 tackles and 3 INT's a year ago. Don't be fooled by his 5'11", 170-lb. frame, Adams will muscle you up at the line of scrimmage.

It's a defense that has a lot of worries but also star talent in the middle of the D-Line and in the secondary. If the defensive minded new head coach can figure out the linebacker situation, Michigan State may just have a dependable unit on the field to get stops.

2011 Season Prediction: 10-2 finish with a shot to play in the Inaugural Big Ten Championship game for a Rose Bowl berth.

2. Outspoknpoet

Outspoknpoet Shock and Awesome

New Look - New Attitude - New Coach
    Arizona State 2011 Preview

[​IMG]

Some of the most talked about uniforms are going to be filled with some of the most underrated players in the nation.

While it looks to be a year of promising possibilities, the Arizona State Sun Devils are coming off of a 6-6 season which saw them revamp their offense. Going from 8th in the PAC10 in 2009 to 15th in the nation in 2010. However, Steven Threet is history and now the team is on the shoulders of Junior QB, Brock Osweiler. While Osweiler stepped in for Threet last season and made a name for himself as a weapon in the passing game, this will be the first season for him to showcase himself as the full-time starter. He is going to most likely be backed up by Michael Eubank or Mike Bercovici.​

Eubank is a 4* recruit out of Corona Centennial HS in Corona, California. He is a 6'5" 232lb QB that some people are calling 'The Next Cam Newton'. Without the drama of money and other such worries.​

Bercovici has a long way to go before he is on the same level as Eubank. While his TD/INT ratio was impressive in HS it is still in doubt as to whether that will translate to success in the tough PAC12.​

The real threat this season might come from Sophomore HB, Deantre Lewis. The Norco, CA product ran for over 120 yards on only 9 carries against Wisconsin in 2010. This year... who knows?​

On the defensive side of the ball, the Sun Devils are starting to turn into a Linebacker's paradise. This corps is led by Junior MLB, Vontaze Burfict....

This man is a beast... And he is being projected to be drafted in the first round by my Cleveland Browns!​

Don't go thinking it stops with him. Senior WLB, Brandon Magee had 73 tackles in 2010 and looks to improve upon that as he is one of the fastest OLBs in the nation with 85 SPD and 88 ACC ratings this season.​

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMTGxlxzSwXbox OnetABIkzTPFNaTtN6L3kkhPAXadQKNgq-2nsmAC&t=1​
    The Defensive Backfield is going to be one of the biggest weaknesses for this team as they are rated extremely low (besides rSO, CB Osahon Irabor who was rated 85 OVR).​

The Wildcard?... The offensive line. While there are 4 Seniors started on the O-Line, they are relatively average. This is going to be a rather soft spot next season while it will be filled this season by 'stop gap' players, next season could be a big one in terms of recruiting for the Sun Devils O-Line.​

The prediction for the season?
    Arizona State looks poised to make a run for their division if they can manage to hold strong at their weakest points.​

Outspoknpoet's Prediction - 8-4​

Wins against Oregon State, Utah, Arizona, Colorado and UCLA should be easily within reach. I am expecting a close win over USC at home and possibly another close victory over Cal as they try to build themselves back into a contender.​

Losses could come in droves if Arizona State doesn't get their gameplan to work as Coach Poet tries to inject a new offensive scheme and work away from the Air Attack. Expect the Sun Devils to put up a good fight against Oregon, but LaMichael (I am too fukking fast) James to run all over the ASU defense... Unless Vontaze Burfict rips his head off first.​

Tough games that could result in losses will include Oregon and the other three games against fellow AGS coaches, especially Nautica - who has been trying to talk smack from behind those ugly purple uniforms of TCU.​

Are You Ready?...

• Like Like x 1
  3. JagNation

JagNation Walk On

New Coach- New Attitude- New Swag
    Oklahoma State Cowboys 2011 preview

[​IMG]

As we get geared up for football season, let us take a look ahead at what we can expect from the Oklahoma State Cowboys in 2011. Part 1 of our "3 keys to a good season" is "New Coach". During the offseason, the Athletic director made a shocking hire. He named Coach Jag the replacement for Coach Mike Gundy. Jag has been known as a "nomad" in terms of coaching over the past 5 years. After bouncing around as the deffensive coordinator for several teams, he finalt landed the head coaching job at UGA where he coached for 2 years. He then went to coach at the University of Florida. That lasted 2 seasons before he was fired. He now believes that he found a fit at Oklahoma State.

