2012 Boomer Sooners

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

2012 Boomer Sooners

Questionable Call and a Sooner Loss

[​IMG]

With a new Coach the Sooners take on the Longhorns in the bitter Red River Rivalry. Sooners have the advantage with A+'s across the board.

Texas takes the ball first and this one is under way. They get nowhere and punt the ball. Sooners have no trouble getting the ball into the endzone. 7-0. On 4th down and goal the Longhorns barely get the TD and I mean barely. 7-7. End of the first.

Sooners are forced to punt. Longhorns get a long pass TD. 7-14. Sooners respond with their own long TD pass. 14-14. Texas goes 3 and out. Sooners punt as well. This quarter has been a defensive battle. Texas makes a FG and regains the narrow lead. 14-17.

Halftime

After a great kick return to the Texas 30 yard line, Oklahoma easily rushes it in. 21-17. Texas tries to respond but cannot, 3 and out. Longhorns pick 6 on the next play after a bad throw upon being hit. 21-24. Sooners get picked off again but a pass interference call saves them. Reynolds hauls in his second to help regain the lead. 28-24. End of the third.

Texas scores on a short option. 31-28. In double coverage Miller hauls one right in, I'm not sure how he even caught it. 35-31. Longhorns launch an all out air assault and score without breaking a sweat. 35-38. Sooners fail to score and Texas gets the ball back. They have no troubles adding more points and go up by 6 with the FG. 35-41. Sooners lose on a fumble that wasn't actually a fumble but with less than 2 min I couldn't challenge and the booth refused to review.

"Not a good way to start, I still think we deserve a review, " commented Coach.

This will most likely knock OU out of the rankings and drop them to 2-3 (0-2). A Big 12 Championship looks bleak this year. They head to Kansas State next week for another Big 12 matchup.

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    Texas 7 10 7 17 41
    OU 7 7 14 7 35

Notable Stats

J. Thomas 17/34, 260 yds, 3 TD

J. Miller 27 Att, 123 yds, 2 TD

D. Miller 5 Rec, 89 yds, 1 TD

J. Reynolds 4 Rec, 103 yds, 2 TD

J. Ibiloye 10 Tack, 1 TFl

Defense overall forced 6 Sacks.

Video evidence I didn't actually fumble:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahkFV7zTcX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahkFV7zTcX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sooners notch first win with new coach.​

The Sooners head on the road this week to face Kansas State. They are thirsty for their first win in the Big 12 in hopes of getting back into the race.

Sooners take the ball first and here we go. It only takes 4 plays to reach the endzone. 7-0. Sooners defense makes easy work of KSU, forcing a turnover on downs. Sooners find the endzone again. 14-0. Kansas St is forced 3 and out but OU fumbles on the punt return. A challenge reverses the play. Miller rushes one in, PAT is no good. 20-0. End the First.

Yet another punt for KSU. Sooners throw a pick 6 and the shutout ends. 20-7. Miller catches one and burns the secondary. 27-7. A long TD run gives KSU more points. 27-14. Miller shows running skills of his own. 34-14. KSU gets 3 as the half ends. 34-17.

Halftime.

Kansas State get the balls to open up and make a good drive but still give it back on a punt. OU punts as well. Kansas St falls horribly under the pass rush and gets backed up into their endzone. With the starting QB hurt on the previous play the backup comes out and gets sacked, OU gets the safety. 36-17. End the Third.

OU gets denied points. KSU is once again backed up against their own endzone. They managed to escape a safety and punt. A simple ground game gets OU another TD. 43-17. Kansas St has another failing drive and OU drains the clock. Final Score 43-17.

Masler commented afterwards, "I like what I see from my team today. Both sides of the ball were well controlled. Couple slopply plays but overall a very smooth game. We aren't done with the Big 12 yet."

Oklahoma bounces back after the loss to Texas. They jump up to 3-3 (1-2). They host Kansas next week.

Box Score

OU 20 14 2 7 43
    KSU 0 17 0 0 17

Notable Stats:

J. Thomas 17/23, 291 yds, 3 TD

J. Miller 33 Att, 177 yds, 3 TD

J. Reynolds 4 Rec, 71 yds, 1 TD

D. Miller 4 Rec, 116 yds, 1 TD

D. King 9 Tack, 7 TFL, 4 Sack

The defense played very well today. Holding the Wildcats to only 178 yds of total offense (136 passing, 42 rushing).

[​IMG]

Picture of the safety. Looks like the QB is going "NOOOOO!!"

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Norman is rocking!​

The Jayhawks of Kansas arrive in Norman this week to play the Sooners.

Kansas takes the ball first and scores quick. 0-7. Oklahoma responds in 4 plays to tie it up. 7-7. KU attempts to go for it on 4th and short and the Qb gets sacked hard. Miller shreds the defensive line and runs it in 14-7. King (DE) picks off after a hit (user pick). He doesn't make it to the endzone but there are only about 5 yards to go. Miller takes it in. 21-7. End of the first.

The TE hauls one in . 28-7. Kansas' HB destroys the defense with ease. 28-14. Another TD for the Sooners. 35-14. KU's HB gets in the endzone once again, but the Jayhawks lose their QB for the game. 35-21. End of the half.

