2011 Week 5

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Dec 3, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2011 Week 5

We have advanced. Great job to everyone getting their games in before the deadline. Next advance will be:

Sunday 9pm EST

Week 5 standings
    1. UNC
    2. UF
    4. LSU
    8. VaTech
    10. Clemson
    13. UGA
    14. Maryland
    19. Tennessee (how are they still ranked lower than Georgia after beating them?)
    22. Bama
    24. FSU

National Headlines:

Go Big Orange! Knoxville is celebrating after a sweet victory over SEC rival #5 UGA

Shootout!
    Bama usually dominates at Bryant-Denny stadium, but Arkansas wins 52-47.

Conference Collision
    #2 UF set to do battle with #22 Alabama. This game looked like a big one in the preseason, but with back to back losses for Bama, this game has lost some luster.

Conference Crush! (Game of the Week!)
    #8 VaTech seeks revenge against #1 UNC. VaTech won last year to blemish the UNC record. Can they pull the upset again??? Can Jello finally solve the 4-2-5 riddle??? Can UNC win one in rowdy Blacksburg?

Starting In Style
    #3 WVU is highly focused on Big East opener and #9 Rutgers

Off on the Right Foot
    USC notches their first Pac-10 win of 2011 against Stanford

Laugher in Clemson
    Clemson explodes for 59 points against ACC rival BC.

Heisman Watch
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Player Pos Team Last Wk Stats
    B. McNeal WR Clemson 5 rec, 106 yds, TD
    J. Boykin WR VaTech 13 rec, 297 yds, TD
    C. Wilson TE UNC 5 rec, 97 yds, 3 TDs
    D. Thompson WR UF 5 rec, 144 yds, TD
    D. Meggett HB Terps 27 car, 154 yds, 3 TDs, 3 rec, 84 yds, TD

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

If all goes according to plan, dont be surprised if a 1 loss Auburn team sky rockets into the top 10 by the end of the year! (maybe top 5)

3. GoGators

Wow, I really find it interesting that LSU and Bama aren't squashing this chatter from the new coach about his unknown Auburn team.

4. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I'll likely write up the game of the week tonight, unc vs v-tech.

5. KnightNoles

This starts the week of:
    @ South Carolina
    @ Navy
    @ Arkansas
    @ LSU (ShortBus)
    @ Georgia (Hova)

damn and with all those away games, I have to wait for recruits to visit until week 10... non user team schedule by the CPU is For The Loss..

6. KnightNoles

Alright.... I hope Im not the only one but I just got GASHED to put it nicely. Im one to pride myself on defense and smother the opposition and its just not happenin. Either the RB Ability go down to 50 or user tacklin go to 45.. and heres why

[​IMG]
    This guy had a field day to put it nicely...​

E. Baker what the hell did he do you ask? Well he only rushed 30 times for a whopping 367 yards with a 12.2 average, 5 TDs and 10 BROken Tackles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yo!!!! That happened to me last year against NC State. Dude ran for around 300 on me, and then my defense couldnt stop the run against the CPU for the rest of the year. Hope this doesnt happen to you (well maybe in C2C, but thats another story)

8. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

conservative on big hits can help with missed tackles

9. KnightNoles

Well considering that Aggressive is banned, everything on defense that I play is balanced straight green

10. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

conservative is blue. much like conservative catching prevents drops, conservative tackling helps with missed tackles.

In other news,

Cat stepped on my power supply. There is going to be a restart this week. not enough time to get my game in tonight. I will play it tomorrow(well I guess thats today now).

I know it sounds like the lamest excuse ever. She likes the heat from the computer. The power strip is behind the computer.

sorry

11. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Clemson - 66
    Wake Forest - 7

I know, I know...hate away. Now back to the program...

Clemson faced off against Wake Forest in Week 5. All-American Jamie Harper found it tough to run between the tackles (or outside for that matter) and was largely held in check by the Wake Forest defense. Although he rushed for 103 yards, it took him 29 attempts to reach that plateau. With the defense focused on the running game, Clemson took to the air in a major way. Willy Korn (aside from an errant pass) had a great game, throwing for 311 yards on 16/25 passing. Heisman front runner Bryce McNeal (Minnesota represent!) had his best game of the year, catching short pass after short pass before going up top to put the exclamation point on a great game. He finished with 6 catches for 152 yards and a score in about a half of play.

