2011 The Rise Scores

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2011 The Rise Scores

Post your game summary here, if you prefer your own thread, go ahead and keep doing it the old way, it does not matter to me. Do not just post scores, post at least 3 sentences explaining the game.

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Michigan State gets big win over Pitt

Michigan State 42

Pitt 24

Michigan State dominated the first 3 halves of the game, outscoring Pitt 42-9. Pitts opening possession was lost on a fumble in which Cousins immediately scored to go up 7-0. It was an ugly day for an offense rated better than the Spartans (A offense vs B defense) defense as the run game was effective but the passing game netted few yards (under 200yds). Cousins and Caper put on a huge show today, testing out the newly rated A- Spartan offense. Cousins would put up 5 passing TDs going over 300 yards passing. Caper would rush 15 times for 139 yards and a score. Cunningham lead the receiving core with 5 rec, 123 yds, and 2 TD. Greg Jones replacement T. Hammock would lead the defense with 7 solo tackles, followed closely by C. Norman who had 5 tackles, 2 of which were for a loss.

Coach Masler commented after the game: "I honestly expected more of a challenge, when we put them on our schedule it went from A- to A+. Even statistically they are better than us, but not today. We are going to make a statement this year."

Michigan State starts off 1-0 and has an early Bye Week 2.

Wire Highlights

1) Fumble on Opening Drive
    2) Cousins throws a TD
    3) Capers big run
    4) Mumphrey takes a pass 80 yards for the score

3. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Cincinnati 33
    Virginia 37

It appears I have taken over a team that has struggled recently. The Cavaliers have fallen to a :2stars: program and do not have a lot of talent on the team. I made a couple of moves on offense by naming Sophomore Michael Strauss the starting QB and Sophomore Dominique Wallace the starting half back. Strauss got the job because he has a little mobility and we are not sure how the line will hold up. Wallace is a big(232lbs) bruising tailback. Our defense is a little suspect and we hope he can help us play a ball control type of offense.

We opened our 2011 season by hosting the Cincinnati Bearcats. Early on everything was going our way. Strauss and Wallace combined to give us a nice opening drive that was capped off with a Wallace 1 yard TD run. Cincinnati's opening drive resulted in an INT that Chase Minnifield returned 81 yards for a TD. This put us up 14-0.

The next couple of quarters showed the Cavalier fan base what the coaches had been afraid of heading into the game, the defense was not able to stop anything. The Bearcats were moving the ball at will using their no huddle offense. Heading into the 4th quarter we still had a lead of 23-19.

Cincinnati's defense then created two turnovers on back to back possesion, but led to Bearcat TD's. 33-23 Cincy. With about 2 minutes left Strauss would go into a hurry up and quickly get us on the board with a 29 yard TD pass to Kevin Royal. We attempted the onside and failed. We were hoping to use our timeouts and get the ball back. That worked on first and 2nd down, but on 3rd down Cincinnati completed a pass to convert a first down, but fortunatley for us the WR fumbled the ball away. We still had a shot. Strauss again works the hurry up offense to perfection. He put us in the lead with a 1 yard TD pass to Jared Green with 20 seconds left.

The Bearcats were not finished yet. The quickly moved the ball to our 20 yard line and had one last attempt to put away the Cavaliers. Junior MLB Steve Greer would have none of it and intercepted the pass in the endzone to secure the Virginia victory.

Next week is not easy either as we travel to rival Florida State.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Now that's a write up...nice first win

5. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

UConn 37
    @ Baylor 17

A great start to the season after a horrible letdown of a season for last year. BOth the Defense and the Special teams were the factors behind todays big win. Senior Kicker Dave Teggart made 3 big field goals and 4 long punts to keep the pressure on the Bears throughout the game. The Huskies started down with a quick 14 point deficit, but then drove the ball down the field and never looked back. The two QB system for the Huskies worked pretty well with Cody Enders ( 14/28, 179 yards) and freshman QB Adam Burgess ( 5/13, 126 yards, TD).Senior HB Todmann didnt have many yards but gained some good tough yards for first downs. WR Malik Generett continues to make big catches as he ended the game with 6 catches for 100 yards.The new look Huskie D played well today with a few new faces. Senior DT Twyon Martin had 3 big sacks.