Halftime

Sooners get the ball first and look to extend to lead. Which they do almost effortlessly. 42-21. Sooners force a punt and chew the clock. No passing plays this drive as the running game powers over the line for another score. 49-21. Kansas makes a drive and scores 3. 49-24. End of the third.

Sooners sub in the 2nd team offense to handle the 4th quarter. They held off the Jayhawks and ran off the clock. No score in the 4th. Final Score 49-24.

Coach Comments:"Great game for us, I think my team is finally getting used to my playcalling scheme."

Sooner rise to 4-3(2-2). They travel on the road to face a tough #9 Oklahoma State in the in-state rivalry.

Box Score

KU 7 14 3 0 24
    OU 21 14 14 0 49

Notable Stats:

J. Thomas Rating 321.1, 12/14, 259 yds, 4 TD

J. Miller 37 Att, 206 yds, 3 TD

D. Miller 2 Rec, 101 yds, 2 TD

J. Hanna 3 Rec, 56 yds, 1 TD

Defense had: 3 Sacks, 2 INT

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

[​IMG]

Another storied rivalry on the Sooners schedule. This time the Cowboys host the Sooners.

Cowboys get the ball first and drive to the redzone and throw a pick. Sooners have a stalling drive. OSU drive gets them 6. 0-7. OU throws their own pick. Cowboys fumble on their next drive after the WR gets slammed. It takes one play to score a TD and the Sooners are back. 7-7. Sooners defense hardens and force a 3 and out.

OSU gets the ball right back as the returner appears to be picking flowers and muffs the kick. They go for it on 4th and 1, which they shouldn't but the CPU can't grasp the concept of cheesing. Barry Sanders scores another. 7-14. Another fumble strikes OU. But they get lucky and hold them off on 4th down. The run helps the Sooners make it to the endzone. 14-14. Sooners hold the Cowboys to 3. 14-17. They tie it right as the half expires. 17-17.

Halftime

Sooners get the ball first in the half. It doesn't take long for them to put up points either. 24-17. Cowboys go 3 and out. Sooners throw another pick. Cowboys convert on another 4th down, apparently they've never heard of special teams. They miss their field goal. 24-17. OU throws their 3rd pick and OSU get 6 more on the board with the next play. 24-24. A 4th pick, the QB is blowing it. 24-31. A 5th pick, another pick 6. This is rediculous, this one was not even supposed to be throw, I hit x and it threw to y. End of the third.

A 6th pick is thrown. Not happy. Then Barry Sanders Jr eats the defense alive. 24-45. Then big surprise the Qb throws another pick. End of the game.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sooners upset #17 Aggies​

After a disaster with Oklahoma State, the Sooners look to bounce back against the Aggies. The Game is on the road in the Home of the 12th Man.

Sooners lose the toss and the Aggies defer. Sooners HB Miller gets knocked out for the game one play into the game. It's up to the backup now. QB redeems himself by throwing a beautiful TD, but this game isn't over yet. 7-0. Sooner force heavy pass rush and the Aggies throw a pick. Sooners score immediately. 14-0. Aggies miss their Fg and the Sooners backup scores. 21-0. End of the First.

Aggies finally get on the board. 21-7. Another OU TD, but miss the PAT. 27-7. 3 and out for the Aggies. But they pick 6 the Sooners. 27-14. They score on their next drive and make it close. 27-21. OU throws another TD. 34-21. The Backup HB gets hurt for 4 weeks, leaving the Sooners using their 3rd String.

Halftime

Aggies get the ball, drive down and get 3. 34-24. Sooners have to settle for 3 as well. 37-24. Backup HB runs one in. 44-24. Aggies take just 3 plays to score. 44-31. End of the Third.

Sooners force a fumble. 3rd String HB leads another great drive, really impressing Coach Masler. 51-31. Aggies refuse to go down without a fight and score again. 51-38. 3rd String HB runs in his 2nd. 58-38. Clock runs out on the Aggies and the Sooner shut up the 12th man and seal the upset.

Coach Comments: "Our efficiency in the redzone (100%) was outstanding today, Thomas threw a pick but that's 6 less than last week. He played great overall today. Now it's back to Norman to face a hostile Nebraska."

The Sooners improve to 5-4(3-3). They host Hova and his Cornhuskers next week at home. This game will definetely test Oklahoma and their new coach, especially with how stacked they are at linebacker.

Box Score

OU 21 13 10 14 58
    TAMU 0 21 10 7 38

Notable Stats:

J. Thomas 26/40, 405 yds, 3 TD

R. Charles 19 Att, 115 yds, 2 TD

A. Richardson 11 Att, 51 yds, 2 TD

J. Atkins 6 Rec, 88 yds

D. Miller 6 Rec, 118 yds, 3 TD

J. Reynolds 5 Rec, 113 yds

D. Hurst 12 Tack

D. King 7 Tack, 5 TFL, 5 Sack

Defense Overall gets: 5 Sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF, and 1 FR.

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sooners pitch shut-out.

