2012 Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Team News' started by NDCOLTS1979, Apr 11, 2012.

1. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Prospects
    1) Brett Jackson, OF, Grade B+: I love his broad range of skills...speed, power, patience, defense. Only problem is a high strikeout rate which could foretell adjustment issues and/or preclude a high batting average. A more complete player than newly-acquired Rizzo, so ranks ahead for me.

2) Anthony Rizzo, 1B, Grade B+: Acquired today from Padres for Andrew Cashner. Nobody should panic about 128 at-bats. Although he's not going to hit .300 in the majors, Rizzo should provide plenty of power and walks and I think he'll make the needed adjustments. Maximum outcome: Ryan Howard. Worst-case: Chris Davis.

3) Javier Baez, SS-3B, Grade B: 2011 first-round pick. Outstanding bat speed, should hit for average and power. Questions revolve around future position as well as volatile personality. Higher ceiling than Jackson or Rizzo but we need to clear these issues up first.

4) Matt "Scrabble" Szczur, OF, Grade B-: Borderline B. Grade under review. Outstanding tools but still learning how to play baseball. Uses speed very well, skilled defensively, should develop more power but plate discipline slipped in High-A.

5) Trey McNutt, RHP, Grade B-: Hampered by nagging injuries in Double-A and gets a partial mulligan, although stock is legitimately down a bit. I am concerned by low strikeout rate.

6) Dillon Maples, RHP, Grade B-: 14th round pick with second-round talent, hasn't pitched yet. Scouting reports point to number two starter potential, or perhaps a relief ace if he doesn't develop a changeup, or if his funky delivery results in durability issues. Grade speculative given lack of pro data.

7) Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B-: 2011 second-round pick. I really, really believe in this bat. Enormous power combined with legitimate hitting skills and strong plate discipline. Main problem is jumbo size; at times he has carried more pounds than I do, and he's not a sedentary middle-aged writer. If he can stay in decent condition he could move quite quickly and provides a backup plan if Rizzo doesn't work out.

8) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Excellent athlete, with power and speed, great throwing arm. Poor plate discipline, erratic track record, and probable position switch hurt stock, but has tremendous upside. Much better physical ceiling than Vogelbach, of course, but I'm less confident in his ability to hit.

9) Welington Castillo, C, Grade C+: Considerable power with a great throwing arm, still somewhat raw with the glove. Spotty strike zone judgment could be an issue, but could supplant Geovany Soto eventually.

10) Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP, Grade C+: Tommy John survivor saw velocity boost, continued to throw strikes, and was extremely effective in High-A down the stretch, posted 32/5 K/BB in last 25 innings with 2.16 ERA. If he maintains that momentum in 2012, will break through and shoot up prospect lists.

11) Josh Vitters, 3B-1B, Grade C+: Placement is very difficult. You can make a case as high as eight or as low as 15. Strengths remain age (22) and contact ability, but still short-circuits himself with impatience. At some point he's got to produce more than this, and with the new regime in place he needs to take that step forward now.

12) Jeimer Candelario, 3B, Grade C+: Outstanding performance in the Dominican Summer League. Scouting reports are good, too. Unfortunately DSL performance is not particularly predictive, but he has good plate discipline and scouts are impressed with him. May face position switch. Could rank much higher once we see him in North America.

13) Marco Hernandez, SS, Grade C+: Solid performance in Arizona Rookie League, gap power, should hit for average, and can remain at shortstop. Could also rank much higher a year from now.

14) Chris Carpenter, RHP, Grade C+: Power arm pitched poorly in Triple-A bullpen due to command issues but looked much better in Arizona Fall League. Dominant when his command is working.

15) Rafael Dolis, RHP, Grade C+: Could rank as high as 10th if you aren't concerned by his poor strikeout rate in Double-A. Power sinker could get him significant major league innings in 2012 but will need better command to close. I don't like him as much as some other people do, but upper-90s sinkers are rare.

16) Zach Cates, RHP, Grade C+: Acquired in the Cashner/Rizzo trade. Often overlooked due to 4.78 ERA in Low-A, but he has a live arm and peripheral stats were much better. Breakthrough possible.

17) Ben Wells, RHP, Grade C+: Arkansas high school talent from 2010 draft is another sinkerball expert, impressed scouts in Northwest League. Number three starter upside.

