2012 Maryland Terrapins Recruiting and Preview

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Timpegoose, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

[​IMG]
    Team Needs​
    1 TE, 1 K, 2 DT, 1 OLB, 1 MLB​
    Total Seniors: 18​
    Total Scholarships Available: 24 (19 seniors + 1 extra + 4 empty roster slots)​
    2012 Commitments
    Name | Pos | Rank | Caliber | Height | WT | Hometown​
    Stephen Williams | DT | 19 | :4stars: | 6'1 | 277 | Wheaton-Glenmont, Maryland​
    Clarence Douglas | T | | :4stars: | 6'3 | 349 | Dundalk, Maryland​
    Brandon Barber | OLB | 3 | :4stars: | 6'1 | 218 | Fairland, Maryland​
    Kris Hughes | QB | 8 | :4stars: | 6'4 | 197 | Sayreville, New Jersey​
    Reggie Dunlap | OLB | 22 | :3stars: | 6'6 | 237 | Washington, DC​
    Eric Wright | FS | 21 | :3stars: | 6'4 | 200 | Farmington, Michigan​
    Jack Roberts | C | 16 | :3stars: | 6'2 | 283 | Westbrook, Maine​
    Victor White | MLB | 64 | :2stars: | 6'2 | 237 | Ashland, Kentucky​

2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Offense
    The offense only returns 3 starters this season, all from the offensive line. The Terrapins lost impact receivers Ronnie Tyler and Torrey Smith, halfback Davin Meggett, tight end Lansford Watson, and quarterback Jamarr Robinson. Gary Douglas has been able to rack up 333 yards in back up roles over the previous 2 seasons, averaging 5.2 yards per carry. Douglas looks to be the focus of this year's offense, along with the smaller, quicker, Caleb Porzel. The Terrapins receiving corps returns 3 players who have caught a pass in their carrer, led by senior Kerry Boykins who has caught 20 balls for 376 yards and 1 TD. Quarterback Danny O'Brien played solid stepping in for an injured Robinson as a sophomore, and was solid in his role as a backup last season. O'Brien will be looking to lead the offense and make something out of his inexperienced receiving corps.

Defense
    The defense returns 3 All-Americans, including user voted ACC player of the year Darin Drakeford. The secondary has good experience, returning 3 year starter Eric Franklin and 2nd year starter Dexter McDougle (both All-Americans). The secondary will look to continue the trend of forcing turnovers and making big plays for the defense. The linebackers return 2 of 3 starters, only losing OLB Ben Pooler. Demetrius Hartsfield and Darin Drakefield will look to lead the linebackers after both having solid seasons last year. The interior line should be a strength for us this year with seniors AJ Francis and Ian Davidson both returning combining for 11 sacks and 28 TFL in their careers. Carl Russell makes a 3rd returning senior starter for the Terrapins, and will be starting on the right side, with junior Drew Gloster starting for the first time on the left.

Special Teams
    Do it all special teams player Nick Ferrara will take over both the kicking and punting roles again this season due to the lack of talent at the punter position. Incoming freshman Aaron Royal redshirted this season in order to improve his leg strength and hopefully be a 4 year starter for the Terrapins.

3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Updated. I'm really liking my recruiting class so far. Hopefully I can bring in 12 more recruits and at least replace the seniors I have leaving. I only have 66 rostered players, so if I don't start bringing in bigger classes I'm going to start running low on numbers.

4. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Signed :4stars: T Clarence Douglas

Looks to be a solid tackle with good strength. More of a pass blocker, but adequate in run blocking. He should be a solid 2-3 year starter for us.