A week after Nebraska embarasses the Sooners at home, the Sooners bounce back and prove they are still a great team. They dominated on both sides of the ball. Baylor could not get anything going, not even getting into the redzone once. This win brings the Sooners to 6-5 (4-4) and earns them bowl eligibility. Bowl Predictions have not yet been released.

Coach Comments: "We played great, wish I could see that every week."

Box Score

OU 14 21 14 7 56
    Bay 0 0 0 0 0

Notable Stats

J. Thomas 25/31, 429 yds, 3 TD

J. Miller 35 Att, 176 ydsm, 4 TD

J. Reynolds 7 Rec, 176 yds, 1 TD (honestly didn't realize I threw to him that much...my bad)

D. Miller 5 Rec, 60 yds, 2 TD

D. King 12 Tack, 6 TFL, 5 Sack

The Sooners defense held the Bears to only 148 yds total offense and 3/14 on 3rd downs (21%). They will finish off the season in the Rose Bowl against the UCLA Bruins.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Oklahoma loses heartbreaker.

Oklahoma - 56

UCLA - 63

After being up 14-0 in the first 3 min of the game, OU is suddenly greeted with a UCLA offense that seems steroid induced. They get perfect blocks and perfect throws all game. Throw in OU missing their tackles left and right and you get 63 points. The Sooners offense was excellent as well with the QB and two main WR breaking a couple records. I think passing was the only way to keep up with UCLA. Neither defense was able to stop much but UCLA wins the turnover battle with 4 picks and a couple of FF, but neither fumbles were recovered by UCLA. The OU run game wasn't very potent, the QB had more yards than the HB because the pressure was so intense that the line didn't provide much protection, but the HB still got a couple TDs.

With like a minute left the Sooner had UCLA to 3 and 9. The DE hits the HB in the backfield, only to slide off him like the dude is covered in Vasoline and they get the first down and crush the Sooners hopes of forcing OT.

Oklahoma finished the regular season 6-6(4-4). They are currently projected to play in the Texas Bowl vs Southern Miss.

Coach Comments: "I have to say the loss is extremely frustrating but, I couldn't have asked any better of my offense. They had a few turnovers but still put up 56 points. As for my defense, I am ashamed. Several opportunities presented themseles and my boys couldn't capitalize. We are lucky to even be in a bowl this year. I can only hope next season will produce better results. We can now just hope for a Bowl Win."

Box Score

OU 14 14 14 14 56
    UCLA 7 28 14 14 63

Notable Stats:

J. Thomas 23-47, 478 yds, 6 TD

J. Miller 11 Car, 56 yds, 2 TD

D. Miller 6 Rec, 142 yds, 3 TD

J. Reynolds 6 Rec, 161 yds

C. Davis 3 Rec, 35 yds, 2 TD

Only highlight from the defense was 1 interception and a couple of players with 10+ tackles.

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sooners come back to win!!​

Some may say, PetroSun Independence Bowl is not really that big of a Bowl. But with Oklahoma (6-6) and #9 Alabama (8-4) as the teams, many eyes were on the TVs today.

After going down 31-14 before halftime Oklahoma rallies to win in the last seconds. Plagued by interceptions, dropped passes and no running game the Crimson Tide looked dominant and took an early lead. Coach Masler had an inspiring speech in the locker room at half time:

"I know we've made countless mistakes today. We are only down by 3 scores. We get the ball back at the half. We need to score, ok? We are Sooners, our season hasn't been the greatest, so let's go out with a bang. Let's do this. Let's win this and show the Tide we aren't done yet! We still have 14 minutes! Boys, we are about to create a miracle!!"

And create one they did. they proceeded to score 21 unanswered points, plagued by more picks still. But Masler kept faith in his QB and the QB was the hero. With 7 seconds left Thomas and company were in the redzone. They called a pass and all receivers were covered, so Thomas took off and barely broke the plain. But that's all they needed to get the lead for the first time. The PAT was good. Bama attempted to run it back in a last attempt effort but got stuffed immediately.

The scene in Norman was chaotic. All the fans gathered in the Stadium to watch the game on the big screen. Those diehard fans actually went to the Bowl. All fan were on the edge of their seats. They all saw Thomas running, several stood up, all quiet. The ref raised his hands to signal the TD and the whole country probably heard the cheers. What an upset!! Good game Sooners, you guys deserve it.

Sooners finish off the season 7-6 (4-4).

Box Score

Bama 28 3 7 0 38
    OU 7 7 14 14 42

Notable Stats:

J. Thomas 20/46, 344 yds, 3 TD. (6 Int's. Told ya it was bad.), 9 Att, 58 yds, 1 TD

J. Miller 19 Att, 103 yds, 1 TD

J. Hanna 7 Rec, 64 yds, 2 TD

J. Atkins 4 Rec, 82 yds

J. Reynolds 3 Rec, 77 yds

D. Miller 3 Rec, 83 yds, 1 TD

L. Harris 13 Tack

L. Dortch 10 Tack

J. Bird 4 Tack, 1 TFL, 2 INT

Defense overall had: 1 Sack, 3 Int's

Here's the vid of Thomas redeeming himself and becoming a hero:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/16964190