Part 2 of this equation is "New Attitude". Over the past few seasons leading up to Coach Gundy's firing, Ok State was known for their constant off the field troubles and a poor attitude on the field. Players weren't showing up for practice, the D was eating cheeseburgers on the sideline during practice, and they just had no desire to win and achieve success. It seems as if they have a sense of entitlement. Coach Jag should bring a new prospective to this subject. He is known as a hard worker, that only wants guys to play for his team if they have heart, and are constantly running at 150%. "Ive made it clear to everyone that we MUST change our attitude if we want to win. Every job is up for grabs. The guys that show up every day with the attitude of a winner, and show me that they deserve to be the starter will play." Jag told Erin Andrews in an interview. He insists that attitude is the key to a winning football team.

Part 3 of this equation is "New Swag". Over the past few years, the players have been walking around with their heads down, expecting to lose. Well all that is about ot change. Coach Jag has insisted that his players will walk, talk, and play like a champ. "I grew up watching the 1980's University of Miami football games. Those guys had swag. They knew that they were the baddest mother f*&ers on the field and they were going to beat you down. That is how I want my football team to operate." He told Erin Andrews in an interview.

Keys for the season:
    Offense- Ok State has arguablly the best wide reciver combo in the NCAA heading into 2011. With Hubert Anyiam, the speed guy who can burn you down the field, and Justin Blackmon, a big physical reciever who can go up and get any jump ball, it seems as if quarterback Brandon Weeden is going to be one happy guy. With Blackmon, who many are calling Fitzgerald 2.0, you have to atleast double-team him to slow him down a bit. And sometimes, that doesnt even stop him! He is a 6-1 beast that runs close to a 4.3. Blackmon drawing the double teams opens up many opportunities for the TE's, slot recievers, and also Hubert Anyiam. Anyiam is one of those guys that is just a pure speed deamon with great hands. There is no way to stop him.

Defense- The defense as a whole is going to be the key for Ok State this year. After losing many seniors last year, there are a ton of spots open. So over the season we should get to know some fresh, new faces that can emerge as stars. But the one player to watch out for is junior cb Brodrick Brown. Brown was second on the team last year with 64 solo tackles and he also had 2 picks. Look for those numbers to improve this season.

Season Prediction- 8-4

Well, it looks to be a promising season for these Cowboys! Coach Jag has got them fired up and ready to roll!

Just remember....

"Bein a Cowboy isn't a state of mind, it's a way of life"

Are you ready?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I am going to just come right out and say this; TCU WILL WIN A NC!

This Offense is loaded. They are not a very flashy group, but they know how to score points. Even with the loss of QB Andy Dalton, TCU won't miss a beat behind a very young, but very good So. QB.

The D is in the middle of the pack when it comes to youth, but they are a very strong unit anchored by 2 of the best LB's in D1 football. Its going to be interesting playing this year with 2 teams that run the 4-2-5 D.

I Predict that I go undefeated, and hopefully with some luck, make it to the NC game.

Sorry its not so flashy, I don't know a whole ton about TCU except for their D and their jerseys. Its going to be fun running with them, and recruiting within Texas is going to be fun.

5. SpartyUp

SpartyUp Walk On

MOUNTAINEERS FIND THEIR MAN

Ever since the departure of beloved coach Rich Rodriguez, the Mountaineer football program has experienced a bit of a falling off. But, West Virginia hopes to right the ship soon with the hiring of young head coach Nathan Thomas. The sought after High school coach signed a 4-year contract with the Mountaineers this morning and had this to say after news broke.