Huskie Freshman
    QB Adam Burgess (5/13, 126 yards, TD, INT)
    WR Jimmy Gore ( 1 dropped pass)
    ROLB Victor Mitchell( 2 tackles, FF, FR)

6. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Wow.

Northwestern - 49
    #9 Boston College - 28

This is going to be an interesting season.

On the first drive BC easily shredded the Northwestern defense and found themselves in the red zone. SOMEHOW, the NW defense picked off a pass destined to be a TD to change momentum. This and another INT would be the only highlights for the defense.

Anytime the NW offense had the ball it seemed to be an automatic TD. The offense seems very balanced with a fantastic O-line. That and add star HB Arby Fields to the equation and you have a offensive monster. This is the only reason NW won the game. That and the passing of QB Dan Persa (14-21, 308 Yards, 2 TDs) to returning starters TE Dunsmore and WR Ebert who all had fantastic games.

Much of the game was NW scoring the first two TDs and then BC coming back and then NW scoring and back and forth. Luckily, NW got the ball at half and pulled away to a 21 point lead. The BC defense couldn't do anything against the NW O.

However, BC QB Shinskie was ridiculously on fire with his WRs scoring twice on the same exact play at different times in the game from nearly in their own territory. Very very fast WRs and a pretty good HB kept them in the game the entire time (even Flutie's son).

I am at a weird point with my team. I am pretty sure I have the worst defense in the entire game (just based on the speed of my secondary) and one of the quickest and well-balanced offenses. It's going to be very up and down and I will bet that I will have to outscore more than defend anything.

Next week NW will have to play tough opponent Arizona.

Player of the game:

NW HB Arby Fields - 20 carries, 171 yards, 5 TDs (lots of Red Zone runs)

7. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

The Scarlet Knights Narrowly Escape a Loss in The Big House

Coach Fuzzy is still in disbelief after his Scarlet Knights somehow managed a win on the road in Michigan. It was nothing short of a miracle win, and Mo Sanu looks more impressive than ever.

Tom Savage connected with Sanu on a 58 yard fade route to put the first points on the board. Sanu's size and speed would continue to give the Michigan defense headaches through out the game. After that, it was all Michigan answering back with 10 points and shutting down the Scarlet Knight offense for the rest of the half.

The third quarter would continue to be all Michigan, as they put another TD and FG on the board and extended their lead to 20-7. Coach Fuzzy grew more and more nervous as the hostile environment grew louder. Savage and company tuned out the crowd and drove the ball down the field, ending with a 9 yard TD rush by Martinek. Going into the 4th it was 20-14 Michigan.

The 4th quarter was full of ESPN highlight reel material as Tom Savage aired the ball out and the Scarlet Knights put up 24 4th quarter points. Sanu and Harrison continued to beat their defender down the field, speeding right by them.

Game Stats:

[​IMG]

Check out all the highlights on the wire.

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Houston 14 UCLA 41

Coach Timpegoose was finally able to get his first win as head coach of the Bruins in a 41-14 demolition of the Houston Cougars. UCLA would go up 31-0 at halftime, and then pull their starters before the start of the 3rd quarter to avoid injury. The backups would come in and score 10 points in the 3rd quarter, while pounding the ball on the ground to try to run the clock. The Cougars would finally put up some points in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Bruins 14-0 in the 4th, and preventing the game from becoming too embarassing for the Cougars.

The Bruins running game was dominant, going for 258 yards and 3 touchdowns, and quarterback Kevin Prince would add 2 touchdowns through the air. Jonathan Franklin rushed for 136 yards on 19 carries, and backup Derrick Coleman rushed for 129 yards and 3 tds on 15 carries. Cotton Turner was fairly effective through the air for the Cougars, throwing for 229 yards, but he also through 2 ints and 0 tds. The Bruins defense forced 5 turnovers, most of which set the offense up with a short field. The Bruins looked like they could be a force to reckon with this season, but we'll find out with next week's test against Northwestern.

9. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Illinois 24
    Utah 21

Illinois played like shit the whole game but still managed to squeak out a win with last second FG. The defense gave up 300 yards of offense but luckily our offense was even strong with QB Scheelhasse throwing for over 300 yards alone. Illinois gets the close win to open the season.

10. TBrown80

TBrown80 Walk On

Vanderbilt 6
    Clemson 52

This game wasn't close at all. Their draws and delays started to get read pretty easily by my defense. WR Marquan Jones really came to life after a pretty disappointing 2010 campaign. I need a big season out of QB Kyle Parker. Last year, he threw way too many interceptions to be completely dependable.

HB Jamie Harper never really got it going and was pulled after the 2nd quarter.

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

has Keller played? Im tired of waiting

12. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Just kicked off. I'll be done asap.

13. Keller

ready to advance

14. Keller

Colorado @ Maryland

[​IMG]

The Colorado Rams visited College Park hoping to upset the Maryland Terrapins, a team that started hot last season but fizzled late and failed to beat a Stanford team in their bowl game. What the Rams found was a veteran team that wasn't willing to lay down after finding themselves in a quick 7-0 hole.

Save a few big plays, the Terrapin defense played lights out, holding the Rams to under a 1ypc average, under 250 yards total offense and just 7 points.

It was a 7-3 game until late in the 2nd half when, on 3rd and long, Senior QB J. Robinson audibled the Terrapin offense out of a screen and threw a 79 yard bomb to a completely uncovered Quintin McCree who was able to make a few moves in order to out run the defense for a score. Halftime score 10-7 Terrapins.

The second half the Terrapins came out running the football, finishing with over a hundred yards on the day, combined, on 33 carries. They capped off their first drive of the 2nd half on a 7 yard slant to senior captain WR Torrey Smith. The Terps never looked back, playing very good rush defense and keeping the Colorado offense in 3rd and long situations where they could tee off on the QB and maintain their lead. Also scoring on the day was Sophomore HB Caleb Porzel who scored on a 22 yard scamper in the 4th to seal the game.

The Terps look to try and take down the #6 ranked Clemson Tigers to whom they lost last year in overtime.

15. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

Boise State 34
    @ UConn 17

The Huskies did everything they could in this one but came up short. Turnovers and dropped passes were too much to overcome in the end.The huskie D just could not stop the running attack.

16. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

#21 Illinois 25
    Auburn 21

We had to pass about 5000 times this game just to move the ball. The run game was a joke throughout the first 3 quarters and we were forced to air it out in order to keep up with Auburn's hurry up spread. We finally got some solid running in the 4th to chew some clock and seal the win. The Illini head to Arizona St next week for another outmatched opponent.

17. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Virginia 24
    FSU 0

This was a huge win for a rebuilding Virginia program. FSU is a rival and we went into their house and outplayed them. All 3 Virginia TD's came in the 2nd quarter, 2 of which game with under a minute remaining in half. Strauss and the Cavalier offense got the ball with 1 minute to go and scored in only two plays. Strauss hit Green down the sideline for a 34 yard TD. On the ensueing kickoff, FSU wideout Bert Reed fumbled away the ball. Virgina then scored on the very next play when Strauss threw his 3rd TD of the game to Snyder for a 20 yard TD. This put us up 21-0 at the half.

The 2nd half saw FSU QB EJ Manuel struggle. He was rattled by the pressure brought by the Cavalier D. It was refreshing to see him have so much difficulty as I have FSU in another dynasty and he has struggled at times for me as well. The Virginia offense got conservative and relied heavily on Dominique Wallace. Wallace finished the game with 26 carries for 134 yards.