On defense, Clemson was aided by the ineffective play of Skylar Jones. Jones, known for his athleticism, was unable to place the ball where it needed to be on this Saturday. He finished 10/28 for 85 yards with a 0/2 ratio.

Despite the score of the game, the highlight of the day actually came from Wake Forest. RB Brandon Pendergrass took a sweep and broke 2 tackles and ended up with a 95 yard touchdown run before the end of the first half. Pendergrass, the lone bright spot for the Demon Deacons, ran for 150 yards on only 15 carries.

Next week, UNC comes to Death Valley to face the Tigers. Fresh off their loss to the Hokies, you can be sure that the Tarheels will be hungry for a win. Can the Tigers stop the vaunted UNC counter play? Tune in next week to find out.

12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I figured that VT would've posted a summary by now after beating the #1 team in the country, but here goes (with a UNC slant of course).

Tar Heels Defense Finally Lives Up to Potential

Thanks to a 1st half interception thrown by Mike Paulus, UNC would play catch up for the entire game. Unfortunately, their defense, which has been almost respectable so far this year, finally fulfilled their promise as they were incapable of getting the Hokie offense off the field. VT never had to punt the ball the entire game and they were only forced into 5 3rd down attempts. VT completed 22 of 28 passes, threw for 339 yards, and ran for 179.

Midway through the 3rd quarter, VT would take a 31-17 lead before UNC would finally decide to attempt a comeback. On the day, the UNC offense, like the defense, lived up to their potential. Fortunately, the potential of the UNC offense vastly exceeds the potential of our defense. Later in the game, because of the deficit, UNC went into pass only mode. Before this, however, UNC was able to run the ball well. They rushed for 159 yards, led by 155 from Ryan Houston. Mike Paulus would forget about his early interception and throw the ball well for the entire game. He ended up with 381 yards and 4 TDs with the 1 INT on the game. UNC's receivers were once again led by surprising early season Heisman candidate TE Christian Wilson with 9 catches for 151 yards and a TD and 6'5 WR Rashad Mason who caught 7 passes for 108 yards and 2 TDs.

Trailing 31-17 midway through the 3rd, UNC made a comeback, helped by JuJuJuJu's 2nd INT of the game. They would connect on 2 TD passes in the 4th quarter to finally tie the game up # 38 with 2:39 left in the quarter. As was the case the entire game, UNC's defense couldn't get off the field and VT marched down the field. UNC's defense finally showed a little bit of back bone as they held VT to a FG with 22 seconds remaining. UNC had burned all of their TOs on that last VT drive so they had to try to get into FG range in 22 seconds. They had a couple of incomplete passes and 2 completions that got them to about the VT 20 yard line as time expired. If there had been 5 more seconds remaining, they could've spiked the ball and kicked the tying FG, but there wasn't.

Once again UNC can't figure out VT and VT will sail into the ACC championship game for the 3rd straight year. Next week UNC's terrible defense is going to take on #10 Clemson who is leading the nation in scoring with 143 PPG, #2 in the country in total offense, and #1 in rushing offense. If UNC can hold the Tigers below the century mark, we will consider this a success.

Box Score
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    UNC 7 10 7 14 38
    VT 7 14 17 3 41

Game Statistics
    Stat UNC VT
    Score 38 41
    First Downs 23 23
    Total Offense 540 518
    Rushes-Yards-TDs 27-159-1 29-179-4
    Comp-Att-TD 22-36-4 22-28-1
    Passing Yards 381 339
    3rd Down Conv 7-9(77%) 3-5(60%)
    Turnovers 1 2
    T.O.P. 14:46 13:36

Players of the Game
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    UNC M. Paulus 22/36, 381 yards, 4 TD
    VT R. Williams 26 car, 165 yards, 3 TD

13. GoGators

WOW!!! VaTech has UNC's number again. The trip to blacksburg proved to be too much for the Tar Heels to handle. Looks like coach Jello has more recruiting to do.

Props to VaTech, you can smell the sentiment coming from Jello's every word in this write up.

On a side note, it looks like we are racking up ridiculous offensive numbers so far this season. You guys combined for 1000+ yards of offense. I think we're going to need to turn the defenses AI up a smidge.

14. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Hey i know im not in ur dynasty but i thought user vs user games used default sliders?Did EA patch that or something?