"Well, in the end it came down to Pittsburgh and West Virginia. But, I decided that I liked what Mountaineer country had to offer just a little bit more. I love the gameday atmosphere here in Morgantown and plan on bringing this program back to glory soon. I'm inexperienced with the spread offense, but I do plan to use our talent to our advantage this season. We are a pretty young squad, but what we do have is some speed at the skill positions. Our defense will be a work in progress, but we'll have the pieces in place soon to be a national title contender once again. I'm truly grateful for this opportunity and have no plans of letting anyone in the state of West Vriginia down." Thomas said.

• Like Like x 1
  6. -4-

-4- Walk On

What... did you have a dream about them last night or something?

Thanks though, now I can finish the stuff I need to do before we start this weekend.

7. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

Whats the start date for the OD boss man??

8. -4-

-4- Walk On

Im guessing Saturday. Maybe tomorrow if I have sliders figured out and there is a decent edited roster out.

Honestly the cpu is giving me lots of trouble on default AA when I am the inferior team. User games... not so much.

9. Outspoknpoet

I am ok with the sliders being fairly liquid during the first season. Change them as needed but don't jump to conclusions.

10. -4-

-4- Walk On

Yeah, I'm with ya... I'm going to be testing most of the day tomorrow since I have the day off. And I suspect we'll either start tomorrow night or Saturday sometime.

Anyone know if there is a solid edited roster out there yet? I haven't really looked around a lot today.

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I say leave them as is, they play pretty well. One thing I would say is to ban defensive assists like the play pass and play run.

12. -4-

-4- Walk On

Done... I don't ever use run commit, but I sometimes pass commit when it's like 3rd and more than 10 (about 25% of third down plays). I wrote that rule accordingly, but if the majority disagrees I'd have no problems with banning it entirely.

Also added a rule/guideline regarding game-planning.

13. Outspoknpoet

Less rules and more guidelines... Keeping it sim should be self-explanatory.... I know that can be rough for some people.

14. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

play the pass should still be allowed imo. with custom playbooks and just reading about all the shotgun formations and online games I've played passing is still way to easy. I don't want to play a game against someone with a loaded playbooks that throws 40-50 times a game. I've already done that 4 or 5 time online so far.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Outspoknpoet

I am fine with that... Just make sure that whatever you do in THIS league - mix up your play calling, etc.

16. joshwitt

joshwitt Walk On

Volunteers Strive to Find Identity In Year 1
    AP (Knoxville) The University of Tennessee Volunteers hope to find their identity in 2011 under first year alumnus head coach Josh Witt. The Vols will be lead by sophomore qb Tyler Bray who threw for 2000 yards as a second half starter last year. Tall and lanky, Bray made it a point to work out hard over the off season and put on some weight in an effort to allow him self to stay healthy for the duration of the season. Behind Bray, the backfield will feature a two headed attack of Taurean Poole and Rajion Neal. Poole, a senior, rushed for over 1000 yards last season behind a mostly freshman offensive line. Poole is a strong back who is hard to take down on first contact. Neal will be the change of pace back, featuring more of a slashing, cut and go style of running.

The receiving corps, like most of the team, is also young. Sophomores Da'Rick Rogers and Justin Hunter are looking to improve on their freshman campaigns and both have the speed to be down field threats. Senior Austin Rogers will serve as the possession receiver while true freshman Deanthony Arnette will also be called upon early and often.

The offensive line will be made up of mostly sophomores with lone junior Dallas Thomas at left tackle. Jerquari Schofield and Zachary Fulton will be at the guard spots with James Stone snapping the ball and Ja Wuan James at right tackle. The Vols will also feature two tight ends in many formations with freshman Cameron Clear and junior Mychal Rivera.

The defensive will be anchored by a strong secondary. Junior Janzen Jackson will be accompanied by Brent Brewer at the safety spots, allowing Prentiss Wagner to move back to corner opposite Marsalis Teague. Anthonyn Anderson and Art Evans should both see. Lot of time at corner as well.

The defensive line and linebackers will be the teams weakness, as they are both thin and inexperienced.

Overall, coach Josh Witt has said that he expects to compete in the SEC east and would be happy with a 9 win season. With only 7 seniors, Witt knows that his time is better spent developing the talent that he has rather than recruiting heavy for a small class.

---end of transmission---