Player of the game: QB Michael Strauss 5-7 110 yards 3TD

Next week we host KoG Cheesdip and his UConn Huskies.

18. Masler

Masler Moderator

I am pushing the advance to 10:30 everyone, I forgot I am in class until 10. Seeing as I can't be in class and advancing at the same time...so everyone be ready by 10:30

19. Keller

Clemson @ Maryland

[​IMG]

The proof is in the pudding. Last season the Terrapins lost to Clemson in OT; the Tigers went on to a BCS bowl and a successful season, the Terrapins slumped their way out of the rankings and fell to 8-4 and lost their bowl game to Stanford, a team they beat earlier in the season.

The Tigers would be without their head coach and emotional leader due to a sex scandal in little old Greenbow, Alabama, of Forrest Gump fame. The loss of their coach proved to be too much for the Tigers, as they mustered very little offense.

The story of the day had to be Maryland's defense. Pitching a shutout they held Kyle Parker to 68 yards passing and only surrendered another 34 yards on the ground. Of course the defense's success might be attributed to being on the field such a short amount of time Saturday, as the Terrapin offense controlled the ball a little more than twice as long as Clemson offense.

Maryland wasn't particularly effective rushing or throwing, but they moved the chains enough to keep the fast paced Clemson attack on the sideline. You could also attribute Clemsons poor time of possession numbers to the failure of the scheme. The no huddle attack was simply not working against the stifling Maryland defense. A few interceptions were dropped that would have really swayed this game in Maryland's favor. The defense also capped off the impressive performance with a safety in the 4th quarter when MLB Murray sacked Kyle Parker.

Can the Clemson offense recover with the return of their coach? Will the sex scandal keep him out longer?

Can the Terps keep up their winning ways when The U comes to town next week? Can Senior QB Jamaar Robinson keep up his efficient command of the offense?

We'll find out next week!

20. Keller

The U @ Maryland

[​IMG]

Another day, another dollar. That the Terps motto for their second season under relative unknown Coach K. "Fun, yet a business like approach" to football, according to the Coach. It showed this week when the once heralded #16 ranked Miami Hurricanes came to town.

Senior captain QB Jamaar Robinson looked calm, in command and in Todd McShay's words, "silky smooth," this Saturday against a traditionally aggressive Miami defense. Coach K must be doing something right. What started off looking like an old fashioned "barn burner" turned into a thumping of Randy Shannon's glitz-blitz defense, a spin off from Jerry Glanville's Atlanta Falcons defense in the late 1970's.

In what can only be described as a microcosm of Coach K's overall success, the first half showed two teams that wanted to "Rochambeau" for bragging rights in the ACC. A certain stubborn fierceness in both teams was on display, each team slugging the other for a series then punting the ball away as if to say "now lets see what you've got." There wasn't a score in the game until Miami kicker Jake Wieclaw connected on a 20 yard field goal field goal with just 2:52 left in the half. Then, the gloves came off.

The Terps turned the tables. They came out in "Chupacabra," a trips right or left 4WR set that they ran to fantastic heights with on Saturday. The "silky smooth" Robinson connected on 2 TD's out of the formation to WR Quintin McCree to close out the 1st half. Miami fired back with a 17 yard strike to TE Dan Cooper, making it a 14-10 Maryland lead heading into the locker room. When they came out, they stepped on the throats of QB Jacory Harris and the Miami defense.

Miami didn't score a second half point and El Chupacabra laid waste to Miami defense that was once mentioned as being a top 10 defense in the country. 28 and 72 yard strikes to WR Ronnie Tyler and a 1yard run by Davin Meggett finished off the Hurricanes, ending the game 35-10. QB Jamaar Robinson finished the day with over 325 yards passing, a career high for him. After the game, coach K had this to say when I spoke to him.

"Glitz-blitz works great when you line up and say 'I'm going to hit you in the mouth harder than you can hit me in the mouth,' its like bringing a knife to a gun-fight. They bring more people than we can block, we can't move the ball, we look stupid out there. Then we said, well, we're going to put more guys out there than you can cover. I call it the Chupacabra, just has a nice ring to it I think." Then he chuckled, and walked away smoking his rich scented cigar.