18) Dave Sappelt, OF, Grade C+: Acquired in Sean Marshall deal. Perfect fourth outfielder with a broad balance of average tools/skills.

19) Ronald Torreyes, 2B, Grade C+: Acquired in Sean Marshall deal from Reds. Excellent performance record, hits for average, very reliable with the glove, but undersized at 5-7, 150. Can he do what Jose Altuve did with the Astros?

20) Reggie Golden, OF, Grade C+: Struggled with contact in Northwest League. A raw hitter, but power potential is quite impressive. High risk/high reward type.

21) Gioskar Amaya, INF, Grade C+: Hit .377 in rookie ball, lacks distance power at this time and needs better plate discipline. Long-term position unsettled as well, but a nice ceiling.

22) Tony Zych, RHP, Grade C+: Lively arm drafted in fourth round in '11, projects as a closer if he sharpens his command.

23) Shawon Dunston, Jr, OF, Grade C+: Excellent speed, but lacks strength/power and raw for a bloodline player. Good upside as a leadoff type but will take time to get there.

24) Aaron Kurcz, RHP, Grade C+ Good year as a swingman in Florida State League, excellent K/IP ratio with few hits given up, above-average stuff

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Really like Rizzo, and surprised the Padres moved him. Both him and Alonzo on the same team would have been great.

3. NDCOLTS1979

Me to. He is a very nice piece not sure if i will call him up this year at some point or not. I have him visioned in at 1b next year for sure

4. NDCOLTS1979

Chicago Cubs starts out strong.
    The first sim started out well for the Chicago Cubs. They ended up 4-1 in the initial trip down the sim train. Other than being no hit by Marcum cubs performed better than expected. We didn't hit that well but we pitched very good and thats what gave us our wins. While it may or may not last Cubs are in 1st place.
    Cubs did lose Soriano for 3 weeks and has been replaced by Tony Campana on the active roster.
    Dave Sappelt has also been recalled as the injury to Joe Mather has yet to be determined.

5. NDCOLTS1979

May 11th Report
    The Chicago Cubs still are holding a lead in the standing despite all the DL work that has been going on. 19-13 gives them a 1/2 game lead over the Brewers and Cardinals.
    Since being called up Rizzo has been in a slump and lets hope he can work out of it as right now we don't have a backup till LaHair gets off his rehab assignment. Brett Jackson however must be confused because he has been red hot. He hasn't hit like this in AAA but no complaints just hope it will keep up. In his 8 games since being called up he is batting .394 6 doubles 1 triple 1 hr 3rbi and 7 runs.
    Then there is Carlos Marmol he is 1-0 14 saves 1.10 era
    Matt Garza is 4-1 with a 2.40era and has earned himself a contract extension as he never got any offers and was just inquired about. He has been taken off the block.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NDCOLTS1979

May 21st Report
    Cubs continue hot streak going 8-2
    Top 3 Performers
    Castro .422avg 19hit 4rbi
    Stewart .344avg 4hr 6rbi
    Dejesus .351avg 1hr 9rbi

• Like Like x 1
  7. NDCOLTS1979

Cubs have Selected SP Michael Nash. Fresh out of High School and under 18 Cubs went for him. In High School he was 10-1 1.04er 170K 18BB.

according to scouts

Nash is a scout's dream. It's easy to project a lot of star seasons in the future

Stuff:
    His stuff shows respectable potential. If he gets smarter and stronger, he could have a job in the big leagues for a while

Movement:
    His breaking stuff is well above average, especially tough from the opposite side of the plate. Tends to overthrow under pressure, Which makes his fastball straighten out and gets him in trouble

Control:
    Really shows good command, and picks his spots well. Probably wont walk to mant. I wouldnt say his control is outstanding but defintely above average.

Personality:
    Nash is a guy other players look up to. A good influence to have on the team.

Throws 94-96mph
    Groundball 67%

• Like Like x 1
  8. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Always a gamble with those HS pitchers, so far away from the bigs. Will be fun to see if he becomes a great MLB'er

9. NDCOLTS1979

Yes it is a gamble. Figured whats the worse than can happen cubs farm cant get worse than it is. If he can do it then its a huge plus

10. NDCOLTS1979