15. GoGators

I'm not sure, but it seems that with our new sliders we're getting much bigger offensive statistics from user vs user games.

16. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Thanks for the right up. It was past my bedtime last nite after the game, so I was going to get a write up in later tonite. But you obviously tell a better story than I do.

Forgot to mention the first INT Clayton threw was in the endzone before the end of the 1st half. That really kept you in striking distance. UNC's running game was pretty much unstoppable. If it wasn't for the early turnover and Va Tech building that early lead, Hokie nation would have been sweating hard.

My balanced attack kept the chains moving with a solid running game and short passing attack although WR Jarret Boykin was limited. On the downside the Hokies D looked very vulnerable. UNC was a great team and will definately still be in contention for an at large BCS bid. Luckily the Hokies get a bye week before their big matchup with the Gators.

17. jello1717

Firstly, sliders don't affect user games. Those numbers were all put up with default sliders.

Secondly, by far the most telling stat of the game was the fact that VT only had to attempt 5 freakin' 3rd downs all game! They were unstoppable on 1st and 2nd down.

Thirdly, I forgot that that 1st INT came at the goal line. You're right. That kept me in the game. You get that TD and it's lights out right there (especially with you getting the ball 1st in the 2nd).

Fourthly, I'm proud as hell of my rushing game last night. In our 1st meeting, your 4-2-5 completely shut down my running game and I couldn't rush at all. Ryan Houston up the gut last night ran the ball very, very well. That's by far the biggest improvement we made compared to when we played you last year.

Fifthly (wow, that passes spell check), I've said all season long how bad my defense is. I checked it out this morning. I have the worst rated (by that I mean their combined letter grade) defense of all 6 ACC user teams. I might have the worst one of all 12 user teams, but I don't have head-to-head games with Tennessee or Auburn to see who gets the "arrow" for having the better one. The (former) #1 team in the country's defense is no better (and possibly worse) than an Auburn team that has had 2 years of CPU recruiting! I'm really scared to see how they handle Clemson next week. There's a saying coming to my mind right now. Something about "championships" and "defense." Maybe there's a "wins" in there somewhere too.

Sixthly, Boykin was limited because I was keying on him on almost every play, including that last interception you threw trying to get it to him. I could tell you were also keying on my TE, but I got stubborn and kept going to him anyway. Your #2 WR came up big for you with me attempting to put the clamps on Boykin.

Seventhly (AH! The first one to fail spell check), I can only imagine what kind of numbers Ryan Houston would've put up if I could've kept the game close enough to continue running him.

18. jello1717

Oh yeah. I want to clarify my "sliders don't affect user games" comment. In another OD, JFosh and I tested this theory. I created an OD and we played a game as Michigan vs. Alabama. I turned every offensive slider to 100 and every defensive slider to 0. The game played just like every other user game. If sliders did have an effect, our O-line would've been pancaking defenders left and right with 100 run blocking, our RBs would've been speed demons with 100 RBA, etc. We both agreed that there was 0% chance that those crazy sliders were affecting our game at all.

19. GoGators

Did you guys test that after the latest patch?

20. jello1717

21. Hokie Effect

When you Key a reciever and make a play on the ball, either pass deflect or INT. Will the Playing the Pass icon pop up?

Because that happened to both of us and I didn't know if its because we keyed the reciever or accidently hit the key pass. I thought I was accidently hitting it and actually jumped offsides on purpose the next play. I just wanted to be sure for future reference with the bans on defensive keys.

22. jello1717

If you play the pass (which isn't allowed), all of your DBs will kind of go back and if you defend it, you get a strategy "play the pass" pop up. If you key on a specific receiver (which is allowed) all of your DBs kind of gravitate towards him at the beginning of the play and if you defend a pass to that guy, and that guy only, you'll get the same strategy "play the pass" thing pop up.

Your first "play the pass" was probably an accidental "play the pass." Your 2nd "play the pass" was from you keying on my TE. My "play the pass" was from me keying on Boykin.

23. KnightNoles

I dont think I have ever had a "play the pass" message come up when I key a receiver.
    And I key a receiver every play.

24. jello1717

Are you signed up for season showdown? If not, you won't ever get it as it's a season showdown thing.

25. Hokie Effect

So I didn't have to jump offsides. At least those 5yds didn't come back to haunt me and now I know not to wig out when I see the "play the pass" icon. Thanks for the clarification.