Maybe they should change the name to Chupahuracan.

Maryland heads to Wake Forest next week.

21. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

The Scarlet Knights Suffer Heart-Breaking Loss

[​IMG]

The Scarlet Knights take a major blow to their national title hopes as they let one slip away against Stanford at home.

The 1st quarter was full of disasters for Rutgers. Tom Savage overthrew his man on the second play of the opening drive for an interception. Luckily the D held Stanford to a FG. The offense stalled again, and Stanford drove up the field for another FG. As if enough had not gone wrong already, the Scarlet Knights fumbled on their next possession resulting in a defensive Stanford TD.

Coach Fuzzy was seen throwing his headset down in frustration.

Determined not to give up, the offense managed to put together a successful drive capped off with a Tom Savage 35 yard TD pass to make up for his earlier INT. This tightened up the score 7-13. The Stanford passing attack did not relent, as Luck burned the Rutgers D right and left finding open targets. He connected with Chris Owusu for an easy 10 yard TD. The pressure was on as time was winding down in the first half and the Scarlet Knights found themselves losing 7-20 in front of a home crowd.

On this drive, Tom Savage would take a devastating hit as he got rid of the ball, injuring his shoulder and putting him out of action for the rest of the game. This was very bad news for the Scarlet Knight offense, as the backup QB is a freshman (Dodd) with very raw attributes and no playing time. Chas Dodd surprised everyone has he led the team down the field. He tried to hit his TE for an 8 yard TD before time expired, but it was arid throw. Rutgers had to settle for a FG, going into the second half losing 10-20.

The third quarter began explosively, as Martinek received a pitch on an option play and ran it in for a 74 yard TD. It was a game again. Stanford answered right back with an efficient drive and a TD of their own.

Dodd began to feel the pressure and play horribly in the 4th. He overthrew a wide open Sanu on a fade route, right to the Stanford D. He missed his target by about 15 yards. TE DC Jefferson begged the coach to go in at QB, as he was the starter in HS and certainly had a better arm than the freshman. Coach Fuzzy put him in, and he completed 2 of his attempted passes for 42 yards, one for a TD. It was 24-27 with not much time left. The Scarlet Knights kicked the ball off, the D hoping to make a big stop one more time. Stanford ran right at them, chewing up the clock on every play. The Scarlet Knight D was simply out of juice, and allowed 1 first down too many. Rutgers falls to 1-1 on the season in a 24-27 loss to Stanford in a soap opera of a game.

Watch out for Stanford guys, that coach is good. :eek:

22. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Arizona 31
    Northwestern 17

Northwestern's offense couldn't find their legs laid an egg against a bad Arizona defense. The Wildcats of the north obviously felt the effects of being without their coach for the game. The offense showed no rhythm and only managed 10 points. The other NW TD came on a fumble-6 in the 4th quarter and was meaningless towards the outcome.

The NW defense was almost as bad as the offense, but they were facing a much tougher task in stopping one of the nations top offenses and QB Nick Foles. Foles got Arizona out to a quick 2 score lead and coasted from there while the Arizona defense played their best game of coach JC's tenure.

23. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

This game was more strategic than being centered around player performances. If it wasn't for the fumble returned for a TD in the first Q that gave Stanford a 13-0 lead, this would have been a much different game. Stanford was basically trying to run out the clock un the 2nd half, while using accurate strikes from QB Anrew Luck to keep drives alive. When Rutgers would pull close, the Stanford offense would open up and strike back. But, in the end, turnovers tell the story of this outcome. Stanford 0, Rutgers 3.

Great game Rutgers.

24. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Yep. Northwestern's Defense is horrid. REALLY horrid. I can keep their offense average, but I can't do anything about their D.

25. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

KoG Cheesedip and I could not get connected to play our game. Not sure why, never had that happen before. It may need to be simmed.