2012 ACC Conference Championship Preview

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Feb 22, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2012 ACC Conference Championship Preview

ACC

Virginia Tech
    vs.
    Clemson

Clemson comes into this game trying to continue their undefeated streak and reach their first national championship game under Coach Beazus. Standing in his way is the late charging VaTech Hokies. The Hokies are coming into this game hoping a big win over the #1 team in the land may be enough to catapult them into Coach Hokie's 2nd BCS game (his last was in 09).

This game has some very interesting storylines. Clemson is a statistical monster. They run a very balanced attack but all season they've relied heavily on QB Kyle Parker, their leading heisman candidate to make big plays with his arm when needed. However, Parker is still injured and unlikely to suit up in this one. Clemson's backup has been able to win games while filling in, but he hasn't been as effective under center as Parker was. Thankfully, Clemson has big time playmakers at WR to bridge the gap. Clemson will definitely come into this one relying on their running game led by Andre Ellington to lead them to victory.

If there's ever been a more contrasting style, VaTech comes into this team with the exact opposite of what Clemson's problems are. VaTech is healthy as star HB RW Sweetness has recently returned from his suspension and has looked like a monster. VaTech relies on two very capable QB's in Exom and Clayton so an injury to either isn't a big deal. VaTech also uses multiple RBs so their depth is an advantage. It's been an interesting season for VaTech as they've been inconsistent at times offensively. They destroyed rival UNC early only to get destroyed by FSU weeks later. As a result, Coach Hokie has gotten away from the run heavy offense and has become more balanced the past few weeks. Look for that to continue as the Hokies try to knock off the Tigers next weekend.

Can't comment on the defenses yet. Will do this later.

Should be enough to get some chatter going. Let's hear from the fans and what their predictions and analysis are. Also, Coach Hokie and Beazus, don't be afraid to post a little bulletin board material for the other team.

Also, someone feel free to write up the SEC championship game preview. I'm biased so I can't do it haha.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

A very interesting game but I'm feelin Beazus has some left in the gas tank and since his loss to me in C2C he has been playin like a different animal.

Maybe we can get a guy that has played both Florida and auburn to do the sec write up or one of those ACC losers can do it...

3. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I am pulling for beazus...nothing against you Hokie, it's just that with beazus beating me like he did this season, i don't want him to lose.
    Clemson by 10.

4. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

I think the preview is accurate but Tajh Boyd played well in his biggest game to date (@ FSU) so expect him to give yet another solid performance when it counts. Im not sure what Clemson's strategy will be, but expect them to add another wrinkle to the Minnesota playbook to keep the VT defense off balance.

5. GoGators

This game really won't be about Clemson's offense. It will be about their defense and their ability to contain the triple option. UNC was unable to do this and they got clobbered. FSU was able to do this and they made the Hokies look silly.

Controlling the ball and the game by running the ball can create a huge advantage (listen to me when I run the ball the least haha). Clemson has to focus on stopping the run on 1st and 2nd downs forcing VaTech into 3rd and long situations. If they don't do this, VaTech will be able to display it's full arsenal on 2nd/3rd and short and that's just too much to handle from that offense. Clemson will also need to be prepared for a lot of play actions and roll outs that will stretch the defense and put the Clemson D in a tough position against such an athletic QB duo. I'd think a spy will be required all game long.

On the other side of the coin, if VaTech can't control the ball and time of possession, then they'll be leaving their defense out to dry against Clemson's potent smash mouth Big 10 style which is never a good thing. Clemson is very capable of playing small ball and grounding their opponent into the dirt. Also, don't be surprised to see Clemson roll the dice as coach Beazus has shown he has big cajones going for two in multiple key situations this year. The media hasn't heard much from VaTech's defense this season so I'm skeptical. Their only talking head has been RW Sweetness and he's gotten himself into more trouble this year than anything else posing as the next Ocho Cinco. I've never thought of it before, but is the heavy running attack VaTech implemented this season something their doing to make up for a spotty defense??? I'll have to check the scouting reports and get back to you on that one.

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

The Virginia Tech offense has been talked about alot and for good reason. The switch to an option offense this year may have raised some eyebrows, but it has proven success for the majority of the year. The offense is also starting to develop to a more balanced attack as both QB's Exum and Clayton have thrown the ball well the scond half of the season. So the question is how good can an option based offense be. The Hokies offense ranks #1 in total offense and #2 scoring offense. There one downfall offensively is their inability to hold on to the ball, turning the ball over 27 times with a -1 TO ratio.

Now the question about the defensive.....the switch to the 3-3-5 may not have been the smartest move as the Hokies defense has been inconsistnet as best. The defense has been playing alot better the second half of the season as they are putting more pressure on the QB, recording sacks, and forcing TO's. Overall I do think this is a better team now than the one Clemson faced earlier this year and lets not forget Sweetness did not play that game.

Clemson should be favored, but I do think this game will be closer than critics think and may come down to the last possession. With Parker out VT has a chance, as he ate up the Tech secondary in their first meeting. So with an "unbiased" opinion the score will be 34-31.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The option offense is tough to contain. Clemson though has the firepower to withstand a few couple of blows here against VaTech.

Clemson wins here.

8. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I agree. Clemson has proven they've been able to do it all season long. This game will be no different.

9. Hokie Effect

Virginia Tech RB Sweetness released this statement today to the media when asked about the upcoming match up with Clemson in the ACCCG.

"Gaurantee. I gaurantee a win against Clemson. The Hokies will be ACC champs. And to ensure victory coach has granted my wishes to play both offense and defense this game."

Coach Hokie was unavailable for comment......

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Here's to Clemson for beating the shit outta the Hokies!

[​IMG]

11. GoGators

Here's to a school teacher in Virginia not knowing how to spell guarantee!!!

:beernana:

12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Someone needs to get Ryan Williams out of the weight room and into the classroom and teach his ass how to spell!

VT wins the ACC championship. Clemson is in the weak Atlantic division and will have flashbacks to last year's CCG when the Heels went to the Orange Bowl.

Let's go Coastal!

13. Hokie Effect

Damn I knew it didn't look right.....you forget I teach PE.

14. Beazus Christ

Hold up...RW is playing both ways? Oh man this should be interesting...

15. GoGators

Need to make sure he's in a position in which he fits the required weight and speed restrictions. I'm thinking that means he can only play in the secondary.

16. Hokie Effect

He will be #2 SS in my 3-3-5 set.....he is rated a 40ovr, but there is not rating for heart.

17. GoGators

Like I said, so long as he meets the required weight and speed restrictions it's fine.

18. Beazus Christ

Geez if that fucker picks me off Ill fucking shoot RW on site